Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

Best situation for Villa, he's picked up a slight knock ruling him out of international duty and is now on holiday resting up for a week. From his Instagram he looks as though he will be fine for Saturday.

He looked like a player who was slightly burning out, a bit like McGinn a few weeks ago. Hopefully he comes back fresh and ready to fire us into the playoffs.

• Like 4

As much as I would love to see us sign him permanently in the Summer, I don't think that would be quite a wise move.

I think it was @wilko154 that said we have to stop spending on overpriced players with big wages. If the transfer fee was reduced (highly unlikely) then I might be more open to it but spending 20/25 mil on Tammy just doesn't seem like the best value for money we could get.

With all that being said — IF we could get him "cheaply" then I would be all for it. (or even another loan wouldn't be as bad). 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

As much as I would love to see us sign him permanently in the Summer, I don't think that would be quite a wise move.

I think it was @wilko154 that said we have to stop spending on overpriced players with big wages. If the transfer fee was reduced (highly unlikely) then I might be more open to it but spending 20/25 mil on Tammy just doesn't seem like the best value for money we could get.

With all that being said — IF we could get him "cheaply" then I would be all for it. (or even another loan wouldn't be as bad). 

It’s all moot if we don’t g9 up but if we do I’d have him.

I fully agree with you about us needing to stop it with the big buys, as a rule, but in his case and the other loans we have now they’d have been a good, known, part of a promotion squad....no reason to think we’d get much better as a newly promoted team either.

I can understand saying “ no thanks” if one is unconvinced he will cut it ( I think he will), but wouldn’t be concerned about the fee and wages If was happy with having him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Villaphan04 said:

Yep we need to stop spending on overpriced players on big wages whilst in the Championship, find our own young players in the lower leagues that we can improve and build a team with.

However if we make it back to the Premier League then 3 or 4 big signings would be needed. Could Abraham do it for us in the PL though? The one plus for him is he's young and improving, if we can pick him up for 20/25 million then he could be worth double that in a few years, especially if he breaks into the England setup.

Unfortunately I think he would rather try his luck at Chelsea regardless of which league we are in.

• Like 1

He's an extraordinarily poor finisher, really. His goal tally shows how much we really create. 

I like him, and he generally works hard and has a lot of strengths to his game. Shooting isn't one of them though. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

He's an extraordinarily poor finisher, really. His goal tally shows how much we really create. 

I like him, and he generally works hard and has a lot of strengths to his game. Shooting isn't one of them though. 

I’d say he’s one of those finishers that is better on instinct than when he knows he’s in. Gabby (in his hey day) used to be the same. If he had a moment to think he’d invariably miss. Seems to be similar with Tammy. However to try and argue all his goals have been laid on a plate for him like today would be false. He’s had some wonderful first time finishes many times earlier in the season and that’s when he’s at his best. He can improve on those chances when he has a second to think about it no doubt. He owes his teammates for seeing that out because that miss could have cost us today just like it did at the Boggies. 

• Like 3

As he’s up to 22 goals just a quick, possibly questionable, look at the next goal scoring milestones he could (hopefully) reach.

Might require one of the older posters to confirm but it seems the last time a player hit 25 goals in the league for us was Andy Gray in 1976/77. Previously it appears Tony Hateley (father of Mark) scored 27 league goals for us in 1965/66.

Both of those are achievable.

Being a bit more fanciful and again with the caveat that I’m not 100% on these stats, it appears that Gerry Hitchens hit 29 goals in 1960/61.

The last player to hit 30+ league goals for us was George Brown in 1932/33 with 33 league goals.

Would love him to reach 30 goals for the season, but think he’ll fall short.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Totally agree. He brings so much to our forward play, he must be a nightmare to defend against. Tricky, presses, can hold the ball up and lay it off. Good feet, can turn and dribble. 

If only he was more lethal he wouldn't be here. 

I don't get it with this guy.

He seem to be banging them in if we're a goal down or if it's a draw. But whenever we are in the lead his finishing turn to s***.

Got to be complacency, and with a mentality like that you're never going to cut it for a top 6 prem side, not a chance.

Edited by villalad21

1 hour ago, Shropshire Lad said:

As he’s up to 22 goals just a quick, possibly questionable, look at the next goal scoring milestones he could (hopefully) reach.

Might require one of the older posters to confirm but it seems the last time a player hit 25 goals in the league for us was Andy Gray in 1976/77. Previously it appears Tony Hateley (father of Mark) scored 27 league goals for us in 1965/66.

Both of those are achievable.

Being a bit more fanciful and again with the caveat that I’m not 100% on these stats, it appears that Gerry Hitchens hit 29 goals in 1960/61.

The last player to hit 30+ league goals for us was George Brown in 1932/33 with 33 league goals.

Would love him to reach 30 goals for the season, but think he’ll fall short.

Does any of this actually matter when we're at the level we are at? I don't think so...

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Does any of this actually matter when we're at the level we are at? I don't think so...

I don’t believe I said it did matter, did I?

I suspect it is probably as relevant as Tammy matching Peter Withe’s 20 goal haul and yet people were going on about that at the time too.

Can honestly see why he doesn't cut it in the Premier League.

Work rate, hold up play and team work are exceptional.

Finishing is outstandingly poor far too often.

Can work in a team with a goal threat from everywhere on the pitch.

However, when the margins are FINE (such as in the Premier LEague) he could cost crucial points.

Maybe they are things which can be worked on but who knows?

• Like 2

Â