Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

Well we all seemed to have decided it's nonsense, meanwhile the BBC are the latest media to run an article. Noting it doesn't say Chelsea want to sell yet, but also they might just want to cash in, especially with the Pulisic purchase and 20+ players out on loan and new rules coming in over the summer.

If he does go we have to accept this is part of being in scintillating form for a mediocre team on loan, and hope Kodjia can step up. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46747906

Wolves are keen to sign striker Tammy Abraham from Chelsea.

The 21-year-old is on loan at Championship side Aston Villa, where he has scored 16 goals this season.

Wolves are exploring the possibility of exploiting a break clause in that deal to sign Abraham on a permanent basis.

Chelsea are assessing a number of their players currently out on loan and are yet to decide whether to recall Abraham, which they would have to do for any transfer to proceed.

Abraham joined Chelsea as a youth player, but is yet to start a match for the senior team.

Villa could bid for the striker themselves, although it is understood that will not happen, with manager Dean Smith ready to cover Abraham's departure with existing forwards in his squad - Jonathan Kodjia and Scott Hogan - should the need arise.

Wolves are yet to make an offer for Abraham but their interest is genuine and they believe the player, who made two senior appearances for England in 2017, would welcome the opportunity to join a Premier League club after spending last season on loan at Swansea.

Under Fifa rules, no player can play in official matches for more than two teams in one season but it is not thought Abraham's substitute appearance for Chelsea in this season's Community Shield will prevent him making the move as it is not regarded as an 'official game'.

Some plonker of a Wolves fan said on Radio WMs phone in last night that they would sign him as a squad player. I bet that would tempt Tammy. :rolleyes:  Their fans lapped up this rumour claiming he would want to sign for a "bigger club" like them. I'm hoping we can all laugh about this episode this time next season.

Edited by John
  • Like 2

SSN now reporting he can indeed register and play for another team this season after having checked with the FA.

This will drag on for the remainder of the window I'm afraid.

6 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I think Tammy has been great for us I don’t buy this if he leaves our playoff chances are over.  His job is to score goals if he gets the service and he has been getting that. 

It’s not like he has been scoring wonder goals every game. He has fantastic movement and he is getting picked out. Yes he has been clinical but I reckon any decent striker would be scoring a shed load of goals in this team.  Think of all the guilt edge chances he has also missed.  Shows how much gets created. 

I think if anything we would miss him a lot for his hold up play. That has been superb. 

You make some good points....it is his hold up play and movement that is key, but that derives from being motivated....conversely Kodj is so easily negated or put off.

Our team needs( IMO) more tenacity all over, so for that he would be missed.

I think all this speculation regarding Tammy, just shows the predicament we have found ourselves in.

I am not going over all the old ground of poor signings, but hey!!!.....We need to up our game in this area of the club.

We need our own players....The owners know that, I guess we just have to be patient....but at least the men that matter know.

ps the other worrying factor is, even with possibly the best all round striker in this division, we are still 10th....some indictment.

Edited by TRO

Wolves are an ambitious club in the Premier league and they're in need of a striker, it's a move that makes perfect sense for them.

For Abraham and his career, Wolves don't look like a club that are looking downwards and it'd be a decent move for him, a place he can either prove he's too good for or carve out a decent career at.

For us, it'd be a shame, his goalscoring rate is incredible and he's a player that's easy to warm to - but the loan market is the loan market and that's how things are.

The one piece that doesn't fit at the moment is Chelsea. If they don't rate him enough to keep him, you'd think they'd be making more noise on his availability and you'd really have to worry about the way they're run if they're valuing him at £18m.

I think if Wolves can find twice that amount the it might be a deal that suits everyone but us - as things stand though, the weird valuation is the thing that for me is still ringing the bell marked journo-makes-stuff-up. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Wolves are an ambitious club in the Premier league and they're in need of a striker, it's a move that makes perfect sense for them.

For Abraham and his career, Wolves don't look like a club that are looking downwards and it'd be a decent move for him, a place he can either prove he's too good for or carve out a decent career at.

For us, it'd be a shame, his goalscoring rate is incredible and he's a player that's easy to warm to - but the loan market is the loan market and that's how things are.

The one piece that doesn't fit at the moment is Chelsea. If they don't rate him enough to keep him, you'd think they'd be making more noise on his availability and you'd really have to worry about the way they're run if they're valuing him at £18m.

I think if Wolves can find twice that amount the it might be a deal that suits everyone but us - as things stand though, the weird valuation is the thing that for me is still ringing the bell marked journo-makes-stuff-up. 

much the way, I see it too.

The thing for me is this....How can a manager realistically launch a meaningful challenge, with this kind of uncertainty, surrounding a number of his players. I know we are not the only club, but it doesn't make it any easier.

This speculation is likely to continue through January and its quite disconcerting for everyone concerned....I maybe expecting too much, but I wish a definitive decision from Chelsea would be made, to end the speculation one way or the other.

Then we can get on with our business of building a team.

Edited by TRO

Chelsea are continuing with their rebuild and are looking at signing a top class striker, Icardi latest to be linked.

While releasing/selling some of their older players like Cahill, Fabregas... will ease the wage budget it will not bring in any real money.

I think they are willing to listen to offers for a lot of fringe players and even perhaps selling the likes of Abraham or Hudson-Odoi for the right offer.

Morata, Zappacosta, Moses and a fair few others linked with moves away.

They'll need to get money in from somewhere. 

I still don't think he will leave. 

He is absolutely fantastic at this this level but he isn't anywhere anywhere near good enough to justify the fee Chelsea would want. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

18 million for a Championship striker. I reckon Chelsea would take it if true. 

They sold Lukaku for 28m ( I know valuations have gone up but still 18m is a lot of money).

It isn't really. We paid £12 million for a fat 30 year Scotsman 2 years ago.

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

It isn't really. We paid £12 million for a fat 30 year Scotsman 2 years ago.

That was because we thought we were the Man City of the championship and had to pay double for anyone we bought and give them ridiculous wages.

I see what you mean though.

• Like 1

Might be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not sure Tammy is ready for the Premier League. At this level he is brilliant, but he misses a lot of chances. 

In the Premier League you need to be prolific and clinical with every chance you get. I was watching Leicester play Everton on the weekend and Vardy had one chance all game, to which he buried it and won the game. I'm not sure Tammy is there... Yet.

I certainly think he has the potential but for a team like Wolves and their aspirations, I think they could do better.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

18 million for a Championship striker. I reckon Chelsea would take it if true. 

They sold Lukaku for 28m ( I know valuations have gone up but still 18m is a lot of money for potential).

If Bayern have submitted an offer of 30 million for Callum Hudson - Odoi after two previous bids were turned down (he's only 18 and has played just three senior games), then Chelsea will want a lot more than 18 million for Abraham!

• Like 1

I think he is more than good enough for the Premier League, but as we all know there are different tiers in the PL. He's not a top player at the moment, he's unlikely to be Chelsea's #1 striker this season or maybe even next. He is certainly good enough for the squads of an established PL team and he'd be a starter for a PL struggler. 

Wolves are a weird one. Their fans would like to think of them as an established PL force, they are going to win the CL quite soon, don't you know? In reality they're a PL fledgling. Remember when Wigan finished in the top half? Wolves are more of a career gamble than remaining at Villa for this season. They're not getting relegated this season, but he's not guaranteed to play every game, that Mexican striker they have (on loan I think) looks quite good to me. They're also not going to achieve what Chelsea could in the next few years. 

If he wants to play for Chelsea, then he needs to stay at Villa. I think he's better than Wolves, and I think he probably thinks he is too. 

• Like 2

We are mugs, when you loan a player this is exactly what happens, it’s rarely a beneficial move for the loaning club unless the deal is locked out and with a transparent buy option.

We are minnows now, our past three seasons have been a massively missed opportunity, admittedly in hindsight. What worries me is what happens if we ever go up with our Dads army and vanishing loanees. Any worthy outfield PL player starts at £15-20m, and it’s all north of this when they are half decent. We will be spending Fulham money just to stick a plaster over our squad. Get it right in this division and go up on clear merit, not lucking it via the playoffs, we’ll be back here in 12months minus Grealish, Chester, McGinn, Kalinic and a few others maybe too.

• Like 1

Â