Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

On 27/03/2019 at 13:44, Demitri_C said:

I am very suprised Tammy isn't nominated for efl player ofthe year either is any villa player in team of the year. 

Loan players cannot be nominated for team of year or player of the year awards, learned that last year.

• Thanks 2

He misses chances he should score. Too often. But the sign of a good striker is that he keeps getting into positions to get chances. The sharpness in front of goal will develop. He's still only a kid.

He'll do for me. We have players who can score from anywhere. All good teams need a poacher to get into position and finish the simple chances. He's that player. Not perfect, by any means. But a perfect fit for us at the moment. 

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

Totally agree. He brings so much to our forward play, he must be a nightmare to defend against. Tricky, presses, can hold the ball up and lay it off. Good feet, can turn and dribble. 

If only he was more lethal he wouldn't be here. 

Indeed. That's the reason why Chelsea are happy to loan him out 3 years in a row. Talented but very raw. 

12 hours ago, Junxs said:

Loan players cannot be nominated for team of year or player of the year awards, learned that last year.

What a daft rule. 

It's a player award not a club award. To play a whole season in the championship but not be elegible for the championship award is just plain odd. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The_Rev said:

"other" 🍆

Screenshot_20190331-112718_Twitter.jpg

I'm still amazed he ran off and celebrated that "other" goal, I'd've been in a heap screaming. 

• Haha 1

I think with Tammy he could miss 10 chances in a game but unlike other strikers he will come back for more and thats why he has so many goals. Some strikers crumble after a couple of misses

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

Sorry, but this whole "Tammy misses too many shots" malarkey is not true and is extremely unfair to the lad.  I decided to run the numbers...

Here are the top 10 Championship goalscorers and their stats:

image.thumb.png.8c3234cdffa0d166b58fb9ddfc98677f.png

Here are the top 10 sorted by their "shots/goal".  The median value is 4.56 shots/goal and Tammy is just above that number.  Apart from Sharpe & Maupay, who are significant outliers to the rest of the pack, Tammy is right in line with the rest of the top forwards in the League.  

image.thumb.png.e598ddfcb06eba4f1bf6f7ee0132eb0f.png

For fun, I decided to compare these numbers against the top 10 Premier League Goalscorers:

image.thumb.png.559d6c83aca816ee1926cb10bdb0a007.png

The median Premier League Shots/Goal for the top strikers is 5.22.  Obviously, the two aren't the same, but to say that Tammy squanders too many chances is not true at all. He's right in line with the other top players in this league.  If he was to make the step up to the Premier League, the quality of play will be much better, but the top players take almost a full missed shot more than their Championship counterparts to convert one goal.

Interesting, I remember running the same numbers earlier in the season when the same argument came up. The results were almost identical to those you have now pulled up.

People seem to have huge expectations for Tammy everytime he has a goalscoring opportunity. The fact is Davis and Hogan may be able to get into the right positions, but they would be far less clinical. Kodjia is just as good a finished but is too selfish and wouldn't be on the end of half of the stuff Abraham is.

At this level Tammy is as good as we will get, and at 21 year old he is only going to improve.

• Like 2

So according the link I'll post below, were actually exploring ways to keep Tammy Abraham. When you think about it, go up or stay in this league it would be in our best interest to keep him.

I think the sale of kodjia could bring in a few quid, who knows maybe sheffield United might decide to buy scott hogan, we certainly should do all we can to keep Tammy and Mings. If we hadn't of got Kalanic that would of been 7 million to put towards a possible buy if we stay put in the championship.

I think If we get back to the premier, then we can most definitely buy the lad, but then that would be a risk as he's still unproven and we would want at least two new strikers who are proven.

What do you think Chelsea would take for Tammy, think at this rate around 30 million?? We could just as cheaply bring two decent strikers from the championship up to the premier like Maupay and Grabban.

https://readastonvilla.com/2019/04/04/villa-exploring-ways-to-keep-abraham/

Edited by Dave-R

On 01/04/2019 at 06:47, KMitch said:

Sorry, but this whole "Tammy misses too many shots" malarkey is not true and is extremely unfair to the lad.  I decided to run the numbers...

Here are the top 10 Championship goalscorers and their stats:

image.thumb.png.8c3234cdffa0d166b58fb9ddfc98677f.png

Here are the top 10 sorted by their "shots/goal".  The median value is 4.56 shots/goal and Tammy is just above that number.  Apart from Sharpe & Maupay, who are significant outliers to the rest of the pack, Tammy is right in line with the rest of the top forwards in the League.  

image.thumb.png.e598ddfcb06eba4f1bf6f7ee0132eb0f.png

For fun, I decided to compare these numbers against the top 10 Premier League Goalscorers:

image.thumb.png.559d6c83aca816ee1926cb10bdb0a007.png

The median Premier League Shots/Goal for the top strikers is 5.22.  Obviously, the two aren't the same, but to say that Tammy squanders too many chances is not true at all. He's right in line with the other top players in this league.  If he was to make the step up to the Premier League, the quality of play will be much better, but the top players take almost a full missed shot more than their Championship counterparts to convert one goal.

This doesn't really refute the argument, there's been a drop off in his form and I'd wager his shots per goals has increased over the past 2-3 months, he 'appears' to be far less clinical as he was earlier on in the season so would be more useful to compare this figure at different parts of the season. Also it really holds no baring on potential performance at the Premier League level, too many unobservables at play such as confidence, consistency and ability (for that level), many good forwards at Championship level fail at Premier League level and his time at Swansea was hardly great...

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

I think he could have easily scored 40 goals with the amount of chances he's had.

Unfortunately he seem to switch off when we lead and getting too complacent. Pep Guardiola is a master in changing that complacency into a winning mentality. I've seen him shouting and being absolutely furious at his players in a  game they were 3-0 up because he spotted complacency.

Edited by villalad21

Would love to buy him, but if we dont go up thats very unlikely imho.

His work rate is under appreciated I think. He doesnt mind doing the hard work on getting the ball back.

Love him though, we have had some very good loan signings the past few years, many of who "got" Villa very quickly. I put Tammy in that category, along with Mings this season. I still miss Snodgrass.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Would love to buy him, but if we dont go up thats very unlikely imho.

His work rate is under appreciated I think. He doesnt mind doing the hard work on getting the ball back.

Love him though, we have had some very good loan signings the past few years, many of who "got" Villa very quickly. I put Tammy in that category, along with Mings this season. I still miss Snodgrass.

spot on.

Â