Christian Purslow

villan-scott

Just a thought on the whole minority investor line. Do we think that this is part of an FFP dodge, by avoiding a huge salary for him, but instead as an investor he benefits from the profitability of the club, and the new commercial deals he brings in, via part ownership/investment. 

• Like 4

He might be hated by Liverpool fans as he was associated with their owners back then.  He found the new owners they now love.

Having Liverpool and Chelsea on your CV is a step up from Aberdeen and Everton!

• Like 1

This article from a Chelsea perspective seems positive -

Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck thanks Purslow for his contributions, and I think we can all join in on those. Chelsea would not be as competitive in modern football as we are without the work of men like Christian Purslow.

SB Nation link

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

How the **** do you know who that is?!  I've just let out a proper LOL  :crylaugh:

Believe it or not they actually still show this on Swedish telly from time to time :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

How the **** do you know who that is?!  I've just let out a proper LOL  :crylaugh:

Going waaaay off topic here, but I think that “Keeping up appearances” is one of the most watched UK sitcoms overseas. It plays to the idea of fussy English posh people doing stupid things.

• Like 1

If you read his Wikipedia page, he actually secured the sale to the current owners, as well as the deal for Standard Chartered (still their sponsor) and dealt with the £350m loan with RBS that Liverpool had (which lead to the sale to the now Fenway Group from Hicks & Gillett - some issues there but I think Liverpool fans would agree new owners are better). The issue with Liverpool fans was the whole sacking Benitez/hiring Hodgson - however he may have been in charge when Benitez was given the 5 year contract as well so could be that he did initally support Benitez... 

At Chelsea he secured the deals with Yokohama (still their shirt sponsor) and Nike (still making their kits and the deal was worth £900million). It sounds like he has sorted them out financially for years to come. 

Whilst Liverpool fans may not like him, at both clubs he has put in impressive financial dealings. I think we may have got a significant improvement on Wyness... 

• Like 4

This guy seems to have mainly a commercial background, not much actual CEO experience, so I guess we wait to see how it pans out. 

I was mildly amused and irritated in equal measure by the fact that Dr Xia had to have his own paragraph on the club statement, as if to suggest he still has some influence over events. Not sure how sustainable it is for this split ownership to continue. I want the guys who are really in charge to have full control. 

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

This guy seems to have mainly a commercial background, not much actual CEO experience, so I guess we wait to see how it pans out. 

I was mildly amused and irritated in equal measure by the fact that Dr Xia had to have his own paragraph on the club statement, as if to suggest he still has some influence over events. Not sure how sustainable it is for this split ownership to continue. I want the guys who are really in charge to have full control. 

Xia owns 40 something percent so I think technically he is at the moment the majority owner, and I think part of the process of the others taking over is that he saves face in China by looking like he is controlling things

14 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Hes like the little fat kid in school who you have to pick on your side just to show of goodwill.

1 hour ago, thejoker said:

Liverpool fans seem to hate him for some reason, but I’m happy to trust the judgement of our two billionaire owners.

Sure Hicks and Gillett hired him for Liverpool ;)

Â