The Doug Ellis stand

mrchnry

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Erm..... Whitton Lane Stand.   Anyone? Anyone?  Class! Anyone? 

Why the H ?

Has the area been renamed since my youth ?

Or do you intend to pay tribute to the ex-Bluenose striker of that name ? ?

Edited by hooter
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yeah it would make sense.

They could sponsor the stand/end but it wouldn't need to be named the same?

The Stretford end at Old Trafford for instance, it had a massive Nike swoosh across the seating pattern a few years back but retained its name.

I wouldn’t mind a sponsors name on the North Stand, it’s a pretty boring generic name anyway. To be homest, it’s the way of the world now, so if it means we get more money and spend it on better players, then I can except it. Although I’d like to think they would leave the Holte End alone. That’ll always be he Holte no matter what they call it. The greatest end in football. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, blandy said:

I think it's unlikely to get renamed unless it's knocked down and rebuilt (applies to both the North and the Witton Lane stands).

Agreed. I'm not a fan of Ellis, and don't believe the stand should ever have bared his name in the first place, but it would almost feel spiteful and kind of disrespectful to change the name unless as you say, it was rebuilt.

I can’t stand Ellis (see what I did there) because of what he did to the old Trinity but also because of the cheap, architectural monstrosity that replaced it.

However, I would like us to show a bit of a class and sensitivity to an elderly man by not changing it during his lifetime.

9 hours ago, hooter said:

Why the H ?

Has the area been renamed since my youth ?

Or do you intend to pay tribute to the ex-Bluenose striker of that name ? ?

gallery_pa-1485511.jpg

4 hours ago, Stephen_Evans said:

I can’t stand Ellis (see what I did there) because of what he did to the old Trinity but also because of the cheap, architectural monstrosity that replaced it.

However, I would like us to show a bit of a class and sensitivity to an elderly man by not changing it during his lifetime.

Spot on. 

Â