Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Purslow would have been acting under instruction somewhat by Hicks & Gillet so wouldn't put put too much weight into bin dippers dislike of him during his period there. Also what instruction was he given by NSWE in terms of recruitment strategy and level of autonomy. 

if it means the self serving past it Rafa doesn’t end up here then that’s another reason to keep him for me. 

1 hour ago, useless said:

We can't get rid of everyone just because we're having a disappointing season. Overall he seems to be doing a good job and seems to be a good ambassador for the club.

I hope you’re right. I think a lot depends on decisions made in the summer. If there seems to be a general acceptance of our plight and Suso keeps his job, regardless of what happens to Smith and which division we’re in, then I’d be concerned. 

The owners are supposed to be very ambitious but to keep the guy in charge of recruitment when there is virtually nobody arguing that recruitment has been anything but a failure would suggest otherwise.

I’d also have to ask how many other clubs of our size with wealthy new owners trying to make an impression would be trying to poach Brentford’s manager? I mean that with no disrespect to either Brentford or Dean Smith, but you get my point. 

Edited by DaveAV1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I hope you’re right. I think a lot depends on decisions made in the summer. If there seems to be a general acceptance of our plight and Suso keeps his job, regardless of what happens to Smith and which division we’re in, thdd Ed n I’d be concerned. 

The owners are supposed to be very ambitious to keep the guy in charge of recruitment when there is virtually nobody arguing that recruitment has been anything but a failure would suggest otherwise.

I’d also have to ask how many other clubs of our size with wealthy new owners trying to make an impression would be trying to poach Brentford’s manager? I mean that with no disrespect to either Brentford or Dean Smith, but you get my point. 

Yep the actions of our board in the summer will tell us much.

Smith was an easy pick -Brentford were never going to put up much of a fight to keep him.

Can't possibly see how susso can stay - his position is untenable.

A high profile manager might want to choose his own players - so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Susso wasn't replaced.

The blame for recruitment will fall at the door of Suso and to some extent Smith as well presuming he gets a say in who we sign, that's where the changes if any, are likely to come, can't see Purslow going anywhere unless he chooses to do so of his own accord, maybe if we bring in a serious Director of Football then he will have less involvement on the football side of things.

Also us poaching Brentford's manager proved to be a very good decision as it got us promoted, even if we go down, we've still got the the TV money and then the parachute payments again, and Grealish's value has doubled, maybe trippled since then as well, so we're much more stable financially than we would have been had we not come up.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Yep the actions of our board in the summer will tell us much.

Smith was an easy pick -Brentford were never going to put up much of a fight to keep him.

Can't possibly see how susso can stay - his position is untenable.

A high profile manager might want to choose his own players - so it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if Susso wasn't replaced.

We're not going to change our entire structure because 'a high profile manager might want to choose his own players'. Otherwise, it's just another step backward to the olden days where the manager controls absolutely everything. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I hope you’re right. I think a lot depends on decisions made in the summer. If there seems to be a general acceptance of our plight and Suso keeps his job, regardless of what happens to Smith and which division we’re in, thdd Ed n I’d be concerned. 

The owners are supposed to be very ambitious to keep the guy in charge of recruitment when there is virtually nobody arguing that recruitment has been anything but a failure would suggest otherwise.

I’d also have to ask how many other clubs of our size with wealthy new owners trying to make an impression would be trying to poach Brentford’s manager? I mean that with no disrespect to either Brentford or Dean Smith, but you get my point

The owners ambition was to get promoted.

They hired Dean Smith and we got promoted.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We're not going to change our entire structure because 'a high profile manager might want to choose his own players'. Otherwise, it's just another step backward to the olden days where the manager controls absolutely everything. 

Who do you mean by entire structure ?......Susso ?

1 minute ago, hippo said:

everything. If sack Suso will just bring another guy to replace him. We wont be going back to the old school British manager wheeling and dealing

Suso* 

And going from having a DoF/Transfer Team to giving the manager free reign again is a massive change. And stupid. 

4 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Suso* 

And going from having a DoF/Transfer Team to giving the manager free reign again is a massive change. And stupid. 

A top manager (to an extent) will insist on a degree of control over transfers.

Depends who are next manager is - IMO Id be more concerned with the calibre of the staff than what there job titles are.

• Like 2

A top manager (to an extent) will insist on a degree of control over transfers.

Depends who are next manager is - IMO Id be more concerned with the calibre of the staff than what there job titles are.

What do you base this assertion on?

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

What do you base this assertion on?

You wouldn't get the likes of klopp , poch, mourinho having players brought for them.

Granted they probably have scouts and guys to handle the legals etc - make the transfer happen - like I say it depends how good these guys are - not so much what there job title is.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

The owners ambition was to get promoted.

They hired Dean Smith and we got promoted.

Surely that wasn’t the full extent of their ambition going forward? I’m not particularly criticising them so far because as you say they wanted to get promoted and did. But they also want to stay up and move forward to challenge higher up the league and for trophies. Right now it’s very touch and go as to if we will even stay up. 

We’re obviously much better as a club than we were 2 years ago, even if we go down. But I think this situation is an early test of their ownership and how they respond will say a lot about our immediate and long term future. 

• Like 1

Just now, hippo said:

You wouldn't get the likes of klopp , poch, mourinho having players brought for them.

Granted they probably have scouts and guys to handle the legals etc - make the transfer happen - like I say it depends how good these guys are - not so much what there job title is.

Let's take the first example, Klopp.

Liverpool have pretty much exactly the same structure as we do - there is a transfer team in place, which includes a DoF, a recruitment head and the manager has his input but isn't the one solely responsible.

You seem to think we're doing something unusual that the top teams don't do. They do it, that's why we're trying to do it too. 

• Like 1

As has been mentioned many times before Michael Edwards makes the transfers at Liverpool not Klopp. Begiristain does them at City not Pep

• Like 1

In addition to the above, Poch made it clear he's the coach, not the manager,

The days of a a manager running the club and having the final say are gone. Fergie was probably the last of his breed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Let's take the first example, Klopp.

Liverpool have pretty much exactly the same structure as we do - there is a transfer team in place, which includes a DoF, a recruitment head and the manager has his input but isn't the one solely responsible.

You seem to think we're doing something unusual that the top teams don't do. They do it, that's why we're trying to do it too. 

As I said it's the calibre of the people in the positions not what the job titles are

We've had Steve Round as DoF - and RDM as manager 

Edited by hippo

Â