Pre-match thread

Robtaylor200

Big game for Bruce you'd have to imagine. First real test of the season for us other than Brentford. Away from home against a side in form. If we fail to turn up as has been the case on numerous occasions under Bruce away from VP,  we will get punished and the pressure will really be cranked up by the fans. If its more of the eye bleeding brand, where we are out-thought tactically and literally through the desire of well drilled opposition then I think the owners will begin to take notice and maybe start thinking of a future beyond Bruce. Just feels if we do get a result thesedays, it will be by accident rather than by design. I fully expect more players out of position and a disappointing afternoon heading into an international break full of questions.

Hopefully we can pull something out the bag but my head says

Sheff Utd 2-0 Villa

• Like 1

If anyone can confidently predict the outcome of this game then good luck to them, kind of shows where we are as a team when its even a struggle just to be optimistic.

Edited by AVFCDAN

For me, all of our games these days are less "Villa versus [Opponent]" and more a case of "Villa's players versus Bruce's tactics", and if the players are better than the tactics on the day, we get the 3 points.  If they're not and Bruce was able to sufficiently hamper their efforts, then the opponent has a chance.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't know a lot about Sheffield United - what do they do well?

They are predominantly playing a 3-4-1-2 but have also gone 5-3-2.

If we play our 4-4-1-1 then they might overrun midfield, 5 vs 3.

Also we need to be careful when our fullbacks push up-field because if we turn it over, we've got 2 center backs on the back-foot and potentially outnumbered for cover.

19 hours ago, BOF said:

For me, all of our games these days are less "Villa versus [Opponent]" and more a case of "Villa's players versus Bruce's tactics", and if the players are better than the tactics on the day, we get the 3 points.  If they're not and Bruce was able to sufficiently hamper their efforts, then the opponent has a chance.

I see what you mean but to suggest that the only way the opponent "has a chance" against us is if Bruce screws up the tactics is just not true in my view. This side are nowhere near as good as many people on here like to believe. We have some decent players and should definitely be in contention for the top 6 but for me, that's where it ends.

Any team would have a chance against our defence no matter what the tactics. With the greedy, often poor Kodjia up front, being assisted (or not) by the useless Adomah, I doub't too many sides lose sleep at the thought of playing us, regardless of tactics. There's only Jack and McGinn of any real quality in our side for me. Chester too maybe.

That said, Bruce will set up not to lose this game, which I think he will fail at.

2 hours ago, One For The Road said:

:snip:

That said, Bruce will set up not to lose this game, which I think he will fail at.

Re- the snipped bit, yes it's clear I have a higher opinion of our players and I think they'd piss this league in better hands.

As for the quote.  We're completely unpredictable.  We could go there and win 3-0 and have one of our days.  In fact it would be very Bruce to do that.  He needs a result at the moment.  He's had 3 bad ones and the noises are starting to gain momentum.  It'd be just like us to rock up like Barcelona and muller the Blades.  All that would do is have me asking why TF we can only do it once a month at most.

Looking forward to Bolasie partnering Chester though :thumb:

The line up is anyone’s guess here... I’ve tried to predict it the last few times and got it wrong. I would go:

Nyland

Elmo     Tuanzebe     Chester    Hutton

Bolasie    Hourihane   McGinn   El Ghazi

Grealish 

Kodjia

but... that won’t happen so we’ll have to wait and see!

I was gonna go Elmo/Bolasie on the right but I think the latter might come off the bench so I've gone with this.  Not what I want.  What I think.  Whelan over Barney because Bruce will have this as a tricky encounter.

1ea48b9c5abe65eb0876de726cff42e9.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

I was gonna go Elmo/Bolasie on the right but I think the latter might come off the bench so I've gone with this.  Not what I want.  What I think.  Whelan over Barney because Bruce will have this as a tricky encounter.

McGinniesta...      :clap:

• Haha 1

On 30/08/2018 at 08:57, AVFCDAN said:

If anyone can confidently predict the outcome of this game then good luck to them, kind of shows where we are as a team when its even a struggle just to be optimistic.

Feeling confident. Bang on 85 Nil.

7 hours ago, BOF said:

yes it's clear I have a higher opinion of our players and I think they'd piss this league in better hands.

Really? With our current defence, goalkeeper and striking options you think we could piss this league?

Who would partner Chester? And what happens if/when he gets injured or suspended? Which goalkeeper do you play that has us pissing the league because the ones we have are nowhere close to being that good. 

And who plays up front in this steamrolling title success? 

I get that you have lost confidence in Bruce but I think the pressure on his replacement is going to be immense if people are expecting him to blow the league away with the current squad.

Anyway, back OT, if we lose this game I suspect that with the new CEO, Bruce could be only one or two results away from the chop. Sheffield United are in great form so I am fully expecting a difficult afternoon, followed by a beleaguered looking Geordie lamenting where it all went wrong.

EDIT: Having just signed Abraham, the forward line is stronger. Still, doesn't help us defensively and that is what stops us being automatic promotion contenders.

Edited by One For The Road

31 minutes ago, troon_villan said:

Both teams to score must be a banker? 

I've got a funny feeling you'll be able to use this post in every match thread this season. 

12 hours ago, BOF said:

Whelan over Barney because Whelan is good DM and Barney isn't. This exactly team I would pick