Pre Match Thread

VILLAMARV

Drop adomah, pack the midfield with energy, and get in amongst them. 

Nyland

RDL.                                   AXEL.                               CHESTER.                                 HUTTON

THOR                                       Hourihane                             Green

GREALISH.                     MCGINN

KODJIA

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm all for dropping the wingers out until we can get some loans in who provide us something different out wide. We also need to look at resting some players midweek.

Nyland

De Laet  Tuanzebe   Chester   Hutton

Whelan

Hourihane              McGinn

Grealish

Kodjia                 Green

For me Jedinak needs both a rest and dropping out of a position he cannot play. Tuanzebe can then play his natural position.

Rest Elmo and give De Laet a go in his natural position.

Rest Bjarnasson and bring Whelan in to do all of the dirty work and let Hourihan, McGinn and Grealish off the leash.

Green to come back in and play alongside or just behind Kodjia, he will provide some legs chasing down balls and let Kodjia do his thing on the ball.

• Like 4

Absolutely has to play Axel at CB. I know he has looked a tad suspect, but their MF is definitely creative enough to feed their Strikers in behind our centre halves so having pace to recover is essential.

If Jedinak plays, he will be forced to sit extremely deep so as to not get caught for pace, which in turns makes our MF sit deep, which in turn fuels the hoof ball tactic as the gap between MF and CF is too large. 

I'm actually dreading this game and can see us getting battered 4 nil. Thought Brentford looked sublime watching them on Sunday. 

5 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I'm all for dropping the wingers out until we can get some loans in who provide us something different out wide. We also need to look at resting some players midweek.

Nyland

Whelan

Grealish

For me Jedinak needs both a rest and dropping out of a position he cannot play. Tuanzebe can then play his natural position.

Rest Bjarnasson and bring Whelan in to do all of the dirty work and let Hourihan, McGinn and Grealish off the leash.

Green to come back in and play alongside or just behind Kodjia, he will provide some legs chasing down balls and let Kodjia do his thing on the ball.

Spot on. If RHM is fit.. wouldnt mind him starting ahead of Green. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Nyland

Whelan

Grealish

I'd really like this.

14 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd like to see

--------------------Nyland

Elmo, Tuanzebe, Chester, Hutton

-------------------Jedinak

-------------McGinn Grealish

Adomah ----------------------------Green

--------------------Kodjia

But that's a big risk with Axel at CB, depending on whether he's any good or not.

This is what I want to see too

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd like to see

But that's a big risk with Axel at CB, depending on whether he's any good or not.

Tell you what, with those four supplying balls into box I would like to see Hogan as opposed to Mr Greedy. They all like a runner in front of them and Hogan does make good runs, like he did for Brentford. 

Coming down for this one, don't let me down Villa

1 hour ago, LancsVillan said:

Tell you what, with those four supplying balls into box I would like to see Hogan as opposed to Mr Greedy. They all like a runner in front of them and Hogan does make good runs, like he did for Brentford. 

Hogan is dreadful. 

10 hours ago, wilko154 said:

Nyland

Whelan

Grealish

In principle I like this (but I'd swap Grealish and Hourihane). 

In reality though we only ever score from crosses and set pieces so I fear for how turgid we would be without any wingers at all. 

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd like to see

Id hazard a guess thats the team Bruce would like to field but doesn’t currently have faith in RDL or Adomah on the right so goes for Axel and Elmo out of position.

I reckon by the end of the window our team could be something like the one you suggests do but with Adomah and Axel both replaced by new signings. Potentially Hutton too.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

2 hours ago, LancsVillan said:

Think you may be disappointed as Hogan is out injured for the foreseeable future 

50 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Id hazard a guess thats the team Bruce would like to field but doesn’t currently have faith in RDL or Adomah on the right so goes for Axel and Elmo out of position.

I reckon by the end of the window our team could be something like the one you suggests do but with Adomah and Axel both replaced by new signings. Potentially Hutton too.

I'm not Hutton's biggest fan, but he's perfectly good enough to carry on at left back. People like to slate Bruce for playing him "out of position", but he showed last season that he's arguably better at LB than he is at RB.
I think Hutton at LB with Taylor as back up, plus the ability of others such as RDL and Elmo to play there out of position in emergencies is fine for the LB position.

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm not Hutton's biggest fan, but he's perfectly good enough to carry on at left back. People like to slate Bruce for playing him "out of position", but he showed last season that he's arguably better at LB than he is at RB.
I think Hutton at LB with Taylor as back up, plus the ability of others such as RDL and Elmo to play there out of position in emergencies is fine for the LB position.

I’ve got no problem with Hutton playing there but it would be good to have a natural left back. 

We haven’t had a proper decent left back since Bouma.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ve got no problem with Hutton playing there but it would be good to have a natural left back. 

We haven’t had a proper decent left back since Bouma.

I think Bryan was obviously the main target for LB so I doubt we'll see anyone else come in.

But yeah I agree, seems like forever since we had a decent LB

5th play 4th. We haven't beaten Brentford since season 1946/47 when we did so at home and  away. We have admittedly only played them six times since then but four of those games were in the last two seasons and it's high time we beat them again. On the positive side they have never won at Villa Park (we have won 2 and drawn the other 4). Three points are needed after dropping 2 points at Ipswich last time out so let's do it! The two home games that we did win were 5-2 & 5-0 victories. Would another five-for be asking too much?;)

• Like 2

Guys guys relax. This is my first attendance in about 4 years and I’m obviously some kind of luck talisman. England won the penalties because I sat in the garden and not watched them. Villa have obviously been crap as I haven’t been as regularly in recent years. 

8-0 Villa coming up.

• Thanks 1