Christian Purslow

villan-scott

9 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why did he say the long term goal is 6th 7th 8th?

Dean Smith clearly said after the promotion that we're aiming for 1st.

That's not what he meant. A lot of people are tipping us for relegation or a 17th place finish. His point was that the Big 6 currently have financial resources at their disposal which dwarf ours, but we can target 6th/7th/8th in the near future, and then kick on from there.

That doesn't contradict Smith's view that we aim to get 3 points from every single match.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

Except Arsenal

Look at their accumulated spend over the last 5 seasons, and their wage bill. We won't catch up with that in one transfer window.

Anyway, nobody is saying that the Big 6 teams can't have bad seasons. At least one of Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd will have a bad year this season, and probably get caught by Leicester, Wolves or Everton. Doesn't change the overall maths, which is that the established Champions League and Europa League clubs are wielding different financial resources from us.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I think he said something along the lines of that's where we are aiming to get back to and then push on from there. That's how I heard it in truth. No way are these not going to want European football. If we stay up this season and next we can then build a more exclusive team just adding higher quality as we go in lesser numbers. This season was always going to be about personnel in numbers and stability. I think even staying up we will be looking at squad building for the next 2 years before we can really start to push on. Rome in a day and all that malarkey. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

He didn’t. He said the first step is to establish ourselves as the 6th/7th/8th team in the premier league and THEN outperform that. 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

I think he said something along the lines of that's where we are aiming to get back to and then push on from there. That's how I heard it in truth. No way are these not going to want European football. If we stay up this season and next we can then build a more exclusive team just adding higher quality as we go in lesser numbers. This season was always going to be about personnel in numbers and stability. I think even staying up we will be looking at squad building for the next 2 years before we can really start to push on. Rome in a day and all that malarkey. 

He said we want to be 8, 9th, 10, and then BETTER than achievement.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

He said we want to be 8, 9th, 10, and then BETTER than achievement.

You've lost me dude?! That's what I said virtually. I didn't quote him though.

"he said something along the lines of that's where we are aiming to get back to and then push on from there".

Isn't pushing on, bettering?  European football is a 6th place and upward finish which would be better than 8,9 or 10th?! 

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

You've lost me dude?! That's what I said virtually. I didn't quote him though.

"he said something along the lines of that's where we are aiming to get back to and then push on from there".

Isn't pushing on, bettering?  European football is a 6th place and upward finish which would be better than 8,9 or 10th?! 

I was backing up your post, not opposing it 😏

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s still the one that recruited Wyness.  Madness! 

Xia judgement is dodgy but I dont feel he came in with bad intentions like say the Bolton Owner and strip the club.

Wyness I never trusted.

We have good (and Capable - See Lerner Good Intentions crap execution) people running AND Owning our club now, with the best intentions for our Club, Respect the History of the Club but want to push forward and create their own history.

Last Time I think this all synced up was pre 1940!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Â