Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

I see the usual suspects are back to the personal abuse. Yawn!

However his performances have not been good enough recently. If you can't assist or score you have to bring other attributes which give your team the ascendency. However he either has brilliant games or nothing games and that's not good enough for us where we are trying to be.

We need to improve the wide areas in the summer as a matter of priority. I'm not comparing him to grealish but guys like Dwight McNeil would be more dependable and get crosses in which will go beyond the first man. It's no accident as soon as he went off we suddenly had more energy.

A shame as I defend him quite a bit but he's not doing himself any favours.

1 hour ago, DCJonah said:

That was similar to his West Ham performance. Abysmal today. And I really like him. 

When he’s bad, he’s spectacularly bad. He wasn’t quite as bad as he was against West Ham, but it was close. 

Needs to be moved on in the Summer. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

When he’s bad, he’s spectacularly bad. He wasn’t quite as bad as he was against West Ham, but it was close. 

I have to agree

59 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Agree. Had a purple patch with a few goals but he’s just doesn’t offer anywhere near enough. At least with Trez when he is poor he gets around the pitch so isn’t being carried by the other players. AEG just becomes anonymous.

He's awful. Those goals he scored just papered over the cracks of his general game. We should always have to plan for all eventualities if Grealish does go. Not exactly like for for like and i don't know if Smith would have a lefty wide left but Dwight McNeil is some player.

Needs to be scoring 15 goals a season for his all round play to be excused. Or he needs to be a solid 6.5/7 out of 10 every game when he doesn't score or assist.

Yesterday was a 3 at best. West Ham was incredible in that he didn't make a single successful pass. That was a -5! Unfortunately it's not going to happen for him here. 

• Like 1

I didn't think he was that bad. In the time they were both on the pitch, I had him above Traore... He got back and defended well, couple of bright moments. Not where he'd want to be, but I think as he's not popular people are keen to hop on whenever he's not in form. A streaky player, god knows there are a lot about. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Dale said:

I didn't think he was that bad. In the time they were both on the pitch, I had him above Traore... He got back and defended well, couple of bright moments. Not where he'd want to be, but I think as he's not popular people are keen to hop on whenever he's not in form. A streaky player, god knows there are a lot about. 

Shock What GIF by Ananya Birla

• Like 1

This is so where we are now though as a club isn't it? We have remnants of the Chamionship team still and the main difference with top 6 Prem players & Lower League players is consistency. Some lower League or lower half Prem Players can be World beaters on their day..but they simply rarely have those days. From what i've seen the higher up the legue placings you go the more consistently those teams/players perform well. For top 4 you need 7 -10 of your best players performing week in week out. and to be good enough to scrape a win or draw more often than not when you have a below average day.

So it's clear to me that we are now looking at replacing the likes of Elghazi and a few others who have the odd good game in 5 / 6 with ones who have the odd bad game in 5/6.

• Like 3

He has scored some really important goals and it's clear he actually has the talent and ability, but matches like Fulham and West Ham he just went missing and contributed very little.

I still think he gets more criticism than he deserves, certainly more than a lot of players who have been inconsistent get, people really do dial up the hate on Anwar.

But i concede recent form has really undermined his future, he's one of many players that should have stepped up in Grealish's absence, but if anything he's gone missing.

His overall stats still aren' that bad for what we paid for him, but he and Trez (and even Traore) are waaaaay to inconsistent, we need another winger who can score or assist goals every week.

He is a confidence player and when the team is playing well he tends to play well,  but we need big characters who can deputise for Grealish.

• Like 2

What am I missing? 

People keep slagging him off, yet I don't understand what you expect him to do. He never gets any support out wide. When he holds the ball up out left there are never any options (when Jack or watkins does it targett or El ghazi are always an option they need to return the favour). How many times is he left with no option but to try and beat 4 or 5 men.

Against Liverpool he had the ball in a decent position but 3 defenders closed him down because watkins was in the middle of the box and targett was staying back and none of our midfielders came to help. What is he supposed to do in this situation. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Not sure why I am thinking of this, but does the Trez injury make it more likely that we don't move him on during the summer? 

I think the fact that nobody will want to buy him is a bigger reason.

8 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Not sure why I am thinking of this, but does the Trez injury make it more likely that we don't move him on during the summer? 

Move him on regardless and buy new Wingers..

9 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

What am I missing? 

People keep slagging him off, yet I don't understand what you expect him to do. He never gets any support out wide. When he holds the ball up out left there are never any options (when Jack or watkins does it targett or El ghazi are always an option they need to return the favour). How many times is he left with no option but to try and beat 4 or 5 men.

Against Liverpool he had the ball in a decent position but 3 defenders closed him down because watkins was in the middle of the box and targett was staying back and none of our midfielders came to help. What is he supposed to do in this situation. 

I see your back in your defence of the lad, that's okay and I can appreciate your support for him. In all honesty he's a decent guy who's had a rough time at Villa. He's inconsistent, to inconsistent for the level we want to reach.

Let's not beat around the bush here, he's never going to be the player we need now. Were reaching new levels and with those levels come the need for much better calibre and quality of player.

I don't hate the guy before you say so, I certainly do not think he's not within the level of a prem player although he's lingering in a team at the bottom of the league, that's how capable at most he is.

Clubs move on and when player can't constantly evolve and adapt which I would say is fair to say Ghazi has not, then it's fair to say he's not adapted to us reaching new heights. The requirements needed in order for Villa and the teammates he plays with, Ghazi has to be better and he has failed to do that.

As a club and business you can't even dream of keeping a player who is not showing up regular on the field.

Then I'm going to say to you for Ghazi sake let him be, move on with all our respect for the goals he has popped in and great efforts here n there, but he needs to be happy for himself and he could be else where. We shouldn't want to even keep a player on who we know full well isn't delivering the goods at the rate we need. He's not making himself a valuable team mate amongst his teammates who when he's on field he's missing most games and invisible player amongst 10 other men, we need 11 out there.

Â