Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

10 minutes ago, nepal_villan said:

I like El Ghazi, but watching him today I had similar thoughts to that of @MaVilla. The Academy players seem to have caught-up, if not surpassed him technically. His main  attributes now are his experience and penalty taking ability, not much else.

Besides the penalties last few seasons he's scored some of the most ridiculous back post, how did he shape his body to score that, goals plus a few worldies. Also amazing run and cross for Samatta LC final goal and promotion final goal. That said weak in other areas but not a bad squad player

• Like 1

I love el ghazi to bits but I think we are outgrowing him now. And whilst we have rich owners and can spend spend spend there also has to come a point where we have to sell some assets to balance it off a little. Anwar is probably at his most saleable now and I think if we were to get a shiny new winger we could see him getting sold.

Mind you I still have him ahead of trez in the pecking order so he may also be an option to sell - he still has reasonable reputation himself

• Like 1

I rate El Ghazi, I think he's a very decent squad player, and I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him for another season. I do agree with the sentiments though that he's probvably at his most saleable now though, so it's a big summer for him. If we do bring in Bailey (or similar) and Philogene-Bidace shows he's worthy of the step up then it might be time for Anwar to leave.

If he does go he goes with nothing but good wishes, he scored the opener in the playoff final and a shed load of important goals last season. A very good signing for what we paid.

Edited by RichiBoi11
  • Like 3

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I'd like to see Emi taking all set piece plays, let's see what he brings before the season starts, not sure what instructions they'd been given last but I felt AEG pulled rank over Emi. 

43 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

He really is a confidence player: when he's on a streak, he walks differently. When he's hitting duds, his posture is totally different. 

Even when he's confident - he's a finisher and not really that involved in the build-up. I'd rather play JPB than him. 

Ahhh just sell him to Arsenal for 50 mill, they can put him on 120k a week on a ten year contract, be fine it will or we ask Trade for ESR now that would annoy them 😂

Edited by Dave-R

12 hours ago, bobzy said:

Potential unpopular opinion, but I’d keep him with us for the long term as a squad player. He’s effective enough without being brilliant and doesn’t strike me as the type to kick up a fuss.

In fact, almost the opposite - I feel that if he knows he’s “loved” and comfortable with where he is then he’ll do ‘well enough’ and I think we saw that last season. Perfect squad player. 

I have absolutely no idea what this would be unpopular. We know he shouldn't be starting every week for an ambitious Premier League club, but we also know that if that happens sporadically, or even for any extended period of time, he is at least going to score goals. 

I am happy for AEG to be part of the squad but I would also sell if anyone offered £10m+. He is a good lad but my goodness he is limited. He gets turned over so much, rarely takes on his man and never passes if he gets a sniff of goal. It feels like a natural time for us to part to be honest. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, M_Afro said:

I am happy for AEG to be part of the squad but I would also sell if anyone offered £10m+. He is a good lad but my goodness he is limited. He gets turned over so much, rarely takes on his man and never passes if he gets a sniff of goal. It feels like a natural time for us to part to be honest. 

100% agree.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

Was bright enough, there were times when himself, Ollie and Buendia could all have played each other in for goals but each shot instead, a little bit of rustiness.

Came to say the same. They both combined well and it looks like a partnership that could develop. I respect AEG and how he is developing himself. I want him to do well, he has always has this directness about him I like, maybe an overhang of his being managed by Bielsa previously. He always wants to move the ball closer to the oppositions goal, by carrying pass or preferably shooting. I just dig him.

It’s just a good time to sell him, if the interest is there. We should get a decent fee.

On the other hand, can he improve and go up another level or two with better players around him? A more confident and successful team?

He needs to be better in build up play, stop breaking down or ending our attacks so easily and often… a bit more intelligent with his shooting too, can be wasteful and would do well to look up and pick out a teammate in a better position at times…

• Like 3

Â