Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Was poor in the first half but it was an exceptional run for his chance, which he of course should have scored. Much improved in the second half, overall he was decent yesterday. There's a good footballer in there, but he certainly lacks consistency and IMO has poor concentration. There's a lot for us to work with if we do sign him and I wouldn't be against that if the price is right, but he needs to improve his attitude.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, smg said:

Not instantly excellent or consistent therefore not good enough for the Villa. We have lost a number of promising players because of this attitude from the fans

100% this

Does anyone remember Mahrez's first season for Leicester in the Championship? 19 games, 3 goals.

Two seasons later he scored 17 goals and won the Premier League

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bobzy said:

I always think his attitude is really good to be honest. Works hard, tracks back, makes good runs. The issue is concentration and decision making - but they can be worked on.

He’s inconsistent but is growing on me. There’s a player in there. 

I agree. I think his attitude has been very good since coming here. He's low on confidence right now though - could do with a goal or a nice assist. 

I like him, but he's very up and down. But he's got speed, something we lack in the squad. He must be our quickest player. I hope we sign him and that he can develop. He's got talent.

I liked his little feud he had with the full back all through the game. He showed he wasnt going to get pushed around in a derby but I think he is more effective on the right as he doesnt have to cut in as much when running at speed.

Maybe Smith doesnt think his defensive game is safe with Elmo there or he just doesnt want to confuse commentators with an El Ghazi/Elmohammady partnership

He does work hard, I think his general attitude is excellent, not the show pony many (myself) would have assumed at first glance.
A mediocre season for me, mixed with some brilliant individual moments. For me though, when I look at him, he just doesn't have an edge to him.
When things are going his way he just seems happy to drift out of it.

For £8m there is no way I would take a punt on him. £3m maybe.

Edited by rodders0223

55 minutes ago, Pelle said:

I like him, but he's very up and down. But he's got speed, something we lack in the squad. He must be our quickest player. I hope we sign him and that he can develop. He's got talent.

I agree with you - I would be happy to take a punt at the right price.

I think wingers are probably the most inconsistent breed of footballers - so he is in good company here.

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Maybe Smith doesnt think his defensive game is safe with Elmo there or he just doesnt want to confuse commentators with an El Ghazi/Elmohammady partnership

That would result in a El of a mess. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I liked his little feud he had with the full back all through the game. He showed he wasnt going to get pushed around in a derby

I thought this.

In fact he seems to have noticeably toughened up.

He could just be a very good find.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He does work hard, I think his general attitude is excellent, not the show pony many (myself) would have assumed at first glance.
A mediocre season for me, mixed with some brilliant individual moments. For me though, when I look at him, he just doesn't have an edge to him.
When things are going his way he just seems happy to drift out of it.

For £8m there is no way I would take a punt on him. £3m maybe.

Couldn't you just have said that in the first place rather than calling him a 'sap of a footballer'?

On 11/03/2019 at 22:36, thunderball said:

What’s the option price?

Iirc £6 million, I'd take him for that given he's showed a lot of promise and scored a few good goals for us but given our finances I can't see us spending that on any player unless we get promoted

I'd definitely try and get him on another season long loan though 

• Like 1

Just getting better and better.  The pull back for Abraham first half (which Abraham didn't anticipate at all) was superb.  His attitude when he loses the ball is so good, too.  Lost out to Saville at one point, just hunted him down and won it back.

I thought he was great today and fully deserved his goal.

• Like 2

He's not consistently good in possesion, but what he does have is the ability to do something special and open the game up...he was a constant menace today, and his finish was a joy to behold.

Most impressed with his change of on-field attitude, whenever he loses the balls he busts a gut to make a challenge. He's enjoying his time under Dean Smith and progressing finely, sign him up.

I keep saying it, but he reminds me of Lamela when he first signed for Spurs. The good thing is, is that he's not as boneheaded as him and is continuing to improve. Love him. Really hope we sign him permanently because we have a player on our hands.

Â