Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

What baffles me is, if Abraham desperately wants to play in the PL and as soon as possible, why are Wolves paying him such an enormous wage? He was getting a very good wage for someone who has been out on loan for most of his senior career, but north of £120k a week seems crazy. I don’t accept that this is the going rate for an unproven loan player. I can’t imagine there was a bidding war for him in January. One or two other links but surely the price is over the top. Unless there are dark forces at work?

1 hour ago, Djemba_Villan said:

Wonder if there’s any correlation between Smiths comments about not particularly liking loans and us needing to prioritise permanent signings a week or so ago and this situation?

i fail to believe these things genuinely happen out of the blue suddenly, so either we had wind of it or has there been a reaction of some sort? I agree it’s looking likely.

nothing against the guy IMO. Will watch his career with interest. Can’t help but think he can do a lot better than Wolves but I’d rather he go on to make it rather than fizzle out.

anyone but an overpriced journeyman replacement please. 

Given that we have taken a player on loan today - I would doubt it

Smith said after the Swansea game he was expecting TA in training Monday. Whatever the reason he's not turned up. A big blow but not the end of the world - we picked up Grabban in last seasons winter window and he got a few goals for us - hopefully we can find similar in the next couple of weeks.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

It’s crazy how much they are in front of us as a club. At the moment I think  we are the 7th ranked midlands club on paper regarding league position. Leicester are another midland club who are so much more progressed than we are. We are without doubt the biggest club in the region, but that’s means naff all anymore. It’s all about being in the prem, and that looks unlikely again for next season. 

Yes, but we are no 1 in terms of our fans, and it’s more important now than ever to support the team. Our time will come again!

Just now, Demitri_C said:

With loans. I don't get why we can't put clauses like club can recall player but only loan to villa for season. 

Surely that would have suited all parties??

I can only assume at the time of getting Abraham i.e. last embers of the original transfer window and against other teams, with he himself not being 100% convinced over the move IIRC, that we weren't in any position to dictate terms..just a fact of life being further down the food chain rather than being able to call the shots.

Shame if he does go, done well, tho 4 of his 16 goals came in one game, and missed his fair share of easy chances, think he will struggle in the premier league, but would’ve still liked to have kept him till the end of the season. Time to let Jimmy off the shackles.

Just now, Demitri_C said:

With loans. I don't get why we can't put clauses like club can recall player but only loan to villa for season. 

Surely that would have suited all parties??

Well, this way Chelsea get another look at Tammy in the premier league. 

In fact everyone gets a look at Tammy in the premier league. If he does well (say 8-10+ goals) there will be some justification in Chelsea saying “you want Tammy, well he can score goals in the premier league now...£35m please.” Or they’ll think “he’s shown either more promise, let’s keep him.”

If he stays at Villa, he’ll bang them in, but the question over whether he can do it in the premier league would remain and as such his value would also be questionable. Chelsea would also still be none the wiser about whether he would be any good for them.

Of course if he doesn’t score any at Wolves and is deemed a flop, they then have the issue of what to do with him, his value won’t have rocketed up and they’d probably think he isn’t going to make it for them.

It’s a bit of a gamble, but I guess Chelsea deem it to be a calculated one.

Not one to be bitter towards a player as Abraham has done exceptionally well for us this season.

But I hope he doesn't score another goal from now until the end of the season whilst warming Wolves bench... next season best of luck to the kid 😉

• Haha 1

He could have bagged 30 goals here. As good as he is, there's every chance it just doesn't work out at Wolvws as it didn't at Swansea, and then he'll be back to square one again.

Hitting 30+ goals in a promotion hunt is a bigger statement than rotating with Raul Jimenez and possibly not making an impact. I can definitely understand why he would want to play in the PL, but there's only half a season left. He'll be playing there next season regardless. If he continued with this blistering form until the end of the season it might have been at Chelsea. Best case scenario now is that he earns a loan move to Leicester or something similar next season.

• Like 3

The Wolves style doesn't seem to me to play to Abraham's strengths. They rarely crossed the ball high into the box tonight yet a lot of TA's goals for us have been headers. I think he will struggle to score goals there and I'm not being bitter by saying that. 

52 minutes ago, villarocker said:

The Wolves style doesn't seem to me to play to Abraham's strengths. They rarely crossed the ball high into the box tonight yet a lot of TA's goals for us have been headers. I think he will struggle to score goals there and I'm not being bitter by saying that. 

Only Scored 5 goals from headers at Villa. Rest of his career he has scored 2 headers

If he does poor at Wolves he's just messed it up for himself. There's no way he goes straight in at striker at Wolves so it'll be spells off the bench where he'll have to try and impress. 

It's disappointing he's leaving but we just move on I guess, I'm sure we'll find a replacement. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

What baffles me is, if Abraham desperately wants to play in the PL and as soon as possible, why are Wolves paying him such an enormous wage? He was getting a very good wage for someone who has been out on loan for most of his senior career, but north of £120k a week seems crazy. I don’t accept that this is the going rate for an unproven loan player. I can’t imagine there was a bidding war for him in January. One or two other links but surely the price is over the top. Unless there are dark forces at work?

A 6 figure weekly wage is nothing in the Premier League, even for a up and coming player like Abraham. They would have cash coming out of their ears. If he can get back in the England squad he will instantly be worth £30 million. 

Â