The Doug Ellis stand

mrchnry

I know Randy was obligated to keep the name of the stand as part of the sale but does anyone know where that stands now? Might be time for a rename. With Saunders in ill health it would be nice to honour him whilst he's alive. 

• Like 3

I call it The Scottish Stand or the Witton Lane but never the DE. The Ron Saunders Stand would be very appropriate but if they can't do that they could perhaps rename the North Stand?

• Like 1

I know it as the Witton.

As for the official name, they’ll wait for him to pass away first before they rename it. 

So by my reckoning we don’t have to worry about renaming it for at least another 20 or 30 years.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I know it as the Witton.

As for the official name, they’ll wait for him to pass away first before they rename it. 

So by my reckoning we don’t have to worry about renaming it for at least another 20 or 30 years.

I saw Doug in the players car park last season, he looked every bit the 90 year old man sadly. Saying that, you are right and he will out live us all.

3 hours ago, John said:

I call it The Scottish Stand or the Witton Lane but never the DE. The Ron Saunders Stand would be very appropriate but if they can't do that they could perhaps rename the North Stand?

I think it's unlikely to get renamed unless it's knocked down and rebuilt (applies to both the North and the Witton Lane stands).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

I saw Doug in the players car park last season, he looked every bit the 90 year old man sadly. Saying that, you are right and he will out live us all.

Yes, looking very old and frail now. Saw this last night.

I certainly think that the new owners should be proud to embrace this sort of thing. Whether that means renaming a stand (though it’s probably be the North Stand) or celebrating important figures in our club’s history, we should really push this more.

Having said that, the club also needs to be realistic and accept sponsorship opportunities on stands, too. It’s a tough balancing act but I’d really like to see the owners make a statement.

8 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I wouldn’t be overly surprised to find out we have an Adidas stand. Especially if we redeveloped the North Stand. A bargain at £25m a season. 

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Sad state of football means that unfortunately and realistically if you're going to rename anything at villa park then it has to come at a price, itll go to a sponsor not a name of a legend of the club

Yeah it would make sense.

They could sponsor the stand/end but it wouldn't need to be named the same?

The Stretford end at Old Trafford for instance, it had a massive Nike swoosh across the seating pattern a few years back but retained its name.

14 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Yeah it would make sense.

They could sponsor the stand/end but it wouldn't need to be named the same?

The Stretford end at Old Trafford for instance, it had a massive Nike swoosh across the seating pattern a few years back but retained its name.

"in association with..." seems the logical answer to the problem but im not sure if that would come at a reduced rate, if it was a back door FFP owners sponsorship deal then they might not care

i still dont fully understand how edens new basketball stadium has 4 stadium partners and naming rights (i do however like how he sold the naming rights to a company worth $31bn)

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

"in association with..." seems the logical answer to the problem but im not sure if that would come at a reduced rate, if it was a back door FFP owners sponsorship deal then they might not care

i still dont fully understand how edens new basketball stadium has 4 stadium partners and naming rights (i do however like how he sold the naming rights to a company worth $31bn)

Yes, I remember how tastefully those Salford words removed marketed the 60th anniversary of Munich "in association with AIG".

Proper classy. 

Either pay tribute, or take the coin, don't try and disguise one as the other.

• Like 2

Â