Swansea Uni any experience ?

hippo

My son has got a place at Swansea uni - anyone any experience there ?

He has reserved a place in the student villa for accommodation

Ant tips on where to find work (he is a qualified lifeguard) ? - or any other general tips about the area ? 

58 minutes ago, hippo said:

Ant tips on where to find work (he is a qualified lifeguard) ? - or any other general tips about the area ? 

Popular beaches in Mumbles and on the Gower both down the road, there maybe lifeguard work available there.

My nephew has just finished at Swansea and just got a 2.1 which considering his academic qualifications when he got his 2nd set of A-level results is a minor miracle, especially as they now want him to expand on his thesis and do a Phd

iirc @chrisp65may actually have a child at Swansea Uni

• Like 2

A Pretty Shitty City

© Twin Town

(Watch Twin Town)

People will mention the good bits - somewhere else that is near to Swansea without actually being Swansea etc (Mumbles/Gower) :D

In fairness the city itself, all joking aside, is much the same as other cities - good bits, murky bits and everything in between.

The Uni itself is a proper red brick uni. Very well respected (esp. Engineering and Medical) and has had an awful lot of investment over the last few years including the new campus bits down by the bay.

Massive sports complex next to the Singleton Campus. They also have this new water activity complex thingy for kite surfing and the like down the Bay - maybe an in house uni lifeguard position somewhere there?

Usually ranks as the best Uni in Wales IIRC and pretty high up in any UK tables.

• Like 1

My friend who used to work at Swansea Uni asks what campus are they going to @hippo?

The Singleton campus is apparently great. Loads of facilities on campus a stones throw from the beach so a place in the student village there it's ace.

If it's the Bay campus - whilst the campus itself is state of the art and all that it's quite isolated and quite far from Swansea itself with not much yet built up around it and apparently some students report feeling a bit 'stuck' on the campus out there.

"Cafe 360" (near the singleton campus) might be a good place to enquire about lifeguard work - that's where people hire surfboards from etc

The international swimming pool is part of the massive sports complex at Singleton also apparently.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hippo said:

I didn't go to Swansea, but when I needed work I just joined the local colony and mucked in with getting leaves for the queen.

The hours were long and the pay was essentially a roof over my head and free access to nectar/engine oil and other invertebrates.

There was a time when our colony was attacked by another colony from Cardiff, but we **** them off.  Took a few thousand casualties, but these things happen I guess. 

Image result for ant head mask

Just in from a long old day. So this is a quick download off the top of my head.

Lots of very positive vibe about Swansea here. I used to hate the place, 'next town along' rivalry probably. My attitude has changed over the last couple of years with a nipper there, to the point I might eventually end up moving down the coast.

Singleton Campus is literally across the road from a huge sandy clean beach. Wine Street for nightlife has been famous for years, but I guess this year it won't have it's usual regulars, The Chuckle Brothers.

Happy to switch to PM's if you want any specifics.

Oh, my nipper picked up a part time job and managed to save £4k in a year, so that makes a massive difference.

One more tip, buy a knackered old bike for commuting. My nipper's £20 green hammerite special has proved really handy and looks too shite to get stolen. 

29 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

One more tip, buy a knackered old bike for commuting. My nipper's £20 green hammerite special has proved really handy and looks too shite to get stolen. 

100% this.

If a push-bike is a goer then Swansea is properly GREAT for cycling. Great network of cycle lanes that are almost entirely separate from the roads.

Don't get anything nice bike-wise - it's still Swansea! But if the lock costs more than the bike you'll be fine :D (Don't bother with anything other than a good D lock basically)

As much of the cycling is done around beaches and sand and sea air it's harsh on the brakes (They will wear through pretty quick) and regular grease/wax on the moving bits - chain especially.

(Gear floss also worth looking into)

36 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

to be fair, Hippo's pretty much got this student lark buttoned down

asked others to do his research then **** off for a few days

lol....still here.

thanks for all the input so far !!!

• Like 1

Â