• Grealish
    • Kodjia
    • Green (Tuanzebe 64)
    • Hourihane (Bjarnason 64)
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Adomah 78)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 22/08/18 at 18:45

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I want Bruce out of my club.  If the new owners cant see we are going nowhere with him in charge then they can f**k off too.

We dont need their money.

Give me a manager with a brain and a group of average players with heart, even if it mean relegation, so long as we weretrying yo play decent football, it wpuld be better than this.

1. We do need their money. 

2. You want us to get relegated playing more attractive football which will leave us needing more investment to get promoted again. Please see point 1

• Like 1

Jedinak is not a defender. He is  defensive midfielder. Bikir is not  a defensive midfielder. Jedinak or Whelan are. 

We have 4 right backs on the books in Elmo, Hutton, De Laet and Bree and he plays a defensive midfielder in that position. And Elmo is not a winger. 

I can sort of understand Hutton is ahead of Taylor, our only left back, because he is on poor form. The best of the decisions seem baffling imo.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Just back from Portman Rd. Had Kodja scored rather than hitting the bar we’d be 2 points better off. However second half we were too pedestrian, too predictable and all too often we bypassed our midfield.

The keeper is a worry, the defence appeared to have no faith in him whatsoever. We need a left back to add balance to the team. Thor was too slow today, on reflection Whelan would’ve been a better option. Green is massively overrated - he’s too easy to mark.

Make no mistake the current squad under Bruce will not get us up, we either add quality and quickly or we appoint someone who can get this team playing more positively.

I’m not sure which is the best option to take but after nearly 2 seasons I’m struggling to keep defending Bruce for a performance like today.

If Thor is too slow, it’s unlikely that Whelan is the answer.  

But I agree we were too pedestrian and too predictable   

Edited by srsmithusa
  • Like 1

Multiple occasions we had possession at the back under no pressure against 10men and jedinak would just boot the ball up to absolutely no one. If we had a manager with a clear system and philosophy who played players in position I have no doubt we would breeze this league like wolves last season. Majority of the time we just look clueless. Until we get that certain manager then we are just relying on some quality by the likes of people like grealish, mcginn, kodjia to win matches.  Very frustrating.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

If Thor is too slow, it’s unlikely that Whelan is the answer.  

But I agree we were too pedestrian and too predictable   

Thor was slow in possession- got caught on the ball. Whelan, although slow, doesn’t get caught on the ball as often as Thor.

Bruce is the problem, the coaching appears non existent. It might be a happy camp (and that did need fixing), and we have the talent but simply don’t play as a team or in any pattern.

As has been pointed out many times, after two seasons, on the pitch we have no identity. Possession is awful, creating chances is poor, we have no pace or attack as a weapon, and when used against us the wheels fall off.

Give the keepers a chance.

16 hours ago, jackbauer24 said:

I'm not going to vote as I didn't watch the game. And my view is formed purely on following the match thread and seeing the line up.

What does Bruce expect when he plays half the team out of position? What does he expect when we have such a defensive line up? What does he expect when he doesn't make any changes? 

Nyland might be awful but there's still no excuse not to have beaten a poor team with 10 men for 50 minutes. None. We don't need a defensive midfielder and we don't need to have only one up front.

Nyland

Hutton Chester Tuanzebe Elmo

Green McGinn Hourihane Adomah

Grealish

Kodjia

I don't have any coaching badges and yet I bet if we had a vote between my line up and Bruce's that mine would win easy. Energy and pace in midfield, players playing in the right positions, youth, set up to win. It's not hard to see where Bruce is going wrong.

Not going up with Bruce.

You sure about that? ;)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Load of **** shite.

Plan A. Work the channels, hit the big man, fight for the second ball.

Plan B...

What are these plans which you speak of? 

12 hours ago, decamoto said:

1. We do need their money. 

2. You want us to get relegated playing more attractive football which will leave us needing more investment to get promoted again. Please see point 1

i really couldnt care less what level we play at as long as we play good football.  2 years into his tenure and nothing has changed.

its clear the players have no clue what they should be doing and are not being properly coached.

i doubt anyone would argue that this villa team is far better than the ipswich team we faced today.  but for some reason, their players had composure, decent first touch and were organised.  Villa on the other hand looked lost, had poor c9ntrol and could barely string 2 passes together.  the difference? The villa manager does have a plan to impose a style of football and the ipswich manager does.  COACHING is all this team needs, and Bruce is NOT a coach, he is a man manager.  fair play to him, he sorted the bad atmosphere, and i thank him for that- but its time to push on and start creating a footballing identity at the club and Bruce is clearly incapable of this, so needs to go.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Robbie09 said:

Thor was slow in possession- got caught on the ball. Whelan, although slow, doesn’t get caught on the ball as often as Thor.

Thanks for clarifying.  Now I understand your point, and while I agree that Thor held possession too long, I thought it was because he was not given options.  Actually, nearly everyone in a villa kit held the ball too long at times, for the same reason.  (IMO). McGinn is the only one that constantly shows for an early pass.  I fear we will break him of that habit before it becomes contagious.  

Pretty much the usual serving.

It is what it is, same positives and negatives as always.

McGinn the only joker so far but I imagine he'll soon fall into line.

As convinced as ever that Bruce is a wet blanked holding the players back rather than molding then into a functioning unit.

• Like 1

On ‎19‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 02:01, Nigel said:

For those wondering why we need a new left back see this game.  Hutton is fine at defending, and this would be fantastic if we were aiming for a top half finish. However we are not, we are trying to win as many games as possible.  Games like this need another avenue of attack, an overlap with pace and another dangerous outlet.

Is this result his fault, no, did he play badly, again no.  Hes just symptomatic of the tactics we employ...safety first!

If we want to get out of here automatically we need to take the shackles off!

same goes for Tuanzebe at right back for that matter

• Like 1

Anyone else fearing what Brentford are going to do to us? We've all spoken about what will happen against a team that are organised but play good football. It happens Wednesday the last 2 seasons we've managed nothing better than a draw against these, hell last season at our place they'd just lost a large number of there better players but they still came to Villa park and outplayed us and the game ended a draw.

I'd actually love a manager like Dean Smith as he actually seems like a bloke that likes his teams to play to a certain phylosophy and style.

Bruce just doesn't seem to get it there's no brand of football , hell even under Houllier we tried to play a certain way , I'm sort of expecting us to play with a bit of swagger like teams SHOULD be fearing us but lets be honest NO one should fear us the way we're currently playing. Everyone points to Grealish its like the lad has all these expectations shoved on his shoulders from all of us but it shouldn't always be about Grealish we've got 10 other players on the pitch it's about time some other bugger helped out. 

We're crying out for fresh blood please make it so. Don't get me wrong playing players in there preferred positions would be a step in the right direction.

The thing for me is like heads you lose tails you lose.

let me give you an example.

paul hurst told ipswich at haf time.....get in to them and don't be afraid of the names on the shirts.

now on a contrasting level....we are afraid of Brentford due to so many previous meetings.....what are we going to do?

settle for the status quo.....or just allow them to do, what they do.

14 hours ago, TRO said:

The thing for me is like heads you lose tails you lose.

let me give you an example.

paul hurst told ipswich at haf time.....get in to them and don't be afraid of the names on the shirts.

now on a contrasting level....we are afraid of Brentford due to so many previous meetings.....what are we going to do?

settle for the status quo.....or just allow them to do, what they do.

I don't get what you're saying in this post TRO. Would you be so kind as to elaborate or rephrase?

The way I see it is we should look at where Brentford have made us come undone and seek to rectify it. Also look to identify any noticeable strengths and weaknesses of their recent outings.

Then have the drills at training tailored to tactics that are appropriate given what we perceive their approach to be. If it's not working at HT, we make the appropriate changes.

50 minutes ago, A'Villan said:

I don't get what you're saying in this post TRO. Would you be so kind as to elaborate or rephrase?

The way I see it is we should look at where Brentford have made us come undone and seek to rectify it. Also look to identify any noticeable strengths and weaknesses of their recent outings.

Then have the drills at training tailored to tactics that are appropriate given what we perceive their approach to be. If it's not working at HT, we make the appropriate changes.

I will attempt to make is clearer.

Ipswich was the underdogs against us, even though they were at home....hence Paul Hurst's comments to them.....and they fought like warriors.

Due to the last 4 meetings we will possibly, be the underdogs.....are we going to fight like Warriors?

IMO ( to try and keep it simple)they move the ball much quicker that us in previous meetings and it causes us all sorts of problems.....we are simply too slow at that.

• Thanks 1

Â