Jump to content
Villaphan04

Tammy Abraham

Recommended Posts

On 11/04/2019 at 21:52, Delphinho123 said:

I don’t think he should be dropped but he was awful against Rotherham.

He seems to have 1 bad game in 3/4 matches and when he’s bad, he’s really bad. The ball bounces off him, he gives it away and moves tend to fall down when it gets to him. 

I like him, I think he is a real asset at this level and his workrate is admirable. If we go up however, I wouldn’t spend 25/30m on him, or at least it would be a gamble if we did. I just don’t think he is a premier league striker yet and if he is, it would be for a team low down in the table. He certainly isn’t going to be playing for Chelsea anytime soon.

He starts for us all day long though, one decent performance from Kodjia isn’t enough to convince me he should start ahead of Abraham. He should start with him if anything.

 

I think If we go up I would rather spend that 25 to 30 mill on a couple of strikers from the championship like Maupay and Grabban, I would like to bring those two in for what Tammy would cost.

Tammy is very good at this level but at that price would be one hell of a gamble to take to the premier. I think however he see us as his way of making his mark, he gets us up, we buy him and he's the main man at the club in terms of firepower. I honestly think he can do it though and rise to the challenge of being the main guy at a premier club, but again do we splash that cash on one or bring a few in with choices at our hands. The way I see it if we make the gamble on one player and it doesn't turn out a paid of gamble, we will surely be in trouble in our first season back in the top flight. If we bring a few decent strikers in From this league and we could hit the jackpot with one or hopefully all of them.

Or just splash the cash big on players who will bring the A+ game straight away. I imagine that the Owners will bring a blank cheque book out, right????

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kieranavfc said:

To be honest it's easy to forget how young he is... at the age of 21, Ian Wright and Jamie Vardy were playing non league and Didier Drogba in the French second tier...

As far as I can see no other player 21 years old or younger has even scored double figures in the championship this season (Tammy has 24), and in the premier league the top scorers of age 21 or younger are Richarlison (12) and Rashford (10)...

He'll turn out to be a great striker and we'd be lucky to sign him if we go up imo

That's a very good point and important to note - he's got an almost one in two strike rate, clocking up 58 goals in 126 appearances. He's played 3.5 times more games than Tuanzebe (who's the same age) and incredibly, has more first team experience than Tyrone Mings, who is twenty SIX (98 first team appearances). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It took some minerals to step up and take that penalty on Saturday after missing against Rotherham, considering the way the game was balanced. Fair play to him. 

Thats one of his best attributes, his mental strength, as he just keeps getting into positions to score. It’s a shame he missed the pen against Rotherham as he’d likely be in 26 goals if he’d scored that, and stepped up for the next one too. 

As for buying him in the summer, I would. There’s never a guarantee that a striker will get goals. At least with Tammy you know there’s a good chance even in the Prem and he already knows, and loves the club. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Hornso said:

Needs one more goal for 25 league goals this season. 

Nah we should probably drop him instead... :trollface:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Showed great character and great personality. Drop him, rest him, the most important period of our season.
This place man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think If we go up I would rather spend that 25 to 30 mill on a couple of strikers from the championship like Maupay and Grabban, I would like to bring those two in for what Tammy would cost.

Tammy is very good at this level but at that price would be one hell of a gamble to take to the premier. I think however he see us as his way of making his mark, he gets us up, we buy him and he's the main man at the club in terms of firepower. I honestly think he can do it though and rise to the challenge of being the main guy at a premier club, but again do we splash that cash on one or bring a few in with choices at our hands. The way I see it if we make the gamble on one player and it doesn't turn out a paid of gamble, we will surely be in trouble in our first season back in the top flight. If we bring a few decent strikers in From this league and we could hit the jackpot with one or hopefully all of them.

Or just splash the cash big on players who will bring the A+ game straight away. I imagine that the Owners will bring a blank cheque book out, right????

Maupay and Grabban? Maupay has no Premier League experience and Grabban isn't good enough for the Premier League. We've tried the route of buying experienced, proven strikers and we ended up with McCormack and Hogan (Kodjia to a lesser extent).

Abraham has been absolutely fantastic this season for us, if there's any chance at all we can sign him then we should be doing so. Granted he misses a few chances, but he's scored 24 goals breaking records on the way. He's 21 years old, he's only going to improve from what he currently is. We would be signing an English striker with 52 senior goals to his name at the age of 21. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

I think If we go up I would rather spend that 25 to 30 mill on a couple of strikers from the championship like Maupay and Grabban, I would like to bring those two in for what Tammy would cost.

Just reflecting on this.

If we are promoted to the premier league we should spend £25/30m on a couple of Championship strikers?

Hmmm.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

regardless of sitters missed , 24 goals is impressive and I liked the way he worked for the team , last few weeks that seems to have dipped a little , maybe its just a subtle change in the way we are playing resulting him not seeing the ball as much

however , the word in Jan was that Wolves were prepared to pay him £120k a week   ..... add in the huge fee Chelsea are likely to want for him  and  i'd say we would and should be looking elsewhere next season

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

his work rate, the lad never quits. 

This. By far the most noticeable difference between him and every striker Villa has had in years. I don't think I have seen another striker run as continuously to harry defenders and then bust it to get into scoring positions. It's not close. Can anyone name a Villa striker who has done this on this side of the millennium? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No point dwelling too much on buying him unless we get promoted. We can cross that bridge then. For now he's a young developing striker who's scored plenty for us, and yes could have scored even more. Instead of reflecting on chances missed, surely consider the prospect of development with more coaching and experience.  He's done a great job for us, and personally, although the season is near its end I'd only consider resting him if we have secured 5th spot and can't go higher or lower. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

if we got promoted to the Prem, i wouldnt waste 25m - 40m on Abraham.

You can pick up foreign players just as good if not better "if" you are a prem team, imo.

to be fair with some competent scouting and recruiting if we are still in the championship next season, we could probably pick up a striker who could score 20+ next season (granted not necessarily 20/21 yrs old) for less than 10m.

Yes he has scored 20+ goals, but with the attacking style we have now, i do wonder if a fair few other players could have got similar or maybe even more, he gets a LOT of chances put in front of him by our style of play, and boy does he miss a fair few of em.

 

Dont go all nuts tho pls, im not saying Abraham isnt decent, but hes not worth 25m+, especially if you can pick up good foreign players (or less known players), for a snip of that price.

We need to learn from past mistakes, crapping tens of millions on players doesnt automatically mean they are "worth it", but its something we have always done well until recent common sense has started to prevail.

 

Examples of good scouting/purchases where you arent crapping money all over the place:

McGinn (Villa) - 2.5m from Hibs

Pukki - (Norwich) - 2m from Brondby

Neal Maupay (Brentford) - 1.8m from St Etienne

Che Adams (SHA) - 2m from Sheff utd

Kemar Roofe (Leeds) - 3.2m from Oxford

Bradley Dack (Blackburn) - 900k from Gillimgham

Pablo Hernandez (Leeds) - Free i think?

Eliliano Buendia (Norwich) - 2.3m from Getafe

Onel Hernandez (Norwich) - 2.3m from E.Braunscweig

.....the list could go on.

Thats.....roughly £18m pounds for all those players.......lets see what Villa got for the same or more.

 

Villa Transfers.....

McCormack - 12M

Hogan - 9m

Tshibola - 5m

Bree - 3m

Thats £29m quid just on those 4 players...........TWNETY NINE MILLION!

 

Criminal.

 

 

 

 

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In todays money Abraham absolutely is worth £25M.

He'll probably end up on what? 27/28 goals at least (all being well).......

He's young, he works his bollocks off and he seems to love it here.

When I think of all the money we have wasted in the past.......this would not fall into that category IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tammy has been class for us this season, but to put his prospects as a Premier League striker in perspective:

  • Bristol City loan 2016/17 23 league goals in 41 appearances = 1 goal every 1.8 matches
  • Swansea City loan 2017/18 - 5 league goals in 31 appearances = 1 goal every 6.2 matches
  • Aston Villa loan 2018/19 - 24 league goals in 36 appearances = 1 goal every 1.5 matches

Of course he is getting better, but his return at Villa isn't a dramatic improvement on his return at Bristol. I'd say he'd bring in about 5-10 goals in the PL next season if he stays fit.

Dwight Gayle's record is a good example - 23 goals in 32 in the Championship when Newcastle walked the division, and then 6 in 35 the following season.

If we go up (big if), we need to reset our expectations ruthlessly, so we don't end up as another Fulham. Some players carry their form up the divisions, and some just don't for whatever reason. It can be a lonely life feeding on scraps at a counter-attacking, relegation-threatened club. Fine for someone like Jamie Vardy or Ian Wright. Not as much fun for a striker who likes to get involved in every phase of the game.

Not a criticism of Tammy, just a dose of realism. He's done well, and I would like to see him stay, but only for a sensible price.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Solanke went for about 19million and he is older than Tammy and has a whooping 8 career league goals. 

25 million for Tammy would be a steal at moment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Maupay and Grabban? Maupay has no Premier League experience and Grabban isn't good enough for the Premier League. We've tried the route of buying experienced, proven strikers and we ended up with McCormack and Hogan (Kodjia to a lesser extent).

Abraham has been absolutely fantastic this season for us, if there's any chance at all we can sign him then we should be doing so. Granted he misses a few chances, but he's scored 24 goals breaking records on the way. He's 21 years old, he's only going to improve from what he currently is. We would be signing an English striker with 52 senior goals to his name at the age of 21. 

 

No they have no premiere experience but Smith has a good record with players who are new to something. Tammy has experience at the premiere stage but that means we have to splash a massive amount of cash on one player. We might as well make the gamble on a few guys who have scored a good amount of goals like Tammy in the championship.

If Tammy fails to deliver in the premier we will be in serious trouble in our first season. I would rather gamble on a few decent striker from the championship and there is more chance of us bagging a winner with one or as I said hopefully all of them. 

I also said instead of the gamble wouldn't it be better we bring a striker in who can score goals, 25 to 30+ mill is a heck of alot of money for one player who is unproven. If it all goes wrong with Tammy we have yet another waste of space signing and while he isnt so far, the change to the premier could prove that it's a failed signing.

I would much rather us try a loan to buy in our first season in the premier, that guarenteed we won't be making a massive mistake if Tammy can't deliver.

Tammy will also need a partner, someone who can easily come in and take over to rest Tammy, I do not think any of our existing strikers can take up that mantle I'm the premier. We would need to yet again splash out on another striker and that is another reason I would bring in a few strikers for what we could get Tammy for, it's a selection of choice we would have and not be limiting ourselves to just one striker.

Maupay and Grabban could easily make the step up as much as Tammy and cost a fair bit less, lolley could too, could buy all three for the price of Tammy.

That's what we have to think about when making our squad next season, we have to think about getting more bang for the buck.  We can't go splashing crazy amounts anymore because the caps put in place don't allow you to do a man city, we have to be smarter with signings and I don't think Tammy is a smart signing unless it's a loan to buy deal for the premier.

We could easily Loan to buy many championship players and ransack many teams for there stars. There are many stars who can make that jump and would do if the opportunity to join a newly promoted premier side arose. The point im trying to make more than anything is we need to be smarter this time around, Abraham was a smart signing for the championship, but when you look at him as a smart signing for the premier, it's not so much a smart signing anymore, it can become a costly signing.

Edited by Dave-R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

No they have no premiere experience but Smith has a good record with players who are new to something. Tammy has experience at the premiere stage but that means we have to splash a massive amount of cash on one player. We might as well make the gamble on a few guys who have scored a good amount of goals like Tammy in the championship.

If Tammy fails to deliver in the premier we will be in serious trouble in our first season. I would rather gamble on a few decent striker from the championship and there is more chance of us bagging a winner with one or as I said hopefully all of them. 

I also said instead of the gamble wouldn't it be better we bring a striker in who can score goals, 25 to 30+ mill is a heck of alot of money for one player who is unproven. If it all goes wrong with Tammy we have yet another waste of space signing and while he isnt so far, the change to the premier could prove that it's a failed signing.

I would much rather us try a loan to buy in our first season in the premier, that guarenteed we won't be making a massive mistake if Tammy can't deliver.

Tammy will also need a partner, someone who can easily come in and take over to rest Tammy, I do not think any of our existing strikers can take up that mantle I'm the premier. We would need to yet again splash out on another striker and that is another reason I would bring in a few strikers for what we could get Tammy for, it's a selection of choice we would have and not be limiting ourselves to just one striker.

Maupay and Grabban could easily make the step up as much as Tammy and cost a fair bit less, lolley could too, could buy all three for the price of Tammy.

That's what we have to think about when making our squad next season, we have to think about getting more bang for the buck.  We can't go splashing crazy amounts anymore because the caps put in place don't allow you to do a man city, we have to be smarter with signings and I don't think Tammy is a smart signing unless it's a loan to buy deal for the premier.

We could easily Loan to buy many championship players and ransack many teams for there stars. There are many stars who can make that jump and would do if the opportunity to join a newly promoted premier side arose. The point im trying to make more than anything is we need to be smarter this time around, Abraham was a smart signing for the championship, but when you look at him as a smart signing for the premier, it's not so much a smart signing anymore, it can become a costly signing.

No need for the extra e, unless you're going to Creamfields.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


×
×
  • Create New...
Â