• Grealish
    • Kodjia
    • Hourihane (Grealish 45)
    • Adomah (El Ghazi 66)
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Kodjia 90)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 28/08/18 at 18:45

3 minutes ago, thunderball said:

What’s the difference between an an ambitious ex-premier league team full of highly paid players, mostly lower premier league standard, and a lower championship side treading water.

Nothing. Even when with home advantage.

The same thoughts are passing through my head......No conviction.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

This team lacks conviction.....With the odd player exception.

3 draws on the trot.....simply not good enough.

draws at home are like defeats......we have developed a catalogue of individual errors.

woeful.

What is this failure to position a player up field when we are defending corners......absolutely no chance of an outlet ball......its sheer madness.

The manager lacks conviction. And the same mindset seems to be afflicting most of the players.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, blunther said:

Serves me right for looking forward to a match. Need to see the highlights to see wtf happened for both Reading’s goal line scrambles and the penalty. Didn’t seem any need to go to ground from where I was but that was about as far away as you can get. Can’t knock Chester too much, he doesn’t **** up often. Crushing timing though. I still generally don’t see what our game plan is. A manager’s job is to make a team greater than the sum of its parts, and ours simply doesn’t do that. 

Goal line scramble was due to yet another error from Jedinak. 

Penalty was an uncharacteristic moment of madness. 

Bottom line for me is we have to sort out the defence.  Teams do not always score and finish teams off when dominating. See Liverpool yesterday as an example.

You have to be able to see games out like we were able to last season. It’s a big concern that we can’t.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Goal line scramble was due to yet another error from Jedinak. 

Penalty was an uncharacteristic moment of madness. 

Bottom line for me is we have to sort out the defence.  Teams do not always score and finish teams off when dominating. See Liverpool yesterday as an example.

You have to be able to see games out like we were able to last season. It’s a big concern that we can’t.

We need a dominant Centre Halfat least......I am amazed that a man with Bruce's background can't see it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AntrimBlack said:

The manager lacks conviction. And the same mindset seems to be afflicting most of the players.

Its becoming harder and harder to defend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TRO said:

We need a dominant Centre Halfat least......I am amazed that a man with Bruce's background can't see it.

I think he can see it and there will be signings in that position. He must be just keeping his cards close to his chest. There is no way the window can close and this remains the squad. Not unless he wants to lose his job. 

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I think he can see it and there will be signings in that position. He must be just keeping his cards close to his chest. There is no way the window can close and this remains the squad. Not unless he wants to lose his job. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Hmmmmm. In my tinfoil hat moments, I do wonder. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That is what I am relying on, that he will bring in someone for the position, and that he is playing his cards close to his chest. But the way he is bigging up Jedinak, not sure. 

1 hour ago, chappy said:

Just caught the Quest highlights...post match chat didn’t mention us and suggested Reading deserved a point!

Don't really agree with that. I thought we deserved a win, but, as happens all too often, we were the architects of our own downfall.

Well this was my first visit to VP this season following the no show of the team at Wembley in May, and for this game I was expecting something different.

After taking my seat in the upper Holte (well standing for the duration of the game!), I looked at the team sheet and thought that is a team to get us out of this division.

I thought all the new players that played that we have bought in, including our new keeper did well.

But.....

There is no urgency in the team, sideways passing then back, only rarely did we string some good passing together and opened up Reading with ease however this was rare. At 0-0 halftime I always thought we would score eventually we had enough chances to be out of reach of Reading. However Kodja was hopeless to be honest, maybe it was one of those games, but he never really had control of the ball.

The way Villa play these days is, we eventually slowly pass our way..... oh so slowly towards the Reading penalty area.... and then once in range try either try and do an Arsenal and walk the ball into the net or any player who decided to shoot then we were rewarded with a shot of all the power, accuracy and venom that my old 80 year old mum could equal if she were playing.

I think one word sums up yesterdays performance...... frustrating.

So if the players don't seem to know what to do on the pitch then what is the solution?....is it the elephant in the room SB?...but we are undeafted!

Putting this into context, having dropped 6 points already against teams we really should be beating and looking at last seasons final table positions another 6 points would have put us joint second, this is the difference between staying in this division or going up.

As my old skool report always said "D+ below average, could do better"

Â