Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

DS has missed a trick by not playing El Ghazi as an ACM in Grealish's absence. He has skill, passing ability, dribbling and a great shot. 

I totally agree with this. IMO, playing a middle 3 of Hourihane, Mcginn and Whelan has been a mistake. Hourihane has played alone in a DM role most the season so has been a focal point for bringing the ball out from the back. Now he has Whelan sitting in with him he looks like a headless chicken trying to find the spaces. When Grealish was in the team he had him and Mcginn forward to pass to, now Mcginn is his only forward outlet in the middle. Losing Jack has flipped the middle formation costing us forward momentum and available options for the pass. Playing El Ghazi in there imo would have remedied this somewhat until Jack was fit, especially as he is comfortable with both feet. The FB's are killing the wide players because they're just terrible and then the middle is half cock because it is now defensively set up instead of attackingly. 

• Like 2

So inconsistent but I don't think the way we are playing is helping. With Grealish controlling the ball in midfield and allowing full backs to push up the wingers benefitted massively. Now we hardly get the ball to them and when we do they are 2 on 1 because our full backs are way back.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Thug said:

Bolasie, el-ghazi, adomah, green.

surely all 4 can’t be total shit.

we’re just not getting the ball to the wingers in the right places.

And, no - Hause and Hutton hoofs down the line is not my definition of getting it to the wingers.

Think the possible issue is that opposition team are so easily doubling up or some times tripling up on each of our wingers as this is currently our only way of creating anything. The Full backs unable to support in any meaningful way leaving them overrun, and with jack out there’s no outlay in the middle to draw players and create space. 

Edited by Tony

7 hours ago, Thug said:

Bolasie, el-ghazi, adomah, green.

surely all 4 can’t be total shit.

we’re just not getting the ball to the wingers in the right places.

And, no - Hause and Hutton hoofs down the line is not my definition of getting it to the wingers.

This is where Grealish shines through. He puts the ball behind the defender, right into the wingers path. Nobody in our team is doing that right now.

Hourihane for example will pass it behind the winger, and by the time he controls the ball, one or more defenders are on him. He either has to turn and beat them all or pass it back. Both decisions are disadvantageous.

This is why all of our wingers look lackluster. We don't play with the right pace for them to be effective and we don't get the ball to them in good positions.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

DS has missed a trick by not playing El Ghazi as an ACM in Grealish's absence. He has skill, passing ability, dribbling and a great shot. 

You seriously have to be seeing a different player to me. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Made In Aston said:

I doubt he could fill that role. Too selfish or too slow to release the ball at the right moments. And often poor awareness of the players around him. Loses the ball too often. Which is fine on the wing. But would cost us a lot more centrally. 

I agree that he is skillfull on the ball. Good at cutting in and getting a shot off. 

Edited by Skruff
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

This is where Grealish shines through. He puts the ball behind the defender, right into the wingers path. Nobody in our team is doing that right now.

Hourihane for example will pass it behind the winger, and by the time he controls the ball, one or more defenders are on him. He either has to turn and beat them all or pass it back. Both decisions are disadvantageous.

This is why all of our wingers look lackluster. We don't play with the right pace for them to be effective and we don't get the ball to them in good positions.

It looks so simple when Jack does it but like rocket science for the rest

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Skruff said:

I doubt he could fill that role. Too selfish or too slow to release the ball at the right moments. And often poor awareness of the players around him. Loses the ball too often. Which is fine on the wing. But would cost us a lot more centrally. 

I agree that he is skillfull on the ball. Good at cutting in and getting a shot off. 

The issue is no one else is even coming close to what Grealish can do in that role though. El Ghazi has similar attributes as grealish, but El Ghazi's passing is considerably worse. I still think it would be smart to give him a try at #10. El Ghazi is probably our biggest X factor right now, so might as well give him freedom and see what he can do. 

It's better than forcing McGinn to play that role, or watching Hourihane there. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

The issue is no one else is even coming close to what Grealish can do in that role though. El Ghazi has similar attributes as grealish, but El Ghazi's passing is considerably worse. I still think it would be smart to give him a try at #10. El Ghazi is probably our biggest X factor right now, so might as well give him freedom and see what he can do. 

It's better than forcing McGinn to play that role, or watching Hourihane there. 

Good point. Can't exactly hurt to try either. 

• 2 weeks later...

His first half chance was absolutely embarrasing. He was through why he decided to take the shot first time when he was one on one I'll neve eknow. 

However second half was excellent. That ball to put through for adomahs goal was excellent. Was motm for me based on that second half display. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Will have to have an amazing 10 games tp convince anyone he is worth keeping now.

I'll be honest I quite like El ghazi. I know he is inconsistent but he has massive potential. I think he will be a excellent player in years to come. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'll be honest I quite like El ghazi. I know he is inconsistent but he has massive potential. I think he will be a excellent player in years to come. 

He's 23 or something isn't he?, not exactly 19.

Â