Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

I feel for AEG, never done much to deserve the shit and bile he gets on here.

it’s embarrassing 

hE's Sh1t maTE!

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, mickjacobjr said:

We have Traore Bailey bidace buendia all can play wide plus Watkins if stuck 

I'd love it if we finally got Damsgaard who we have been linked with.  From what I have seen he has the intensity to his game that El Ghazi lacks.  This would give us great options out wide with flexibility and mean that we could make changes during a game without dropping the intensity/threat.

6 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I'd love it if we finally got Damsgaard who we have been linked with.  From what I have seen he has the intensity to his game that El Ghazi lacks.  This would give us great options out wide with flexibility and mean that we could make changes during a game without dropping the intensity/threat.

I like him but you're swapping someone with a goal roughly every 3 games with someone who scores a goal every 18 games.

1 minute ago, commander said:

I like him but you're swapping someone with a goal roughly every 3 games with someone who scores a goal every 18 games.

I can't see his assist figures.  I know El Ghazi's were zero last year.

1. He's young and will develop.

2. He brings intensity and contribution - El Ghazi brings goals (but 4 of his goals were penalties - Ings ain't bad at those) but nothing else to my mind - combined with pace and ball carrying.

3. Damsgaard's international stats for Denmark are 4 goals in 8 games.

4. Judging by the England game, he brings a free kick ability that we haven't got?

5. He can play as an ACM and, from what I have seen, can get his foot in.

34 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

One of those has never played a full premier league game. El Ghazi is one of our top scorers over the past 2 years...

They're all better options imo, only debatable is JPB but his ceiling is way higher. 

10 minutes ago, lexicon said:

They're all better options imo, only debatable is JPB but his ceiling is way higher. 

I agree ... Beundia and Bailey will be regular starters. Relief on the right Traore. And even here Traore could be pushing for a first spot. Bailey seems to prefer the right as well, though he is no slouch on the left.

Bidace on the left? Yes definitely an option; that option should be developed. In the meantime EL Ghazi, and he can compete with Bidace for the second spot.

Edited by fruitvilla

El Ghazi’s stats are very good, there is no doubt about it. He’s proved to be a bargain for us and has played his part in getting the club back on it’s feet. I can’t believe anyone who watches him regularly would say he’s a good player. The amount of time the ball is played into him and he either loses it or it bounces off him is ridiculous.

He is better on the left but is far too predictable, he just cuts inside and hits it. He just never looks comfortable to me with the ball at his feet. Never looks in total control of what he is doing. He is similar to Adomah in that his numbers look good and will score goals but their general play is often poor.

Like I said I’m grateful for his contribution over the last 3 seasons but we need better imo. With the stats he has he should walk into the Holland team but the fact he doesn’t even make the squad speaks volumes. Happy to keep him as a squad player though.

4 hours ago, Czarnikjak said:

Do you think it's a coincidence that we see this kind of AEG against Barrow but not in the Premier league?

Nope,  I think it was was combination of poor management of him last season, bad luck through injuries to our better players, and his extreme reliance on confidence.

We got this kind of AEG during December last season,  then he got switched to the right hand side to accommodate a returning Barkley who didn't deserve a spot in the team.  He's not at all effective on the right (one of his many limitations, but not his fault and a well known fact), and his confidence took a hit.

By the time he got brought back in on his preferred position,  Grealish was injured and he'd lost his confidence to boot. No way he was going to get back to his December best at that point.

Yes, you can argue a professional footballer shouldn't need this level of accommodating, but he clearly does. He's been inconsistent aside from just last season, so there is more to it long term as well. He will obviously look better against a league 2 side than against PL opposition... but we should ride the wave of confidence until it breaks in my opinion.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Do u honestly believe that was his thought process?

Yes, because keeping keepers guessing is how you score pens. Fernandes and Lewandowski do it in their run ups, el ghazi doesn't so he has to try more audacious ones occasionally to reduce the chance of them moving early and getting a save. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, a-k said:

Same old Man United' - Aston Villa fans are fuming after Bruno Fernandes  revelation - Birmingham Live

Point well made! It's obviously not an exact science but the theory is still sound.

Regardless, scoring a cheeky penalty is no more disrespectful than any other kind of ridiculous and supposedly unnecessary finish like Traore's goal vs West Brom. 

Your job as a professional footballer is to grind your opponent into dust. To hold back out of courtesy is not only disrespectful to them, but to the game itself. 

• Like 2

If we get a good offer for him and are supremely confident we can replace him with a better player, then cool, let's all move on. But until that time, why on earth would we entertain selling him? He quite clearly adds value, even if you don't rate how he goes about it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

We have Bailey, Buendia, JPB and Traore as wing options. That's enough.

No it isn't. We started last season with 5 players in the 3 behind Watkins. We ended with 2. Traore and Bailey are injury prone, Buendia is prone to seeing red and bidace has played 120 minutes of men's football 

• Like 2

Just now, commander said:

I genuinely think this is part of it. 

I think it's more that he has sulky body language and also the fact that people expect their wingers, even their 3rd choice wingers evidently, to be constantly ripping fullbacks to shred all game. If he's not, and he's making mistakes or isn't taking them on as much then he must be shit.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ridiculous post.

Is it any more ridiculous than us wanted to giet rid of our top scorer since we've been promoted, in the past 32 games and also so far this season? More ridiculous than wanting to sell our only left winger? Is it more ridiculous than that? Is it more ridiculous than saying he's our worst winger? Is it more ridiculous we want to replace a 1 in 3 goal scorer with a 1 in 18? Is it more of a ridiculous statement than those? Really?

Edited by commander
  • Like 3

Â