Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

On 30/12/2020 at 13:17, lexicon said:

It's going to be very interesting to see where this vein of form leads. Is he going to go from strength to strength? Will something happen to discourage him again and send him into a funk? 

I honestly can't believe how well he's done lately - I thought we'd probably not see him play more than garbage minutes as a late sub before selling him in January or the summer,  I never in my wildest dreams would have thought he'd go on a 5 in 5 run.

All in all, it's been an incredible turnaround and he, the staff and the squad all deserve a lot of credit for making it happen. Fingers crossed this is a watershed moment for him and he becomes the player he has the potential to be. 

He's already gone from strength to strength, in the last five matches, five brilliant performances. I'll be happy if his future performances stay at that level! For them to go even higher might be a big ask. I'm not saying he can't get any better at all than those five games (as the saying goes 'there's always room for improvement'), but if he does I guess it's likely to be just a little better. Anyway, a goal every game, what a ratio !

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Decent performance and contributed to a lot of our good work. However another one who was constantly fouled and the fouling players received nothing.

And you could bet if it was the other way round our boys would be getting booked, soft penalty but reluctant to book for persistent fouling

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Won the free kick that led to the goal, and generally had a decent game. Just feel though that against that higher level of opposition, him and Traore are a shade off the quality of the others.

I thought both were good enough. However they were stifled by persistent fouling. It was a shabby refereeing performance today.

I thought we saw all of El Ghazi problems and faults yesterday.

He needs to defend when Wan Bissaka attacks. He doesn’t haven’t a clue how to do this and ball watches way too much.

He also doesn’t seem to recognize space. He dribbled into problems all the time. 

He waits for the ball and doesn’t attack it, letting the defender get there first. Sometimes it looks like he didn’t even know the defender was there- which is baffling!

I know this is very critical of him - he did a couple of good things too, but surely we can find a better option.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

I still think he is a very limited player, but happy he has done well recently.

Decent squad player.

He’s quick, he scores, he can dribble

He’s CANT tackle, and he’s not brave, and he’s inconsistent.

Yes he’s a limited player.

Along with 90% of the footballers out there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thug said:

He’s quick, he scores, he can dribble

He’s CANT tackle, and he’s not brave, and he’s inconsistent.

Yes he’s a limited player.

Along with 90% of the footballers out there.

ye, not sayin he's not a decent squad player, but he's 100% not the standard of player we need to take us to the next level.

On 02/01/2021 at 10:40, rodders0223 said:

Control a ball dropping 2 mile out of the sky. Aye.

Control a bouncing ball from 5 yards at shin height. No.

Strange player.

Is there a replay of this somewhere? I remember thinking what a sweet pass and take down! Initially thought it was Jack lol

Anwar also does this thing where he dribbles into no man's land. I'm like, wait, just look up and pass this time.... but nope lol

15 hours ago, MaVilla said:

ye, not sayin he's not a decent squad player, but he's 100% not the standard of player we need to take us to the next level.

When he's on it, he's bloody good - it's just maintaining form that has been a problem. 

• Like 2

He may not be the best player we've ever signed, but blimey he doesn't half score some vital goals. 

Match winner in 2 derbies this season, the crucial first goal in the play off final, the equaliser at Chelsea to keep the momentum.

You need players like him in a squad. A player who pops up and delivers when others are having on off day. 

He's also a very likeable guy who has stepped up just when we needed him to. Credit where its due. 

• Like 2

Never quite been able to work him out. Sometimes he looks quality but then others he disappears for games on end. It seems if he is fighting hard for his place he perfoms but when he subconciously thinks  his place is secured he takes his foot off the pedal & form drops alarmingly (I could say that about plenty of folk at work too mind)

Â