Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Maupay and Grabban could easily make the step up as much as Tammy and cost a fair bit less, lolley could too, could buy all three for the price of Tammy.

I would argue that Maupay is as unproven as Tammy in the Premier League (even more so as Tammy has at least had one season). Grabban has been there and failed.

Tammy is a young English player, he would cost more but if you get him firing his value will skyrocket. 

It's not even a question for me.

4 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I would argue that Maupay is as unproven as Tammy in the Premier League (even more so as Tammy has at least had one season). Grabban has been there and failed.

Tammy is a young English player, he would cost more but if you get him firing his value will skyrocket. 

It's not even a question for me.

Missing the point entirely, I was using those particular players as an example.

We need to be smarter, not buying such a gamble for that much and that if we were to gamble, it would be much better to buy a few rather than one. That being said there is no guarentee Tammy will fire anymore than three players from the same league he's been scoring all these goals in.

What happens if Tammy were to get injured and out for the season, we would then need to splash out big again to find another replacement. We could just go the sensible route of bringing in a few options who could possibly make it in the premier.

Its just I would rather gamble the money on more opportunitys than put all our eggs into one basket, that's what we're doing with Tammy.

I'm not so sure we are going to necessarily have the final say on whether we buy Tammy. Surely Chelsea's motivation for sending him out on loan is to see how he fares, to upskill him and give him experience,  without having to risk him in their own games.

The result of this tactic has been an overwhelming success. Tammy has scored for fun, gained experience in a promotion chasing team and has been trained by a fantastic coaching team in state of the art facilities.

He is English and theirs, they have invested in him as an asset up to this point and I see no reason why they wont want him to be a Chelsea player next year

Abraham has now gone joint 2nd all-time for Villa in average goals per season.  He has only had the one season, but then Harold Halse in 1st place also got his goals over one season.

P PLAYER (Scoring seasons) Gls Per Season
1 Halse, Harold James (1912/13) 28
2 Abraham, Tammy (2018-) 24
2 Hitchens, Gerry (1957/61) 24
4 Brown, George 'Bomber' (1929/33) 22.25
5 Hampton, Harry 'Wellington Whirlwind' (1904/15) 22
6 Hateley, Tony (1963/67) 21.5
6 Campbell, Johnny (1895/97) 21.5
8 Waring, Tom 'Pongo' (1927/36) 18.56
9 Wheldon, Fred 'Diamond' (1896/00) 18.5
10 Withe, Peter (1980/85) 18.4

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BOF said:

Abraham has now gone joint 2nd all-time for Villa in average goals per season.  He has only had the one season, but then Harold Halse in 1st place also got his goals over one season.

Nice to see a player from this millennium on the list... just needs a quirky nickname now!

• Like 1

Tammy will get goals, that's for certain. He'll mature as he gets older too, he'll become more confident no doubt his composure will improve. As he goes on he'll convert more and more of the chances, I'm sure of it.

17 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Lewis Grabban is 31, and has hardly managed to get a game in the 3 seasons he spent in the PL.  24 PL appearances, 1 goal. He's not managed more than 20 appearances a season in 5 years.

I can't even believe I'm reading someone suggest we spend a good wad of cash on him. I'd be traumatised if we go up and sign him

And instead of Abraham too, really can't fathom some opinions but then I guess that's the beauty of them.

17 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Lewis Grabban is 31, and has hardly managed to get a game in the 3 seasons he spent in the PL.  24 PL appearances, 1 goal. He's not managed more than 20 appearances a season in 5 years.

I can't even believe I'm reading someone suggest we spend a good wad of cash on him. I'd be traumatised if we go up and sign him

Just skipped straight to the last page so missed the context of the Grabban suggestion but completely agree. While Grabban played really well in some of his games for us. If you're after someone who can score 15+ in the premier league, he's not going to do it and that's without considering his injury record.

There is that question mark over Tammy, can he do it in the Premier league and how much is he going to cost. A goal scorer in the premier league is probably harder than anything to buy. Those that are as guaranteed as you can get, will be out of our reach, so there is going to be a gamble (should we even get there) it's just how much you are going to risk on that gamble. 

He'll want to come back if we go up. I'm convinced of it.

He won't be assured of a starting place at Chelsea and we make so many bleeding chances. Striker's dream!

If we don't, he won't want to go to a lower PL club and have another Swansea season I wouldn't think. He'd rather bang 25 in Champ than <10 and relegated from the Prem I think.

If someone like Watford were to come in for him though, we'd have some trouble.

3 hours ago, BOF said:

What a silly statistic. I would say n=3 here, and exclude those without 3 seasons under their belt. 

18 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Missing the point entirely, I was using those particular players as an example.

We need to be smarter, not buying such a gamble for that much and that if we were to gamble, it would be much better to buy a few rather than one. That being said there is no guarentee Tammy will fire anymore than three players from the same league he's been scoring all these goals in.

What happens if Tammy were to get injured and out for the season, we would then need to splash out big again to find another replacement. We could just go the sensible route of bringing in a few options who could possibly make it in the premier.

Its just I would rather gamble the money on more opportunitys than put all our eggs into one basket, that's what we're doing with Tammy.

You're making a lot of big assumptions here:

1. That signing Tammy would be an "eggs in one basket" transfer, rather than just a bare minimum needed to have a chance of staying up. If we go up I'm not sure spending £25m on a striker should be seen as a wild gamble anymore. We'll probably need to spend that again on another striker, or at least bring in an expensive loan player (a la Jimenez at Wolves). The market has shifted with the new TV deal.

2. That there are multiple decent strikers (3+) with genuine PL potential available for the price of one Tammy. I'm not sure any amount of ingenious moneyball is going to find three plausible strike options for £8m a pop. That barely buys you a PL right back these days.

3. That you get enough time in the PL to experiment with all your different signings. Each striker experiment is going to take you several matches. By that time you might be mired in a relegation battle, and have lost several of your "must win" fixtures.

4. That we're going up.

5. That if we go up the plan is to buy Tammy.

6. That Tammy would join us if we went up.

So this is a slightly pointless debate at this stage. I generally agree with the idea that we shouldn't be too emotional about signing players who've done well for us this year, as it's a big step up. But by the same token, I don't think we should write off Tammy as a PL option, or even worry too much about whether it will happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

I generally agree with the idea that we shouldn't be too emotional about signing players who've done well for us this year, as it's a big step up. 

This hasn't even entered my thinking. For me it is more about continuity, bringing back players who we think should be Premier League quality, remembering that there are no guarantees, whilst maintaining both the momentum and the system that got us there in the first place. If we ever get there. 

I'd have done the same last season, arguing for signing Snodgrass, Terry and even Grabban whilst conceding that there *might* be better options on the continent or even elsewhere in the Premier League. And that was under a manager to whom the word 'system' was alien. 

Those teams who appear to be the most stable upon arrival are, unsurprisingly, those who promote stability. Signing a whole new team never seems to work, even if we might get carried away with the excitement of it all. Consumerism 🙄

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 2

I’d like us to sign him if we go up. He is still very young and will keep improving. He seems to really enjoy playing for the club and has a great attitude too. 

I think 20M or so would be reasonable value. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d like us to sign him if we go up. He is still very young and will keep improving. He seems to really enjoy playing for the club and has a great attitude too. 

I think 20M or so would be reasonable value. 

20m would be fair.  He needs to get going again, has went off the boil in recent times compared to his earlier form.

23 hours ago, BOF said:

The one that sticks out for me is Peter Withe, didnt realise he had such a good return in what were really his twilight years of his Career.

Though before my time, Tony Hateley would have scored all those goals in Shitty Villa Teams leading up to where we went down in 69/70 to the old Third.

Wow. Some of the comments on here!

The guy is 21 - but the modern marketplace demands £25m-odd for someone like this. If he becomes a big success, we'd be asking £100m+ in a couple of years.
And I reckon Maupay would cost us £15m+ if we went up, that's the stupid money in the Premier League.

He does things that you can't coach - movement, size, strength, work rate. Yes, he needs to improve his conversion rate, but experience, confidence and coaching can do that.

Shit - our coaches taught Gabby to score goals!

Edited by Pez1974

Â