Christian Purslow

villan-scott

This bit caught my eye:

"When you say to any club, 'We want you to agree to a bunch of rule changes that may make it more likely that you get relegated', they're not thinking about TV money, they're thinking, 'My goodness, am I going to agree to something that results in me being relegated and losing £200m?"'

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11983955/premier-league-relegation-could-cost-200m-aston-villa-against-neutral-venues-christian-purslow

It's the line that says "They're not thinking about TV money" that's the big giveaway. 

When someone wants you to do something, but that something might hurt you, it's hard to think about their aims rather than your own. "They're not thinking about TV money" like they're supposed to, like it's the matter at hand. The quote pretty much confirms that the meetings are about how to get the TV money, that the TV money is the driver and that TV money is the aim of Project Restart.

I think that's why the bottom teams feel it's appropriate to ask about removing relegation. On the face of it is a disgraceful request in sporting terms, to completely remove one of the key elements of a competition is an outrageous thing to ask for, but the chairmen, the people who've been in the meetings, they know that this isn't that competition, they know that the meetings aren't really about the end of Premier league season 2019-20 in anything but name, the meetings are about the manufacture of enough football product to satisfy broadcasters - nothing more and nothing less - on that basis, you can see why they'd have the gall to ask.

I think we'll play, I think it will be a complete farce from a sporting perspective with weakened teams, odd form, no atmosphere and a show of desperation from broadcast providers hyping it up as the triumphant return of football - I think it'll be harmful to the game in the long term and potentially harmful to the health of the nation in the short term. A sick joke masquerading as football - but hey, that's money.

• Like 3

That Sky report really does spell out what we're giving up. It would be negligent of him to agree to it without assurances. 

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow says the Premier League are “nowhere near” finding a formula that would allow it to finish the season.

Professional football in England has been suspended since mid-March because of the coronavirus outbreak, with the United Kingdom recording more than 30,000 deaths.

The 20 Premier League clubs discussed plans for a possible return to action in June in “approved neutral venues” but the league cannot take any steps until a government decision on possible changes to lockdown restrictions.

“I’m told how keen government are to get football back. I remain of the view that we’re going to complete this season and it’s a question of ‘when and how?’ not ‘if’.”

Villa were second bottom when the season was halted and Purslow has previously said relegation would be a £200million catastrophe for any club.

“Yes, of course I have to look after my club’s interests but there is a duty on 20 Premier League clubs to find a formulation that we know is nowhere near perfect but gets football back to complete the season,” Purslow added.

“People have to see through that we need 20 clubs to be happy and that’s the statesmanship job that’s needed at the moment in the league.”

Edited by useless

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

But is it really that much of a home advantage when it's being played without the crowd?

The crowd really is what can make the difference.

Some of our players might be more on it without the pressure of us lot glaring down on them and ranting when its not happening for them. It might be a good thing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Phil Silvers said:

Some of our players might be more on it without the pressure of us lot glaring down on them and ranting when its not happening for them. It might be a good thing.

I think the VP crowd has been superb all season.

There's very rarely been a case of them turning on the players.

I'm really torn with Purslow.

Part of me thinks he is a really smooth operator, a calm, collected, honest, critical thinking and very very intelligent guy.

The other part of me thinks he is a bit like a snake oil salesman.

I cant knock the work he has done at villa so far though (especially the rebuilding of the youth setup)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaVilla said:

Part of me thinks he is a really smooth operator, a calm, collected, honest, critical thinking and very very intelligent guy.

I cant knock the work he has done at villa so far though (especially the rebuilding of the youth setup)

His job is to run a business, he's not a charity or healthcare worker.

Not sure what people actually expect him to be saying.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, MaVilla said:

I am very happy with the above.  I don't really mind if I wouldn't really fancy having a pint with him as long as he is doing a good job for us  as we have had such a poor run of day to day chief exec/club sectaries since Steve Stride left Villa.

• Like 3

Purslow is a breathe of fresh air, a sensible head that knows the game and speaks with certainy and pragmatism. A welcome departure from the clown shoes media engagement worn by the previous ownership team.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

His job is to run a business, he's not a charity or healthcare worker.

Not sure what people actually expect him to be saying.

Urm, pretty sure I never once mentioned he was, or I expected him to be a charity or a healthcare worker.

How on earth did you read that in to what I said?

3 hours ago, MaVilla said:

Both of them are positives in his position. If this was Wyness going these meetings he be a yes man unless they were making changes to the buffet. 

I imagine Purslow asks the right questions 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Urm, pretty sure I never once mentioned he was, or I expected him to be a charity or a healthcare worker.

How on earth did you read that in to what I said?

Apologies, I think I tried to answer a number of posts at once, with a reply to your post.

Wasn't necessarily aimed directly at you.

9 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

I've seen this said so many times but it's absolute bilillex.  If it were a problem our point's earned wouldn't be so massively skewed to at home as it clearly is. 

On 06/05/2020 at 22:34, S-Platt said:

As I have mentioned before this vote thing is not just for this season it sets a rule to follow for future outbreaks.

6 teams that are in the relegation mire at the moment could well change if this happens again.

You are voting on something that could cost you big time in the future not just this season.

There will be more than the 6 voting on what should happen this season with an eye on the future.

I think the vote Monday should be pretty simple.  Finish the season as it began with fans.  Or Cancel.  Anything else will destroy the game.

Totally agree.

The proposals are a futile attempt to pacify the TV companies. Those that think they are safe, it will come back and bite them at a later date.

As you say, finish as we started or cancel it.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

He wants crowds to be in at the start of next season (September). I would think that is being a tad optimistic.

Nah.

As long as the crowd is weekly tested it's fine.

• Haha 1

Â