• Green
    • Adomah
    • Hepburn-Murphy
    • Grealish (Doyle-Hayes 57)
    • Kodjia (Hepburn-Murphy 58)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 18/08/18 at 14:00

That was a tough watch.

Not ideal being a reserve or youth team player being thrown into a game like this with wholesale changes, where the underdog home team are clearly up for it and looking to cause an upset, but disappointed a few more players didn't rise the challenge and put their hands up to get in the senior team.

General sloppiness and the inability to make simple passes particularly frustrating.

Think we were definitely lucky to get their goal ruled out, but this was evened out by the referee not giving us a penalty for the player who dived in front of Hourihane's shot.

Credit to Moreira for saving the penalty and doing enough to prevent their striker scoring from the 1 on 1 but he was far from convincing. Tried to be a bit cute with his kicking at times which nearly cost us.

Bringing on Grealish and Kodjia changed the game and thankfully it was enough. Although it would have nice to rest them, it certainly beats being knocked out and humiliated on live TV.

• Like 2

So, I think Teflon Steve said we played too slowly in the first half.  So.... why do many of these same players play fast, aggressive, and with lots of movement when they play for our u-23’s  

lets see... nerves? Older oppointments?  Sky fright?  Bad pregame meal?   Probably a different manager in charge made no difference at all

well thankfully SB could see the problem so at least we can be confident he will fix it for next match.   Whew!   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

Another three points so it’s hard to believe that anyone is being even slightly critical although happy with the win...

tenor.gif?itemid=5263684

You know we don't get any points for a cup game, yes?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Anyone who thinks we can sneak into the top 6 with Elphick as Terry's replacement is sadly mistaken.

We are a weaker side than last year, where we finished 4th, and therefore it seems absurd to think we can do as well with the current squad.

CB, GK and ST are huge postional problems for us and unless we make some seriously good loan signings asap, we won't be doing much this season.

This isn't a reflection only on the game just played but in general. Tonight just showed how weak the squad is.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

I am out of likes but yeah this would be nice. Bruce has got a lot right and improved us hugely since he arrived. But a better play style would serve us well I think. We dont have the legs or players this season for a fast long ball game anyway. Might as well try a short passing approach. I think bruce might be pleasantly surprised.

In that case nd given Bruce's clear and apparent inability to sort it out, if the decision has been made to keep him, then we should help him with the appointment of some talented coaches to take some of that burden out of his hands. The team selection last night was spot on, aside from Whelan, could have just had Doyle-Hayes there and had a four in front of him. What was so wrong was the fact that they had no idea where to go, what to do when they received the ball, what the other players around them were going to do when they had received the ball in a certain area. So the ball naturally goes to where the space is, wide at the back, and has nowhere to go from there and it gets smacked at the tall imposing 5'1" striker, who, without binoculars, cannot see another claret and blue shirt.

No point in getting the names on the sheet right if you don't prepare the game properly, we sent out 11 individuals, Yoevil sent out a football team and were really unlucky not to have won.

• Thanks 1

Going into this game there was a few things that I wanted to see albeit wasn't able to watch the game so using this thread as gospel:

• Win                                                                   ✅
  • Tuanzebe play CB                                          ✅
  • youngsters/ fringe players game time       ✅
  • rest key player                                                ✅   and    ❎    both Jack and Kodj were needed to come on, although leaning to a tick as Kodj may have gotten some confidence from his display
  • no injuries                                                       ✅
  • De Laet play at RB                                         ✅                  

Not too fussed about anything else, I think bringing in a new LB and striker by the end of the loan window and potentially a new winger are high on Steve's priority

• Like 1

4 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

So, I think Teflon Steve said we played too slowly in the first half.  So.... why do many of these same players play fast, aggressive, and with lots of movement when they play for our u-23’s  

lets see... nerves? Older oppointments?  Sky fright?  Bad pregame meal?   Probably a different manager in charge made no difference at all

well thankfully SB could see the problem so at least we can be confident he will fix it for next match.   Whew!   

Wasn’t it only Doyle-Hayes that was from the U23 team in the starting XI? RHM is in the senior squad now, as is Green I think. The new keeper is youngish I suppose, are you counting him?

9 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Keeper - Liability / Rubbish 

Taylor - Rubbish 

Tuanzebe - Really Rubbish

Elphick - Rubbish

De last - Ok

Whelan - Old and Rubbish

Hourihane - Scored but Rubbish

Doyle Hayes - Young but Rubbish

Adomah - Been Rubbish for 6 months

Green - Lively

Hepburn Murphy - Felt sorry for him 

Grealish - Brilliant

Kodjia - Starting to think he’s better suited out wide

The referee - Rubbish. 

you left out the Manager, but i have a feeling it might be rubbish. ?

8 hours ago, terrytini said:

Well Wuppy do.

Absolutely... Nemanja Vidic should have been sent off in the 2010 final, but he wasn't. Sometimes, it doesn't matter what the oppo manager thinks, it's what actually happens that is all the more important.

Certainly not a classic... and we are yet to play a 'good' performance this season, but it's another win. Hopefully the run continues this Saturday at Portman Road.

The keeper gave me a few scares to be honest, but was thrilled for him, and our travelling fans that he saved the penalty. Good to see some positive input from Tuanzebe at CB. Highlight of the match for me, was the celebration of the Yeovil player, having the brazen temerity to perform the 'loser's jig' dance from the Fortnite game right into the crowd of Villa supporters... only then to have his effort ruled out. PMSL... after clearly trying to incite a riot, he succeeded only in mugging himself off. Trollolololololol. Actually... LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!! LOL. And LOL again.

And for all of our wonderful travelling support, how on earth could you give them the chance to sing 'Sing when you're winning...' etc... ??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

Wasn’t it only Doyle-Hayes that was from the U23 team in the starting XI? RHM is in the senior squad now, as is Green I think. The new keeper is youngish I suppose, are you counting him?

RHM, Doyle-hayes and Green all played for the u23s last season and played in a much more positive manner than today.  havent seen any u23 games this season so cant comment.  but they are creative and attacking players when played in a system that gives them the freedom to do so.  the first team doesnt use such a system

• Like 1

Just now, flashingqwerty said:

RHM, Doyle-hayes and Green all played for the u23s last season and played in a much more positive manner than today.  havent seen any u23 games this season so cant comment.  but they are creative and attacking players when played in a system that gives them the freedom to do so.  the first team doesnt use such a system

Green and RHM are senior players now, involved in the first team. 

Perhaps the U23 team played U23 opposition? That could explain the disparity between performances? 

That was Yeovil’s cup final and we won. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Green and RHM are senior players now, involved in the first team. 

Perhaps the U23 team played U23 opposition? That could explain the disparity between performances? 

That was Yeovil’s cup final and we won. 

id imagine the vast majority of the opposition the u23 team face would comfortably compete and beat yeovil tbh.

quality of opposition aside, the u23 play a different formation, play a shorter less direct passing game and tend to focus and getting the ball in to feet or getting to the byline.  they in no way play the kind of football we see from the first team week in week out.

part of the first tean rhm and green may be, but unsuitable for the way the first team plays they still are, and without a change of tactics, our youth are wasted in the first team.

3 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

id imagine the vast majority of the opposition the u23 team face would comfortably compete and beat yeovil tbh.

quality of opposition aside, the u23 play a different formation, play a shorter less direct passing game and tend to focus and getting the ball in to feet or getting to the byline.  they in no way play the kind of football we see from the first team week in week out.

part of the first tean rhm and green may be, but unsuitable for the way the first team plays they still are, and without a change of tactics, our youth are wasted in the first team.

I don't think so, I think most teams including our own would have been blown away with the moderate pace, intensity and desire of Yeovil's players the first 20 minutes.

Not that Yeovil were anything special.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, meregreen said:

Worrying that our performances are so poor, even if our results aren’t. If the former does not improve, then over time, we will start to lose games.

its doesn't really work like that, although it can appear too.

you lose games when the opposition usually play better than you.

If we keep playing teams like we have played, we will keep winning.

On 16/08/2018 at 02:51, TRO said:

its doesn't really work like that, although it can appear too.

you lose games when the opposition usually play better than you.

If we keep playing teams like we have played, we will keep winning.

I don't know TRO, whilst I know where you're coming from, I think he has a point. Even based on what you say, we've been fortunate.

We were very fortunate not concede against Yeovil, and Hull were by far the better side first half of that fixture.

Wigan, we deservedly won, but being the standalone performance where we were on an even keel with the opposition, if not better than.

16 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I don't know TRO, whilst I know where you're coming from, I think he has a point. Even based on what you say, we've been fortunate.

We were very fortunate not concede against Yeovil, and Hull were by far the better side first half of that fixture.

Wigan, we deservedly won, but being the standalone performance where we were on an even keel with the opposition, if not better than.

no one can deny, the football has been poor.

Â