Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

14 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

Anwar is currently our best winger, and the only one with any kind of wheels. He needs to play.

The thing about wingers is that they're not on for 100% of the game. They play in bursts. The best wingers have more of these bursts in a game, and more decisive ones. Anwar had a couple of those against West Ham and on the whole, he has them more frequently than both Trez and Jota so I agree with you that he's currently our best winger and needs to play.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

The thing about wingers is that they're not on for 100% of the game. They play in bursts. The best wingers have more of these bursts in a game, and more decisive ones. Anwar had a couple of those against West Ham and on the whole, he has them more frequently than both Trez and Jota so I agree with you that he's currently our best winger and needs to play.

I think Trez could be a better player but needs to get up to speed with the league. I reckon if he had spent a year in the Championship he would be a better player than Anwar is right now.

Jota for me looks like a very good championship player.

On 20/09/2019 at 16:31, KentVillan said:

Thank you. Bear in mind the people who believe in man-to-man marking across the pitch have all "played football at a high level", so be prepared for some backlash.

On your final point - I was actually wondering whether we should try El Ghazi as a striker. He is a good finisher off both feet, and he has a hunger to score goals. He scored 11 in 27 for Ajax in 2015-16. Maybe he just doesn't have the mentality or tactical instincts to do the job he's being asked to do.

Maybe try what juve do with mandzukic. El ghazi up front ala ronaldo and wesley out wide holding up the play against weaker full backs. 

• Like 1

On 20/09/2019 at 19:39, AVTuco said:

Anwar is currently our best winger, and the only one with any kind of wheels. He needs to play.

I think he's alright, but I am not sure he's our best winger. I'd easily play Trezeguet above him, and for possession games I'd probably play Jota above him as well.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Maybe try what juve do with mandzukic. El ghazi up front ala ronaldo and wesley out wide holding up the play against weaker full backs. 

At the very least it would be good to see the front 3 mix up their positions more - with Wesley and a winger swapping positions so he's receiving the long ball against a smaller full back, and then playing in our winger against a slower centre back.

9 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think he's alright, but I am not sure he's our best winger. I'd easily play Trezeguet above him, and for possession games I'd probably play Jota above him as well.

Being alright gets him the first prize in our current squad. .:)

On 20/09/2019 at 17:31, KentVillan said:

Thank you. Bear in mind the people who believe in man-to-man marking across the pitch have all "played football at a high level", so be prepared for some backlash.

On your final point - I was actually wondering whether we should try El Ghazi as a striker. He is a good finisher off both feet, and he has a hunger to score goals. He scored 11 in 27 for Ajax in 2015-16. Maybe he just doesn't have the mentality or tactical instincts to do the job he's being asked to do.

Where did I mention man-to-man marking aross the field? Its difficult to explain someting to a person who doesn't want to understand...And its always easy to ridicule what other people have done in their life before. Yes, I have played at a fairly high level, 1 season in the danish 1st division (2nd highest league) and several seasons in the danish 2nd division. Furthermore I have an A-level trainer license and have trained U-19's for more than 5 years....

In a 3 man midfield its difficult to cover from side to side, thats why if Jack moves to the left, McGinn and Nakamba moves in to cover for the open area Jack leaves beind and Jota covers for the area that McGinn leaves open, and vice versa thats why its called "side shifting" 

Maybe AEG sould have followed Noble, but the only way he an do that is if Jack had communicated with im as he came from a blind spot. If Jack doesnt say anyting, then Jack sould follow Noble.

58 minutes ago, Taxahunter said:

Where did I mention man-to-man marking aross the field? Its difficult to explain someting to a person who doesn't want to understand...And its always easy to ridicule what other people have done in their life before. Yes, I have played at a fairly high level, 1 season in the danish 1st division (2nd highest league) and several seasons in the danish 2nd division. Furthermore I have an A-level trainer license and have trained U-19's for more than 5 years....

In a 3 man midfield its difficult to cover from side to side, thats why if Jack moves to the left, McGinn and Nakamba moves in to cover for the open area Jack leaves beind and Jota covers for the area that McGinn leaves open, and vice versa thats why its called "side shifting" 

Maybe AEG sould have followed Noble, but the only way he an do that is if Jack had communicated with im as he came from a blind spot. If Jack doesnt say anyting, then Jack sould follow Noble.

I wasn't ridiculing your achievements, I was ridiculing the way you appealed to it as justification for what was essentially just a personal opinion dressed up as expert knowledge - but re-reading I realise it was someone else who brought it up first, so fine.

It's called "side shifting". I understand the concept of the midfield defensive bank shifting from side to side as a unit with the play. You're obviously right about the concept, but given that the shape was stretched by the switch pass, it was on the players to react contextually to what was happening.

Where did I mention man-to-man marking across the field? When you talked about a player's 90 min heat map being relevant to who should be tracking him in a particular passage of play. It's a bizarre thing to say otherwise? If a winger swaps wings for 5 mins do the two full backs swap wings? No - so how is the heatmap relevant?

In a 3 man midfield it's difficult to cover from side to side - it's not a 3-man midfield when we're defending deep. It switches from 4-3-3 to 4-1-4-1 or 4-5-1. (Having said that, watching now vs. Arsenal, we seem to be leaving our wingers higher for the counter attack.)

The only way he can do that is if Jack had communicated with him as he came from a blind spot - I think this is where we disagree on what we saw. Watch it back and IMO you see Noble run into AEG's line of sight, who has plenty of time to react, and decides to follow Noble, but without enough urgency to get goalside. That's why Mings goes mental.

15 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He was hit and miss in the Championship, obvious he'd struggle in the PL.

I'm 100% with you on this. 
I was surpised how many on here thought he'd step up in the Premier League. I've said it before but I can count his good performances in a Villa shirt on one hand. 

Trezeguet is a starter for me and it's a complete toss up as to who plays on the other wing.

• Like 1

Presume most people know this, but there's nothing wrong with him.

Game got tough, he didn't fancy it, pretended to be hurt.

Good job really, because Smith wouldn't have subbed him until likely 88 or 89 mins.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Presume most people know this, but there's nothing wrong with him.

Game got tough, he didn't fancy it, pretended to be hurt.

Good job really, because Smith wouldn't have subbed him until likely 88 or 89 mins.

He's an odd one and does come across as a regular jessie. What was the game - maybe a pre-season - when he got fouled toward the end, was screaming like he'd been set on fire leading many of us to think he'd got exploded ligaments or something and would be out for weeks or months and he was back in the starting line up next game? :crylaugh:

Said it all that he was so badly hurt he was able to go and sit on the bench and explain how the other player's sleeve had Chinese Burned his face.

• Like 1

Â