Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

9 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

The screamer against the Baggies. Running the show in the play off final. That late goal against Everton and the stadium exploding. Agreed we want more consistency (and I hope that comes with time) but he’s given me some of my favourite moments of the last 18 months or so.

There have certainly been some good moments and he definitely has ability. But we need way way way more consistency. He’s having a good game one in every five if that. Can’t actually remember the last one. 

He came into this season with a lot of good will from the fans and the manager but he’s successfully played himself out of the team. I’d imagine getting the wide areas sorted along with strikers is Smiths biggest priority.

El Ghazi looks very low on confidence to me right now. Starting to see why he couldn’t make it at Lille, Ajax, hope I’m wrong but maybe he doesn’t have mentality to cut it at the top level. 

Weird player. On his day he is great. He's been invovled in a lot of our goals this season. He puts in some dangerous crossess from time to time and gets in good goal scoring positions. However, other times he looks disinterested and out of the game. Definitely very talented but maybe needs some self belief and toughness. 

• Like 1

I think he looks better when Villa are playing well and on top of things.  He shows for the ball and tries things and in a 1 v 1 I back him more often than not. 

However, when we're under the cosh and we need someone to put a foot on the ball to regain some composure, he doesn't really show it.  

I like El Ghazi but I can understand the frustration with him, but it's indicative of wingers generally to be up and down. 

He plays well when he gets Jack (who makes everyone look better) and Conor around him. 

One thing I don't get about him is that he is such a good dribbler at speed. Sometimes he looks untouchable when he glides past players but he hardly ever tries it. He tries the safe option too much for me. 

• Like 2

I've accepted what he is and I'm disappointed. Talented but remarkably inconsistent and has no fight in him at all.

If he has two great games in a row he should probably be taken out for a week because he won't make it three in a row.

I don't think Dean's style fully unlocks what's in him, but I don't think a stricter manager would get anything out of him at all. Only he can decide if he wants to become a real player by showing some mettle, that'll add 50% to his game.

Edited by Tomaszk

Ghazi has good positioning, terrible finishing though for the ammount of chances he fluffed. Ghazi I'm afraid won't make a premier player, will rule at championship level but this level I don't think he's got it. I guess he will either prove us wrong or he will continue to screw chances he's getting untill he fades away. Ghazi also does not have accurate crossing, for a winger that is absoloute vital, we have found ourselves with a few wingers who are having trouble in crossing, passing or just beating there man, even getting back to defend.

Ghazi has been told of a few times lately by defensive players for not dealing with there man, he's also cost us a game or two because of it. His attitude with Mings I'm surprised he's gotten away with that if I were Smith had of been dealt with because you don't do that in front of thousands to your own player.

His behaviour almost looks as though he's going through pressure and is unable to deal with it in the correct ways, yet his playing ability is being affected by it as well.

Edited by Dave-R

Just wanna say he is being played out of position this season. When we first signed him, El Ghazi was pretty meh because he was playing right wing. When he got moved to left wing, he looked more comfortable. Even this season in the few matches he played LW, he looked like an actual winger. El Ghazi just doesn't seem comfortable on the right. On the left he regularly attacks the full back and has the ability to use either foot when cutting in. 

Unfortunately that is where jack has been playing though. 

5 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Just wanna say he is being played out of position this season. When we first signed him, El Ghazi was pretty meh because he was playing right wing. When he got moved to left wing, he looked more comfortable. Even this season in the few matches he played LW, he looked like an actual winger. El Ghazi just doesn't seem comfortable on the right. On the left he regularly attacks the full back and has the ability to use either foot when cutting in. 

Unfortunately that is where jack has been playing though. 

He played on the left on the weekend and was garbage but point taken he in general looks better on the left. Didn't he come on against Everton on the left and score?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

Our entire attack is very very weak to be honest.

AEG, Trezeguet and Wesley are all not really good enough

AEG would be good as an impact sub/ rotation option. Wesley would be pretty decent as a rotation option, Trezeguet is not fit for purpose under any form of utilisation. 

Ultimately you're right in an ideal world we wouldn't be relying on any from the start.

• Like 1

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

AEG would be good as an impact sub/ rotation option. Wesley would be pretty decent as a rotation option, Trezeguet is not fit for purpose under any form of utilisation. 

Ultimately you're right in an ideal world we wouldn't be relying on any from the start.

Exactly. They'd all do a job as squad members. But relying on at least 2 of the 3 all season has been a massive hinderance.

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He played on the left on the weekend and was garbage but point taken he in general looks better on the left. Didn't he come on against Everton on the left and score?

He actually hasn't play left wing in the league since september, but yea against Fulham he played there and was pretty underwhelming, but so was the rest of the team. 

Unfortunately if we are going to play the 3-4-3, El Ghazi will have to figure out how to play right wing. 

If he could learn to defend and get a proper attitude he'd be a good player. Right now he's lacking too much both mentally and defensively to be someone I'd like to stick with. Hopefully we can replace him in the first team soon.

9 hours ago, omariqy said:

One thing I don't get about him is that he is such a good dribbler at speed. Sometimes he looks untouchable when he glides past players but he hardly ever tries it. He tries the safe option too much for me. 

It’s a confidence thing. He loses it so easily and then when low, he tries to keep the ball rather than trying the more attacking option

Â