Match Thread: Yeovil v Villa

limpid

Just now, MrSmirch said:

1 decent chance created in a half against Yeovil? The Murphy miss hit. Not good enough.

Yup. Whereas they've had a 1 on 1 (I'd have Elphick right off at HT) , and a goal very, very harshly ruled out.

They're the better team. Unbelievable. 

• Like 1

Hmm.  A lot of overreactions on here I think considering the nature of the game and the side we have out - yes we should absolutely still be beating Yeovil but it's very early in the season and not a group of players who are used to playing together.

Tommy Elphick is poor, though.

Adomah is a little bit frustrating but I'm not sure if it's because of him or tactics - there are times it seems he would be much better stretching their defence and hugging the touchline but he keeps coming inside to around the corner of the 18 yard box.  Possibly so he's there to support RHM and/or as an additional goal threat for the ball going into the box, but we're (rightly) not swinging a lot in there so I'd rather see him stay all the way out wide and create space.

I'm not as convinced on Doyle-Hayes yet as a few seemed to be during pre-season.  Not writing him off at all as he's still young, but I haven't seen anything special from my perspective yet.

• Like 3

I'm not sure Yeovil would start many of the Villa youngsters if they had them on loan. No surprises that our second string is struggling against their first team. 

1 minute ago, Czechlad said:

Conor is looking like he doesn't want to be playing so I'd take him off. 

Doyle Hayes has been poor so I'd consider taking him off. 

Adomah has had two flashes, but outside of that, has been invisible all half. 

Whelan's passing has been horrible so I'd consider taking him off. 

Take your pick honestly.

I think Whelan make Doyle push too forward when Doyle is effective in sit midfield and pass around and better defend. that why I think best Whelan and Houricane get off.

2 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Conor is looking like he doesn't want to be playing so I'd take him off. 

Doyle Hayes has been poor so I'd consider taking him off. 

Adomah has had two flashes, but outside of that, has been invisible all half. 

Whelan's passing has been horrible so I'd consider taking him off. 

Take your pick honestly.

Agree. Elphick can go too. If launches one more ball up in the air.....

Positives?

We now know that Bruce made the right call in not starting Axel at CB and not starting Hourihane on Sat. (Which is what everyone was crying for)

Also, as much as I dont rate him, Elmo looks better than Adomah on that wing.

Just now, YLN said:

I'm not sure Yeovil would start many of the Villa youngsters if they had them on loan. No surprises that our second string is struggling against their first team. 

I wouldn't call Hourihane, Adoma, Elphick, Taylor or Whelan second string. They'll be regular first teamers, and this is the shit they're putting out. 

Awful

Once again we play a striker who is quick and skilful with a ball at his feet yet boot balls long to him for the duration of the game.

The midfield is woeful and getting outplayed by a league 2 team. Hourihane looks as though he's not quite sure which team he's playing for and so passing to both just in case.

Elphick looks like he's never played football before, I honestly think Tuanzebe is coaching him through the game instead of the other way around.

Adomah looks about as interested as he did at the end of the season.

We are going to need to put Grealish or McGinn on to sort this mess out

Christ

Just now, andym said:

this is what its always going to be like under Bruce. 

Yup. He’s unable to motivate a team to play flowing football. Hell, his lump it approach doesn’t work, his defensive shape work isn’t working and he doesn’t seem to be a motivator.

i understand that we’re two for two in the league but nobody can say that these performances are not warning signs. 

Bruce: dynamic he ain’t. 

Really poor half that. 

Hourihane should be dominating games like this - it's a chance for him to look a class apart - for him to play the way Grealish does in championship games - loads of the ball, always trying to get on it and create - he's done half of nothing and looked completely disinterested.

Adomah has been non-existent too - he's got to know he's playing for the opportunity to play games this season surely? It's well known we're in the market for a loan winger - playing well here could be the difference between the bench and the left wing spot - but again, there's nothing, no urgency, no desire.

It's just a very poor effort - I don't think you can blame the kids - there's just no invention in this team - there are lots of water carrier and no pianists.

• Like 1