Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I definitely think he is worth acquiring on a permanent deal, whether we go up or not. Still young (23), has a decent return of goals and assists, skilful, pacey, strong and tall as well so could potentially play more central at times. He is still very inconsistent but I think he will add consistency, this is his first season in England. I have a lot more faith that Smith will develop young players at this club and improve them, unlike when Bruce was in charge (Jack being the exception).

I don't know.

He's very inconsistent he have those 2 excellent games then he goes missing the next 10 games.

I've come to the conclusion that he isn't good enough, or certainly isnt from what I've seen.

He shows flashes and is probably our best winger (not saying a lot), but he goes missing so often and he just doesnt affect the game as much as a winger should. 
He's not a bad player I just echo what previous posters have said in that we could do better.

I agree @lapal_fan, I don't know what people want from him?

Wingers blow hot and cold, but his work rate has dramatically improved and he never stops trying. He has the ability to deliver that devastating cross or get into goal scoring positions. IMO he's a guy we need to try and keep.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Bruce did great things for Jack last season but look at how he was wasting him away at the start of this one.

Furthermore he wouldn't even put El Ghazi in his match day squads at all.

Played him on the wing. 

Agent Bruce 😎

If promoted he would be a squad player for me.  I am not convinced he is currently good enough for PL regularly.  But he is still young and has potential.

I would sign him regardless if the fee is 3 to 4 mill.  But in the PL we need a better winger.

1 hour ago, flashingqwerty said:

If promoted he would be a squad player for me.  I am not convinced he is currently good enough for PL regularly.  But he is still young and has potential.

I would sign him regardless if the fee is 3 to 4 mill.  But in the PL we need a better winger.

Agreed on top of all the other obvious additions (Mings, Tammy, much needed Jack backup), DM, LB I would spend whatever was left! Probably not much on two wingers/wide forwards. Absolutely critical in the modern game and ours are the weakest part of an admittedly strong championship team at the moment. 

....................................................................................

Agreed. But for me only Mings, McGinn, Jack and Tammy would be first-choice at present in a PL team. Tuanzebe maybe. We need obvious strengthening at DM, LB, GK, CB. So if we go up we'll have to be active in bringing in quality players, though it hasn't worked out so well for Fulham. 

2 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd be interested to know what consistency looks like in your eyes.

Play well in the majority of the games he plays. Not play 3 great games and then disappear for the next 10 games.

Where were he when Jack was out injured? I'm not asking for him to make assists or scoring goals in every single game but i expect to at least create something in every games at this level. 

8 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Play well in the majority of the games he plays. Not play 3 great games and then disappear for the next 10 games.

Where were he when Jack was out injured? I'm not asking for him to make assists or scoring goals in every single game but i expect to at least create something in every games at this level. 

An Inconsistent player for me is somebody that is good one game and crap the next. What you have just described is poor form in my opinion. 

He has been very good for the last 6 games.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

I'll take Snodgrass as my example.  A player who was only here for one season, in a strong team. He scored 7 goals and got 14 assists.  That's pretty great for a winger I'd say.  Obviously he worked his socks off too, and I loved the guy.  

vs Anwar, he's got 4 goals and 5 assists, so a bit behind Snodgrass, but I'd argue that this is his first season in the league, we've changed managers in that time, he's in a new country and he's 8 years younger than Snodgrass and experience counts for a lot in football. 

................................................................................................

Important to note that Snodgrass took basically all our free kicks and corners too. El Ghazi has got all his goals and assists from open play as he doesn't take set pieces. And he's actually got 5 goals not 4. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I liked Snodgrass too but he was getting on (30/31), was pretty slow, and was very one-footed. He also played a lot of minutes. El Ghazi couldn't get a game when he first arrived so hasn't played as much, is young, quick and can use both feet. He'll definitely improve. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dante_Lockhart said:

I agree @lapal_fan, I don't know what people want from him?

Wingers blow hot and cold, but his work rate has dramatically improved and he never stops trying. He has the ability to deliver that devastating cross or get into goal scoring positions. IMO he's a guy we need to try and keep.

That's the bit for me - it shows a real desire to be better than he is.

His tracking back and often ball-winning on Saturday was pretty immense.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd be interested to know what consistency looks like in your eyes.

I'll take Snodgrass as my example.  A player who was only here for one season, in a strong team. He scored 7 goals and got 14 assists.  That's pretty great for a winger I'd say.  Obviously he worked his socks off too, and I loved the guy.  

vs Anwar, he's got 4 goals and 5 assists, so a bit behind Snodgrass, but I'd argue that this is his first season in the league, we've changed managers in that time, he's in a new country and he's 8 years younger than Snodgrass and experience counts for a lot in football. 

Snodgrass has gone back to West Ham and there's talk of him being player of the year there, and they are 11th in the PL. 

I say, if we give El Ghazi another year to 18 months in this team, I'd bet he wouldn't be far off those figures, if not surpassing them.  

If we get Anwar for anything like 4 million, I'll be over the moon, considering some of the eye-watering 20 million+ wingers playing in the PL.  

Unusual Lapal - I've just given you two likes. I must be getting old.

Anyhow back on topic 👍🏻

23 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That's the bit for me - it shows a real desire to be better than he is.

His tracking back and often ball-winning on Saturday was pretty immense.

Taylor has also looked better because of this :ph34r:

Â