England v Spain/England v Switzerland

andykeenan

The squad 

GK : Jack Butland (Stoke City), Alex McCarthy (Southampton), Jordan Pickford (Everton)

DEF : Trent Alexander-Arnold (Liverpool), Joe Gomez (Liverpool), Harry Maguire (Leicester City), Danny Rose (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Shaw (Manchester United), John Stones (Manchester City), James Tarkowski (Burnley), Kieran Trippier (Tottenham Hotspur), Kyle Walker (Manchester City)

MID : Dele Alli (Tottenham Hotspur), Fabian Delph (Manchester City), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Jordan Henderson (Liverpool), Adam Lallana (Liverpool), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Raheem Sterling (Manchester City),

ATT : Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Marcus Rashford (Manchester United), Danny Welbeck (Arsenal).

back to moaning about england

lallana injured since april? straight back in

welbeck is not and never will be good enough, not sure how many squads he has to get called up to before someone realises it, he wont play, waste of a spot, same goes for phil jones

so there's 3 spots that he could have gambled and gone with grealish, maddison, mount, sessegnon or sancho

just makes it boring, i dont know if this nations league with a team of our level means that we wont look at it as a cycle anymore, we're looking at the next year and this competition rather than looking at giving a 21 year old 10-15 caps before the big show in 2 years time

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Grealish won't get a look in while he and/or we are in the championship.

He might, unless Southgate is just saying this to get his Premier League players more time...

Gareth Southgate bemoans lack of English players playing in the Premier League

England boss Gareth Southgate says he may have to look to the Championship for players as the pool of homegrown talent in the Premier League is getting "smaller and smaller".

Southgate said that the number of English players playing in the top-flight has dropped to 30% this season.

He expressed "concern" at the lack of opportunities for young players and says a lot of players "will be lost".

"It has really serious repercussions for our national team," said Southgate.

England reached the semi-finals of the World Cup in July.

Since featuring at the World Cup, midfielder Ruben Loftus-Cheek, 22, has only played 22 competitive minutes for Chelsea.

Southgate included him in the 23-man squad for September's fixtures against Spain and Switzerland, while Stoke goalkeeper Jack Butland was also selected despite playing in the Championship.

"I can't rule out players in the Championship now as our pool is getting smaller and smaller," said Southgate.

"One of our biggest concerns is playing time for English players, shown by a number of the squad that came with us to Russia not getting opportunities to play. More concerning is that young players that may be coming through to challenge are not getting opportunities to play."

England's Under-20 and Under-17s both won their respective World Cups in 2017 and Southgate says the "talent is there".

"The missing piece is this transition from youth football to senior football," he continued.

"There is still this link between 17 to 21 where the bridge into first-team football and the financial power of the Premier League has a big impact.

"I think it's worth us having that debate and getting people around the table to discuss that missing piece. If players are as good as any young players around the world, then that opportunity needs to be there."

He added: "If we are encouraging young players about entering academies, we are selling them the dream and there's an ethical element there too."

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

Bettinelli called up for some unknown reason.

Jack must be haven't regrets about not forcing a move I imagine..

Midfielder gets injured so he calls up a fourth keeper? How weird. Maddison must be a bit pissed off, deserves a call up over any other English midfielder I can think of.

• Like 1

agree with that, maddison by all accounts has had a good start for leicester and cant get a sniff over a bloke hasnt kicked a ball in 5 months and then pulls out injured

seems a bit blinkered by southgate, even if you dont think he's ready put him in the squad and watch him train, it has to be an area of weakness that he identified during the wold cup and then the 1st chance he gets for the Euros cycle to fix it he's seemingly done absolutely nothing about it, in 2 years time maddison (or jack) should be ready so why not look at them now? sessegnon i can understand, let him play U21s but maddison and Jack are just having 2 weeks off

Edited by villa4europe

think you are missing my point, there are 2/3 players who could potentially be playing for england in Euro 2020 who are right now sat at home or doing light training at their club, there is IMO absolutely no harm in inviting them to train with the england set up this week so that they can see what its all about and the coaching staff can get a better look at them, give them a bit of coaching to let them know what they have to do to make that Euros team, maddison, winks, jack if he wasnt injured, hughes should all be at st georges park

im not suggesting they should play, i just dont think southgate has used this squad very well, there was some glaringly obvious weak points in the world cup team and his first squad post WC has done absolutely nothing at all to address them, 4 keepers being called up just makes that worse, he wants to look at keepers more than midfielders? doesnt make sense

I am interested to see how long the media will stay positive about Southgate. We all know its going to turn eventually but for how long. 

Mick McCarthy was on the radio and said after 2002 everybody was great towards him and then 2 games later the knives were out and he was gone

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

I am interested to see how long the media will stay positive about Southgate. We all know its going to turn eventually but for how long. 

Mick McCarthy was on the radio and said after 2002 everybody was great towards him and then 2 games later the knives were out and he was gone

Probably if/when England go out of quarters at euro 2020.

Semi finals wil be seen in the press as the benchmark now rightly or wrongly and England probably won't get as easy run as WC. Germany and Spain might have regrouped by then so stronger field in KO rounds.

Â