Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

9 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Why does it feel Terry has had a say in this or at least he's been listened too. Wonder if he was sent with a clear message that if Tammy fires us to promotion then we will offer more, of course I'm just speculating and hoping lol..

If JT was the man or deciding factor behind Chelsea saying No to selling Tammy to other clubs, if Tammy staying at villa and not leaving for wolves or any other club,  if that's all Terry did this season for us in my eyes John would be a champion alone, especially if Tammy fires us into the premier.

Unsure of this. Perhaps more pertinently the decision aids Chelsea's business model. Hoard a large number of top young European talent, make effective use of the loan system (exposing the players to competitive football and placing in shop-window) and sell at the highest price, at peak interest in that 'commodity'. They've been very successful with this recently. Indeed, unless Wolves are willing to offer a very high fee (~30 million) this window, it makes more financial sense to hold off until the summer to reassess. Tammy is on track to get upward of 30 championship goals, showing a well-rounded game and good fitness record, whilst still having a number of years on his Chelsea contract and still only 21 years old. What I am more certain of is that if Chelsea are not willing to sell in this window it will be for monetary reasons, as they are unflinchingly unsentimental in their transfer policy.

However, I am less sure as to whether Chelsea would see cutting our loan short and arranging a loan deal to a premier league club as a better option. It's a risk, as he could be a relative 'flop', as was with Swansea, but with greater reward, added value if he scores 10-15 goals in the 2nd half of the season. I suppose this would depend on Tammy's, Eddie Newton's and Abramovich's adviser's thoughts. Perhaps, Terry could have an influence here ( I hope so).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

Still say this has all come from one Hack bullshitting through his teeth, drawing all the lowest common denominator gobshites with him.

Yes. Nixon has a elastic view of journalistic integrity and truth. He engineered the whole saga earlier in December too, stating that Chelsea had a recall option and would exercise this. Its the nature of modern journalism and serves to drum up clicks. I think he has a little skin in the game regards Bruce too. 

9 hours ago, TRO said:

I want Tammy to stay with us, even longer than the summer....permanent for me.

However, If the Wolves Interest has foundation, its a great move for him, a team sitting 7th... just beat a top team away from home in Spurs...progressive with rich owners.

He is 21 and the world at his feet....It would be his first real step in his career ( not the final one as some have alluded too, his dream move and all that bollox) its a massive opportunity to progress himself.....Only to be outflanked by us buying him and the love affair can properly flourish.

Agreed. I just think for the 'sale' there is one big stumbling block, Chelsea.

If you consider the agents and their motives at play in this saga, I think a loan could be more likely (see above), but comes with its own risks. I feel like the decision here lies with Chelsea (primarily) and Tammy. To my knowledge, Chelsea do not like loans with inbuilt future transfer fees, as it limits their negotiation power. So a loan without a guaranteed transfer seems likely.  Now, you have to also consider whether Wolves would consider it good sense to loan without an agreed fee until the end of the season. Let me unpack that, without a large turnaround in form, Wolves appear safe, so would potentially increasing Tammy's value make sense. In that regard, I think a team such as Cardiff, Burnley or perhaps Palace seem more likely.

If we consider the man himself. I think Tammy is highly competitive (it's part of what makes him a instinctual goalscorer) and would relish the opportunity to perform of the highest stage again. However, you cannot discount his sense of belonging and commitment, the influence of JT and the options and coaches on offer in the premier league.  I think whatever happens, the rumors will rumble on until the end of the window or until he leaves. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Disagree ...... If Tammy goes then Kodjia can go back to where he wants to be as the "main man" causing havoc in and around the box. Kodjia can't play with Abraham so we are getting a 50% Kodjia at the moment.

Rather keep Abraham but his departure simply opens the door for Kodjia to get back to where he was two seasons back.

No way can Kodjia play the same role as Abraham and be as prolific a goal scorer. More likely Smith would try and restore Hogan to that role.

Hmm. Let’s hope TA is staying then!!  

59 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

No way can Kodjia play the same role as Abraham and be as prolific a goal scorer. More likely Smith would try and restore Hogan to that role.

Hmm. Let’s hope TA is staying then!!  

He was quite prolific before his injury. But I agree, not been quite the same since.

• Like 1

Whilst I think Tammy has been great for us I don’t buy this if he leaves our playoff chances are over.  His job is to score goals if he gets the service and he has been getting that. 

It’s not like he has been scoring wonder goals every game. He has fantastic movement and he is getting picked out. Yes he has been clinical but I reckon any decent striker would be scoring a shed load of goals in this team.  Think of all the guilt edge chances he has also missed.  Shows how much gets created. 

I think if anything we would miss him a lot for his hold up play. That has been superb. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst I think Tammy has been great for us I don’t buy this if he leaves our playoff chances are over.  His job is to score goals if he gets the service and he has been getting that. 

It’s not like he has been scoring wonder goals every game. He has fantastic movement and he is getting picked out. Yes he has been clinical but I reckon any decent striker would be scoring a shed load of goals in this team.  Think of all the guilt edge chances he has also missed.  Shows how much gets created. 

I think if anything we would miss him a lot for his hold up play. That has been superb. 

Completely disagree.

He is getting into positions our other strikers wouldn’t find themselves in and although we create a lot, I doubt any of our other strikers would score the amount he does. 

I also think his hold up play is the worst attribute of his game. He will need to improve on that if he wants to be a successful premier league striker.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Completely disagree.

He is getting into positions our other strikers wouldn’t find themselves in and although we create a lot, I doubt any of our other strikers would score the amount he does. 

I also think his hold up play is the worst attribute of his game. He will need to improve on that if he wants to be a successful premier league striker.

After a couple of years of Hogan and Kodija his hold up play has been a breath of fresh air. 

I think a replacement such as Maupay would deliver. We would miss his presence in the air tho both attacking and defending. 

1 minute ago, 7392craig said:

Sky sports reporting he’s not for sale now. So either way it seems it was bollox.

JT had a word!

On a serious note as someone mentioned earlier it would be odd for Smith to say he thinks he is staying for a bid to be accepted a day later.

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

After a couple of years of Hogan and Kodija his hold up play has been a breath of fresh air. 

I think a replacement such as Maupay would deliver. We would miss his presence in the air tho both attacking and defending. 

Agree with the last statement, yeh. I just worry that without Grealish we can’t play through the middle and a striker like Maupay would struggle with balls into the box. 

FWIW, I think Abraham will stay and even if he goes we have a decent replacement in a Kodjia (albeit not as good). 

Our primary concern in Jan has to be 4 new defenders. 

• Like 1

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

JT had a word!

On a serious note as someone mentioned earlier it would be odd for Smith to say he thinks he is staying for a bid to be accepted a day later.

Very true. To be honest, I didn’t have too much fear in him leaving in the first place. ‘Journalism’ is an extraordinarily loose term these days. I try not to let things bother me until I see an official statement from somewhere.

• Like 1

The person I heard the news from hasn't been mentioned and is connected at Wolves. So whilst it looks like it may not be happening, I don't think this was all just totally made up. There's something in it.

There’s been some mention of a deadline that Chelsea have regarding recalling him back, a deadline which occurs before the transfer window slams shut. Something like 14 days before?

Have I read that right? If so, would that have any bearing on selling him?

3 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

There’s been some mention of a deadline that Chelsea have regarding recalling him back, a deadline which occurs before the transfer window slams shut. Something like 14 days before?

Have I read that right? If so, would that have any bearing on selling him?

Yes. A loan deal is still a contract and you cannot break it. In order to sell him you have to recall him and if the contract said the recall option expired, thats it.

1 minute ago, Mazrim said:

Yes. A loan deal is still a contract and you cannot break it. In order to sell him you have to recall him and if the contract said the recall option expired, thats it.

So there is a deadline, sometime in mid January, that Chelsea have to recall him? 

Basically, I’m just wondering how long we have to keep the phone off the hook and the curtains drawn at Villa Park before it’s safe.

I don't know any of the specific details of his loan contract. I just know it's very unlikely he will be leaving Villa this month. And any notions of Wolves getting him for 18m are laughable.

Â