Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

On 20/10/2020 at 17:09, Delphinho123 said:

He doesn’t have that much natural footballing ability really tbh. He’s had about 5 good games for us over two seasons. 

He’s not a bad player, just nowhere near good enough at this level. He’s an average championship player at best. Might make it in the Spanish/Italian top league. 

we said the same about Trez if not even worse. all I'm saying is that I don't think we should give up on him just yet.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Villaphan04 said:

Not sure if I'm seeing things, but he looked considerable taller than most of the rest of our team. 

No he is 6ft 2. He just doesn't seem it most the time because he plays like he has the physicality of Shaun Wright Phillips.

He has the ability to have played a big part in this run, and would be reaping the rewards now...if he wasn't such a  wet fart.

Interesting run out for him, shows management still has faith and the gauntlet has been thrown down by Trez and Traore. Was a very small cameo but he was closer to Cash in them minutes than he usually is to the full back. 

• 2 weeks later...

It helps that we are actually a dangerous side now, and have people who look like they can get on the end of his crosses now.

I was hoping he'd come over to the left and Trez back to the right when he came on. That's where he's most dangerous.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

It helps that we are actually a dangerous side now, and have people who look like they can get on the end of his crosses now.

I was hoping he'd come over to the left and Trez back to the right when he came on. That's where he's most dangerous.

I think they were protecting Targett against Lamptey so he didn't get a 2nd yellow. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Dale said:

Thought he looked good when he came on y'day, got plenty of decent balls into the box. 

The thing is none of our players were gambling for crosses. Watkins stayed in the centre of the goal for all of them. When el ghazi put one front post where if watkins nipped in front it could of been a goal he didn't make the run. When he put a ball backpost where there was space no one attacked it. Same story as last season for el ghazi. 

I wonder if it’s worth trying Anwar as a direct replacement for Barkley, they’re not the same players of course but I wonder if Anwar might enjoy the being in the middle and playing off the striker.

Plus, I don’t think we have many other solutions without moving Grealish and he is 100% at his best wide left.

• Like 2

On 09/11/2020 at 16:16, Villaphan04 said:

Not sure if I'm seeing things, but he looked considerable taller than most of the rest of our team. 

He is, he is 6'2......should be knocking them over like Adama Traore......Alan wright had more physicality in him.

21 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I wonder if it’s worth trying Anwar as a direct replacement for Barkley, they’re not the same players of course but I wonder if Anwar might enjoy the being in the middle and playing off the striker.

Plus, I don’t think we have many other solutions without moving Grealish and he is 100% at his best wide left.

Not a bad shout mate imo.

I think we've tried him as a striker when Wesley went down last year and Davies was out - it wasn't great, but I could see him as a second striker like Barkley essentially plays.

He's direct, has a decent long range shot on him (baggies goal was pretty central from 25 yards) and he's quick and quite powerful, pretty much the same kind of build as Ross, but lacking in the experience of playing there perhaps?

If we can't see other options though, I'd love to see him back in the team.  Youtube recommended loads of our play-off final winning season and I've gone doughey-eye for him :lol: 

• Like 1

Been holding out hope he can recapture the best of his previous form. If he can he's a great player for us to have.  Still a massively big if, but his latest preformance keeps that now slim hope alive.

Wouldn't be against him starting in place of Ross against the weakest opposition we'll be coming up against as a trial.  Him and Jack could swap positions quite regularly throughout the game and be a decent double threat. Traore could potentially do the same.

17 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Been holding out hope he can recapture the best of his previous form. If he can he's a great player for us to have.  Still a massively big if, but his latest preformance keeps that now slim hope alive.

Wouldn't be against him starting in place of Ross against the weakest opposition we'll be coming up against as a trial.  Him and Jack could swap positions quite regularly throughout the game and be a decent double threat. Traore could potentially do the same.

Anwar on the left, Trez on the right and Jack in Barkley's position wouldn't be too bad. He'll have to grab that opportunity with both hands as he can't hide behind Trez being worse than him anymore.

On 24/11/2020 at 15:42, bannedfromHandV said:

If Traore can get 60 minutes at number 10 I'd be well up for seeing AEG more centrally, actually think he's got the skillset to do well given time as he's good technically and nice and direct.

I wanted to see him there when Jack was out for three months in the promotion season but it never happened so think DS sees him purely as wide player.

23 hours ago, MrBlack said:

He wasn't making the bench for the early prem games so if that dosen't give him kick up the backside nothing will.

That's how we're improving the squad, this time last year he was pretty much automatic starter with the wildly inconsistant games. Now it's a struggle for him to make the bench when all attackers are fit.

Next move is up to him.

10 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He wasn't making the bench for the early prem games so if that dosen't give him kick up the backside nothing will.

That's how we're improving the squad, this time last year he was pretty much automatic starter with the wildly inconsistant games. Now it's a struggle for him to make the bench when all attackers are fit.

Next move is up to him.

Agree, I think the lack of threat to him losing his place worked against him, as it would a lot of players. Sadly it seemed he also didn't appreciate being dropped initially,  which suggested a serious attitude issue all round.

Maybe he's learnt some humility and started putting in some effort in training. I don't think it would take much for him to be a competent first team player, the raw ability is definitely there. Asking for a serious mindset change at his age is a challenge but it could happen. The club seems to have the right setup for it to happen now at least.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Agree, I think the lack of threat to him losing his place worked against him, as it would a lot of players. Sadly it seemed he also didn't appreciate being dropped initially,  which suggested a serious attitude issue all round.

Maybe he's learnt some humility and started putting in some effort in training. I don't think it would take much for him to be a competent first team player, the raw ability is definitely there. Asking for a serious mindset change at his age is a challenge but it could happen. The club seems to have the right setup for it to happen now at least.

That's a bit much, he's not going around ****ing hookers and snorting Colombian marching powder from the cracks of their arses.

He might just have taken the dropping to heart and took a while to get his morale back up and is now putting in some good performances in training. He comes across as a bit sensitive and someone who needs a bit of an arm around the shoulder if something goes wrong or he doesn't play well. He never struck me as someone with a serious attitude problem.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Â