Tammy Abraham

Villaphan04

Wonder if Kodijas new found form (hopefully not just a tiny purple patch) will change our focus towards a CB and LB rather than striker?

Edited by sne

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Wonder if Kodijas new found form (hopefully not just a tiny purple patch) will change our focus towards a CB and LB rather than striker?

Was thinking if Abraham’s comes in where’s does that leave Kodjia, on the bench?

1 minute ago, Tommo_b said:

Was thinking if Abraham’s comes in where’s does that leave Kodjia, on the bench?

I'd imagine so, unless we go 3-5-2.

But that would leave someone else out.

Morieira

Tuanzebe - Jedi - Chester

El Ghazi - McGinn - Whelan - Grealish - Bolasie

Abraham - Kodija

Swap or change players around  after preference but who knows, this might work?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, sne said:

And what if Kodjia goes a few games without scoring and loses confidence again, or gets injured first game in September? 

If we don't get a striker in by the end of next week, we won't get one until January regardless of what happens in the meantime. 

Kodjia and Hogan aren't enough cover for me. Green and Hepburn-Murphy are development players, not starters. We're light up top. And granted, at the back too, but if the way we played against Brentford is the way we'll be set up this season, a striker is more important than a defensive player. 

1 minute ago, Godders said:

And what if Kodjia goes a few games without scoring and loses confidence again, or gets injured first game in September? 

If we don't get a striker in by the end of next week, we won't get one until January regardless of what happens in the meantime. 

Kodjia and Hogan aren't enough cover for me. Green and Hepburn-Murphy are development players, not starters. We're light up top. And granted, at the back too, but if the way we played against Brentford is the way we'll be set up this season, a striker is more important than a defensive player. 

Sure I agree.

Bit for me the situation at CB and LB is even more pressing.

36 minutes ago, sne said:

We can’t rely on Kodjia for all our goals. Wednesday showed we have a big problem with converting dominance into goals so reinforcements are definitely needed. Even our injured strikers (Higan, Davis) have doubtful records on scoring.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

We can’t rely on Kodjia for all our goals. Wednesday showed we have a big problem with converting dominance into goals so reinforcements are definitely needed. Even our injured strikers (Higan, Davis) have doubtful records on scoring.

Agreed

It's just that our squad is already huge and expensive.

We have limited number of loans we can use.

IMO the we can't rely on our current defense to keep the goals out at our end.

Chester out and we might as well queue the clown music.

• Like 1

I think Kodja will go on a scoring run from now but could easily bs injured again the amount of times he gets taken out an clutches hea anckle , hence the reason we need back up as good as him there is no reason why we cant play 2 up front from time to time either

• Like 1

We need more options than just cross 400 times a game and having 2 quality strikers would help us with that. Admittedly Abraham's size would imply that we would look to use him to get on the end of crosses but he's more than just a target man. Would be great having Kodjia and Abraham in the same team.

46 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

It will mean Abraham is first choice at least. But that dpesn't mean Kodjia won't play. Obviously we can't rely on Abraham for 90 minutes in the next 42 games. This is not the early 80's where you can win a title by using 13-14 players. 

I think a Kodjia Abraham partnership would be magnificent.

Abraham is a real poacher. Kodjia loves to try and do it all himself. They compliment each other.

Ideal scenario: Kodjia picks up out wide, takes on a man, smashes an average shot at the keeper who slightly fumbles / parries, Abraham acts first and poaches a goal by beating the defender to the ball and toeing it in.

Repeat 47 times and win promotion. Nice tactics Brucey!

• Like 1

In an ideal world we'd cancel the Moreira and or Tuanzebe loans (Tuanzebe will stay) and get a Abraham along with a CB and a LB in on loan.

I know we can have more than 5 loans in the squad but it's not fair to them (or financially sound) to just have them hanging around doing laps.

10 minutes ago, sne said:

In an ideal world we'd cancel the Moreira and or Tuanzebe loans (Tuanzebe will stay) and get a Abraham along with a CB and a LB in on loan.

I know we can have more than 5 loans in the squad but it's not fair to them (or financially sound) to just have them hanging around doing laps.

It would be unfair to take Moreira out of the matchday squad as you say, yet how many times does a substitute goalie get used? He'd still be learning his trade here and getting cup games, which he's fine since he's clearly more of a "one for the future" type signing - assuming that we are going to make it permanent. File along side Jed Steer perhaps?

Anyway, I can't see us getting that many more in that it will be a decision to make, but I'd be willing to make that harsh sacrifice on him if it meant bolstering the defence.

with Kodjia seemingly back on form, and 3 other strikers behind (albeit not 20 goal a season strikers), wouldnt make sense to bring in another when we only play 1 up top. Would have been amazing signing either way, but with one space left in the team for a loanee potentially other areas of more importance for improvement. Can always re-evaluate in the jan window. Hopefully Kodjia can stay fit and in form!!!

7 minutes ago, Tony said:

with Kodjia seemingly back on form, and 3 other strikers behind (albeit not 20 goal a season strikers), wouldnt make sense to bring in another when we only play 1 up top. Would have been amazing signing either way, but with one space left in the team for a loanee potentially other areas of more importance for improvement. Can always re-evaluate in the jan window. Hopefully Kodjia can stay fit and in form!!!

I can't get behind the thinking that it's OK to rely on Kodjia alone. Kodjia has only just come back from a bad injury and our having two games a week and putting him through potentially 40 odd games is lunacy.

As for the others, Hogan has proven only that he's not good enough—just compare what Kodjia did on Wednesday to Hogan. Kodjia made things happen and scored two top-class goals all by his own making and skill while Hogan makes things easy for the other team by bouncing the ball to them and being an absolute ghost upfront. Davis I like, but he's injured for who knows how long. His scoring record isn't very good either so he's not someone we should pin the hopes of an entire season and a promotion push on. After that, we have only RHM who doesn't look ready and certainly not ready to lead the line.

A new CF for me is the number one priority otherwise we're taking an insane and stupid gamble.

• Like 1

Â