Anwar El Ghazi

13 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Always considered that he could play both flanks. He is both footed? Perhaps a lot to ask for him to step up to Prem on his unfavoured flank. Still posted reasonable numbers for debut season. Maybe that *miss* against Everton is clouding people's judgement?

He hasn't been abject. Just like Trez he got a combined 8 goals and assists. I think the fact that Jack played on the opposite wing hurt his play a bit. I feel that if Jack plays through the middle, even if he plays on the right he'd get a lot more joy. As it stands he's expected to pick up the ball at stand-still and beat both full-back and tracking winger (if Elmo/Guilbert are overlapping) and then cross it to a striker that more often than not isn't there. The odds aren't exactly stacked in his favour. This is his year to step up though. He'll need to get ahead of Rashica now if he wants to play on the left and I imagine that's a damn sight easier than ousting Jack.

1 minute ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Would keep him as a squad player personally but if you cant turn it on against burton albion, u cant expect to do it in the prem

No matter who you are playing beating 2 players right next to each other is not an easy task. We can se it with jack when he can't just run into a crowded penalty area. El ghazi isn't a world beater and without any overlapping support from elmo of course he struggled. And it isn't as if elmo was foigg anything else to help our attacking efforts as every cross he made sailed well past the back post. 

2 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

No matter who you are playing beating 2 players right next to each other is not an easy task. We can se it with jack when he can't just run into a crowded penalty area. El ghazi isn't a world beater and without any overlapping support from elmo of course he struggled. And it isn't as if elmo was foigg anything else to help our attacking efforts as every cross he made sailed well past the back post. 

True, but i dont remember any moment where anwar actually did anything but lose the ball

7 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

True, but i dont remember any moment where anwar actually did anything but lose the ball

He put in a good cross where Ramsey couldn't quite get on the end of it. But how many times can you honestly say that anyone gave el ghazi an option to pass to seriously. It happens every game where trez or el ghazi are out on the wing they look to beat their man or make a pass that isn't 20 yards backwards to elmo and the only time they ever have an option is if Luiz has left his position to come short, Jack has drifted over to the right or guilbert has made an overlapping run and the defender hasn't tracked him (which in that case means he still has to beat 2 players with a pass which isn't easy). It is very hard to beat a man if they know your only valid option is to beat them rather than put a ball into the box (which would end up being cleared), shooting which they can't do because they are outside and on the wrong foot or making a pass which they can't do because no one comes short for them so they are forced to make silly low percentage decisions on the hopes that they can beat 2 players and get a ball in or the striker has gambled and will get in the end of it. 

I'm hoping with Jack moving in to Midfield our attack will be a lot better because our wingers will have more support and mcginn will be deeper which means he will either be an option to pass to or he won't be freeing up an additional midfielder to press the winger by standing directly next to our striker. 

For most of the season he was our most  relative player other than Jack which means teams focused on him and it became harder and harder for him to beat his man especially since he was getting no support. 

Edited by MotoMkali
  • Like 2

Remember when Jack played in the middle in the 17/18 season, our wingers were unstoppable. I imagine if you took him out of there and put him on the left ahead of Adomah, Snodgrass wouldn't have been nearly as prolific. Having a player like him that can draw defences and play inch perfect through balls inside the full-back to the winger is invaluable and makes the wingers that much more dangerous. 

21 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Would keep him as a squad player personally but if you cant turn it on against burton albion, u cant expect to do it in the prem

I think having him as a back up will be good and hopefully he can learn from better players around him.

He needs to pick himself up though.

18 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

He needs to bulk up.  He's got good pace and skill, just needs to add physicality.  It'll come, I'm sure.

I don't know, he seems to be built like a tank. It's really just his demeanor that makes him look meeker than he is. He's like 6'3, but he slouches so much you'd be hard pressed to tell. What he needs is confidence, and dare I say it, arrogance. 

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

I don't know, he seems to be built like a tank. It's really just his demeanor that makes him look meeker than he is. He's like 6'3, but he slouches so much you'd be hard pressed to tell. What he needs is confidence, and dare I say it, arrogance. 

Yea absolutely. He needs to through his weight around, be more assertive, dominant, whatever. 

He's got a body some footballers can only dream about, he needs to know that.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

He needs to bulk up.  He's got good pace and skill, just needs to add physicality.  It'll come, I'm sure.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the kid physically. The issue is his mindset and attitude towards physical contact. 

Adding a bit of muscle wouldn't change anything. 

On 17/09/2020 at 09:19, GENTLEMAN said:

Yeah, I was just watching his highlights from 18/19. He looks a completely different player. Just steaming past players. Is it that he was afforded space and was just a bit more athletic than his Championship counterparts. The Prem is much more athletic. Or is it a confidence issue with him, feeling he is not part of a first 11.

This is the AEG I have stuck in my memory,  having seen much more of us in that seasom than I have in the Prem.  It is where my C.Ronaldo comparisons came from at the time.  Seriously, certain clips where he is running with the ball, at a distance you would swear it was CR. I fully accept he has not done it consistently, even in that season, was doing it against Championship level opposition,  and has not demonstrated that ability very much since then.

Its such a shame as I'm convinced he could be brilliant, but maybe a season without Abraham on the end of his crosses, in a tougher league, playing on his non favoured side has destroyed his confidence. Whether he can get it back is a big question, and based on his performance against Burton it appears there is still a long way to go.

If we're the club that is on the up like we feel we are, we should be able to get those performances out of AEG again.

He is built like a brick shithouse but is a soft a a tub of spunk.

Unless he is playing alongside you in a dominant team like Celtic or PSG you dont want a guy like Anwar on your team. The reaction of the team against Southampton said it all. I reckon they see it every day in training. They've had enough of him.

I would sell him tomorrow if we are in for another wide player and we could at least get our money back.  He has had his moments and I agree with the CR7 comparisons, in those moments, but they are way too few and far between.  Typically, he is not quick enough or tricky enough to be an out and out winger and he doesn't do enough defensively to be wide midfielder.  He has nowhere near the energy and commitment of Trez for example. 

I think the (sad for us) reality is that he's been found out at this level. He's an excellent Championship winger, but doesn't have the attributes to step up to the prem. I say that with a heavy heart since I think most Villa fans thought he'd make the step up, but while he's a useful enough squad player, he shouldn't be near the starting 11 on a regular basis.

• Like 1
On 17/09/2020 at 18:11, Keyblade said:

He hasn't been abject. Just like Trez he got a combined 8 goals and assists. I think the fact that Jack played on the opposite wing hurt his play a bit. I feel that if Jack plays through the middle, even if he plays on the right he'd get a lot more joy. As it stands he's expected to pick up the ball at stand-still and beat both full-back and tracking winger (if Elmo/Guilbert are overlapping) and then cross it to a striker that more often than not isn't there. The odds aren't exactly stacked in his favour. This is his year to step up though. He'll need to get ahead of Rashica now if he wants to play on the left and I imagine that's a damn sight easier than ousting Jack.

I'd argue it should have helped him as well. Considering how much of our play went and goes through Jack, it opens up so much space for the other wing, but AEG never seemed able to do anything effective with it. 

On 18/09/2020 at 16:57, rodders0223 said:

He is built like a brick shithouse but is a soft a a tub of spunk.

Unless he is playing alongside you in a dominant team like Celtic or PSG you dont want a guy like Anwar on your team. The reaction of the team against Southampton said it all. I reckon they see it every day in training. They've had enough of him.

ken-1.jpg

4 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'd argue it should have helped him as well. Considering how much of our play went and goes through Jack, it opens up so much space for the other wing, but AEG never seemed able to do anything effective with it. 

I think without a proper creative player there he doesn't get the ball in dangerous positions. In the Championship, especially when he was on the left, he'd be running onto the ball where he could then make something happen. Last season he was receiving the ball basically only from Elmo/Guilbert at a standstill. You'd need to be an extraordinary player like Jack to make something happen from there.

• Like 1

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â