Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

Reports from France claim Aston Villa are beating Leeds United in the race for a winger managed by Portuguese super-agent Jorge Mendes.

L'Equipe claims Netherlands international Anwar El Ghazi is set for Villa Park - in what could be a second winger recruited in 24 hours.

Lille are in need of cash and want €5million for a player previously valued far higher, according to the reputable newspaper.

Here's the full story behind Jorge Mendes' Villa target:

Background

Anwar El-Ghazi was born in Barendrecht on 3rd May 1995 and began his football career in the same area.

In July 2006 El-Ghazi left Barendrecht Youth for Feyenoord's academy on a free transfer and two years later moved to Spartaan Youth.

Just a year on the similarly named Sparta Youth acquired his services and worked his way through the Sparta youth academy for four years at various levels.

In July 2013 Ajax paid £5,000 for El-Ghazi and he worked his way from their under-19s and into the first team.

In January 2017 LOSC Lille of the French Ligue 1 paid £6.3million for his signature and he has been with them ever since.

0_JS71861414.jpg

Playing style

El-Ghazi plays predominantly on the right-wing but also has the ability to play on the left or as a centre-forward.

On the right he has scored 33 goals and created a further 19 in 124 senior appearances.

El-Ghazi has made 16 appearances on the left, scoring four goals in that position while he has scored five goals and created one in his 14 appearances up front.

READOR

Villa links

Aston Villa and Leeds United are said to be in for him but the claret and blues llead the chase due to their reported dealings with the player's agent, Jorge Mendes.

It was recently revealed that Mendes, who also assists Wolves in transfer dealings, would be lending an ear to Villa’s new owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

Mendes has already helped Villa secure a loan deal for Portuguese goalkeeper Andre Moreira from Atletico Madrid and El Ghazi is the latest player the Gestifute chief is said to have put forward to the claret and blues.

0_JS158121526.jpg

Does he want to leave?

Back in February El-Ghazy spoke to LOSC Lille's media department, here's what he said about the club:

"I feel at home now in Lille, at LOSC. It's been a year since I arrived and I'm progressing every day, I feel better and better. I now consider the club and its supporters as my own family.

"We have to stay together, as a team. Without giving up, fighting again and again."

READ MOR

Do they need to sell?

According to sports website Get Football News France, Lille must raise €30million to satisfy French financial watchdog the DNCG.

If Lille fail to raise the funds they could be hit with restrictions such as being unable to play any of their new signings Loic Remy, Rafael Leao, and Jeremy Pied, until they do so.

clicky

• Like 1

23 hours ago, tomav84 said:

agent drops the name of the 3rd richest club in the UK to drive price up...nothing to see here IMO

well apparently i spoke well too soon

9 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Is he actually any good? Anyone watch him before?

yes i have seen him before for both Ajax and Lille and i rate him. Has scope to improve as well!

More excited about him than i am with Bolasie

But welcome both! those 2, Green and Adomah  should tear this league apart

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

yes i have seen him before for both Ajax and Lille and i rate him. Has scope to improve as well!

More excited about him than i am with Bolasie

But welcome both! those 2, Green and Adomah  should tear this league apart

Indeed. The latter two have been doing such a stellar job thus far.

3 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Indeed. The latter two have been doing such a stellar job thus far.

Sarcasm?

Gives us plenty of options even if Green has been average and Adomah poor.

Obviously Adomah is best friends with Yannick so might see him return to form!

Then we have El Ghazi with his fancy tricks

And Jack & John in middle

It's bloody exciting.

Edited by Villan4Life

Â