Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

His output is pretty impressive for someone who really flatters to deceive when you watch him in general play. I really like the guy and think he could have a higher ceiling. Main issue I have with him is his desire at times, comes across a bit powderpuff and there’s plenty of occasions where he doesnt look like he fancies it at all. He’s proven to be very valuable to us however and i want to see him keep delivering for us next season and raise his consistency.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sulberto21 said:

11 goals in about 17 games worth of minutes or was it 18. In all competitions. People want to sell him. Yet his replacement will need time settling in then the "we should have kept El Ghazi" complaining will begin. 

Ashley Young and Buendia coming in will have a positive effect on his game.

Agreed. If he starts picking up stuff from Young on the training ground he could really become a quality player for us.

He's got all the attributes it's just his application that lets him down from what I've seen. I've never noticed this lack of desire or lightweight player that a lot of other fans seem to complain about but maybe I'm too forgiving of his shortcomings because I like him as a player and want him to do well. 

8 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Agreed. If he starts picking up stuff from Young on the training ground he could really become a quality player for us.

He's got all the attributes it's just his application that lets him down from what I've seen. I've never noticed this lack of desire or lightweight player that a lot of other fans seem to complain about but maybe I'm too forgiving of his shortcomings because I like him as a player and want him to do well. 

Agreed. He's got two years left on his contract. I don't know if it'll be extended so it might be a case of he'll be a useful back up for the next two years and we get maximum use out of him

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Agreed. He's got two years left on his contract. I don't know if it'll be extended so it might be a case of he'll be a useful back up for the next two years and we get maximum use out of him

The Wire GIF

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I mean he will be extended. His value isn't like Lansbury. He is a premier league calibre player and can be sold for a good fee. We aren't going to run his contract down and let him expire. 

He's got value for his goals per minutes played alone imo.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

There's no way I'd be selling AEG this summer. The man hit double figures playing irregularly throughout the campaign.

Seems a dedicated professional, takes a good penalty, not afraid to pull the trigger. With even better players around him, I'm sure his game can improve further.

We've been conditioned to think of having a starting XI, but we need to have effective rotation, and be able to make tactical changes to formation and personnel.

Selling AEG would require replacing him, and I don't know how you replace 10+ goals without spending a lot of money.

I think the counter argument is putting him in swop deal could get one of those 30-40m wide players we endlessly talk about from Bundesliga, Holland, Italy etc. Heck I don't want him but it's possible we could offer him to Palace and they'd take him in swop with Zaha and another 30m so many possibilities when you've got a squad player who's just hit double figures in the league.

I think we'll keep him anyway, probably certain when Trez did his ACL at Liverpool as we're not exactly overstock with wide players compared to all the clubs above us who all seem to have 5-6 options for just two positions while we only really have 3 at best.

Interesting what we do with his contract, will surely have to offer him an extension as keeping him and not playing him as much will mean his value will probably reduce by half next summer with just one year left on his deal.

He is probably the most valuable player we have who we could move on without seriously making our first 11 weaker so will be interesting discussions about him behind the scenes I reckon.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

He would have some better then some of that lot last night against the Czechs. 

They desperately needed someone to be more direct, to step up and have a shot rather than incessantly trying to work it through a stubborn backline; Anwar would've been perfect for that. Frank the Farmer got it all wrong, quelle surprise.

4 hours ago, the_eristic said:

They desperately needed someone to be more direct, to step up and have a shot rather than incessantly trying to work it through a stubborn backline; Anwar would've been perfect for that. Frank the Farmer got it all wrong, quelle surprise.

At the very minimum you take a competent winger who has never missed a penalty in his career to a tournament where you could easily end up in a penalty shootout. That seems like a no brainer to me as well. 

Â