Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

He just needs a bit more self belief. Imagine if he fully realized how scary he is when he's running with the ball at full speed. I don't think he's fully grasped it yet. He could be unplayable with the right attitude. It's odd, since he clearly models his game after Ronaldo but completely lacks his unwavering confidence.

• Like 1

He’s a better player than Trezeguet (not saying a great deal) but I’d rather have Trezeguet in the team as he gives us more effort and desire. 

Both him and Trezeguet need to be improved on, whether we can do this in January remains to be seen. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He’s a better player than Trezeguet (not saying a great deal) but I’d rather have Trezeguet in the team as he gives us more effort and desire.

Eh? 

3 hours ago, Keyblade said:

He just needs a bit more self belief. Imagine if he fully realized how scary he is when he's running with the ball at full speed. I don't think he's fully grasped it yet. He could be unplayable with the right attitude. It's odd, since he clearly models his game after Ronaldo but completely lacks his unwavering confidence.

When I watch him in full flow I think the same. His step overs, the little jinks, the way he opens his body up to invite the tackle only to glide past them. He really is a terrifying player in full flight. Before he got injured against United, he was the best player on the pitch.

His default personality is the downtrodden one. Rather than Ronaldo’s ‘none will beat me’ attitude, AEG is more like ‘they just beat me and I hate it’. With the injury against United, you could see his utter dejection. He just doesn’t deal with set backs. This explains his dramatic shifts in form. 

Hopefully in this 3-5-3 formation, he can have similar licence as Jack to wander about, link with whomever is up top and then tuck in when needed defensively. 

Edited by KevinRichardsonsMoustache
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

His default personality is the downtrodden one. Rather than Ronaldo’s ‘none will beat me’ attitude, AEG is more like ‘they just beat me and I hate it’. With the injury against United, you could see his utter dejection. He just doesn’t deal with set backs. This explains his dramatic shifts in form. 

Absolutely spot on. Ive always said its his fragile mentality which explains the inconsistency. I think Matt Targett suffers the same problem actually.

It's all confidence. If that first little movement or trick comes off, he's got you the whole game. 

Such a good player when he's like that. Drifting around making a mischief, he worked hard too and lead the line. 

Maybe he is a better striker? Stranger moves have happened. Maybe we only get a target man this window and see how we go with the others playing off him? 

Shout out to El Ghazi. I thought he looked good up front. He looked like he was enjoying the fact that he didn’t have to defend. 

I really think he could play that position. Henry style. Playing through middle and drifting out wide.

i really dont like him as a winger, that has to trick back. He is not good at it.

I would keep playing El Ghazi as a striker / false 9. He can shoot convincingly off both feet, which is a great quality for a striker, and he's pretty quick, so dangerous on the break. He's not great at hold up play, but he at least makes a nuisance of himself in the aerial duels.

And because he's a natural winger, he can swap positions fluidly with Jack and Trez. Think that front 3 is a real headache for any defence, even if it's a bit lightweight.

But I'd much rather we keep playing AEG up top instead of Kodjia.

• Like 1

Some of what he did the other night was very good, the ball in for the goal was superb.

Still didn’t do a lot off the ball though for me, jogged around the centre circle a lot but then I don’t know if that was under instruction, to be honest I think he played not fully fit and hence why he came off in the end.

17 hours ago, MarkLillis said:

A good performance last night.

So credit where it due.I just can’t figure this guy out.

Inconsistent is an understatement 

Oh boy is it an understatement!  Anwar can be wildly inconsistent, throughout entire stretches of games, literally moment to moment.  A flash of real, menacing intent followed by an instant mis-control, a darting cut inside followed by a sudden brainfreeze, brilliantly finding space then slowing down play through indecision.  It's almost impressive.  It can't be good for a gentle boy's nerves.

I think this is where the 'be a good team-mate' philosophy falls afoul.  There's generally massive spirit, mutual support and resilience amongst our defenders.  The same can't be said about the midfield, the shoe-shufflers at the side of the disco to our defence's sweaty conga.  Football is obviously massively about communication.  Much of that is instruction obviously.  But some of that instruction is simply, for want of a less wanky term, psychological game management.  Jack, whilst obviously our talisman, is a bit too much of a brilliant magician to command such a role.  Plus, he can't do it all himself.  The players, I fear, are simply not good enough all over the pitch to reassure and inspire each other with their technical consistency or organizational prowess.  They need to coach themselves through this too.  

• Like 2

Strange that sometimes when he plays in his natural position out wide, he sometimes looks a little lazy and uninvolved - today he had to work his socks off against ridiculous odds and looked like he'd happily graft away for the team. His attitude is generally pretty good, he's likeable, he's worth keeping around the squad but I'm not sure he's good enough to be starting in the longer term.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Indigo said:

Felt for him today, did all he could with no support, playing in a position not natural to him. In what is the faintest silver lining of all time I was glad for him to get a goal in the end. Absolute bedlam when it did too, I'll be remembering that one for many years to come.

And for all those on here who (weirdly to me) question his mentality, I liked his insistence on taking it and the way he stuck it away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

And for all those on here who (weirdly to me) question his mentality, I liked his insistence on taking it and the way he stuck it away.

To be honest mate I don't think it's unfair to question his mentally, and that's my biggest gripe with the kid. Some times his attitude and performance is very very good and he looks like a proper player, other times he looks woeful. He is still young and new to the PL so inconsistency is to be expected, but rather than being a 1 in 2/3 type performer it's more like a 1 in 5 or 6. 

Â