Pre Match Thread

theboyangel

Doyle Hayes is more than ready to start tomorrow. Held his own and was impressive when we played wigan in the cup around this time last year. Looks a player. Bruce has a choice. Play him tomorrow , he impresses and makes the match day squad for league football  . Worse case scenario, he plays , isn't quite up to it and we loan him out before end of August. Can't let him play u23 football for another year. A waste.

4 hours ago, jamesbuchanan said:

Lansbury won't be playing, his partner gave birth today.

The absolute state of the world today and the pathetic, cossetted softness people live in. In the good old days he'd be in the squad ready to play, his missus and the bairn would be in the crowd, both drinking Bovril and eating a pie, and the kid would be coining it in up chimneys in five years from now.

As for the squad I'd pick, if Mr Maternity Leave Man Bun won't play, I'd pick all the right backs and goalies we have - plus Huttinho at LB - to form the defence and MF, with Adomah, RHM and Kodija up front. It would be a selection process. If Kodija can't score against these with that team bringing it up behind him, he needs pensioning off.

They've changed the rules this season... I understand that there is no extra time period. After 90 minutes (plus Bjarnason* time of course), if the game is a draw, it goes straight to the joyload of penalty kicks.

*spelling disclaimer

Personally, I am in the 'winning breeds winning' and confidence camp. None of this 'I don't care if we lose' nonsense. We may not get to Wembley in this competition, but wouldn't it be great to get one of the big boys at Villa Park under the lights and make some money?? Imagine plucky little Aston Villa against one of the Sky 6... Sky always have a circle jerk over underdogs... ??

Like too win it tonight, 4;1 would bring me a few quid. I am at work on the late shift, so cant cash out

Realistically we aren't going to win the cup, so not really bothered 

The league is far more important don't risk any players needed for Saturday

1 hour ago, Raver50032 said:

They've changed the rules this season... I understand that there is no extra time period. After 90 minutes (plus Bjarnason* time of course), if the game is a draw, it goes straight to the joyload of penalty kicks.

*spelling disclaimer

Personally, I am in the 'winning breeds winning' and confidence camp. None of this 'I don't care if we lose' nonsense. We may not get to Wembley in this competition, but wouldn't it be great to get one of the big boys at Villa Park under the lights and make some money?? Imagine plucky little Aston Villa against one of the Sky 6... Sky always have a circle jerk over underdogs... ??

Yellow cards only count in the League Cup too apparently. They wont count towards any accumulative ban involving other cup/league games.

• Like 1

All about mixing the youth with the first team tonight, along with getting some confidence back in some players.

If players can't manage two games in a week in the second week of the season they don't deserve to be professional footballers.

Nyland

Bree     Tuanzebe   Chester    Taylor

Whelan

De Laet   Doyle-Hayes  Grealish  Adomah

Kodjia

Bench: Moreira, Suliman, Hutton, Hourihane, McGinn, Blackett-Taylor, Hepburn-Murphy

Players needing some confidence for me are Nyland, Taylor, Adomah and Kodjia. If we can get Adomah and Kodjia back in form it's a major boost in front of goal going forward this season.

Tuanzebe and Chester need to be played together and in front of Nyland, its a partnership we need to start trying to make work after Satuday's horror show.

Second half look at where we are and potentially give Suliman, Blackett-Taylor and Hepburn-Murphy some game time.

3 hours ago, villan-scott said:

Judging by Instagram posts from the players, it seems a pretty much full strength squad has travelled. Kodjia, Chester, Grealish, Whelan, Tuanzebe and McGinn all spotted. 

Blimey - Wouldn't have Grealish anywhere near this.

• Like 4

This cup has brought us a lot of joy in the past but promotion is what matters now so we should try to rest our starters tonight for the league games that will be coming thick and fast afterwards. Play the kids and the players who have not started the last two and who are unlikely to start the next couple of games. They should still be good enough to get us through tonight and those playing should relish the opportunity that this game can give them to impress. They will be wearing the shirt, playing in front of a large television audience and that should be enough to make them want to give of their very best. The cup itself will not be ours to win just now but when we do go out it should be with our heads held high against better placed opposition than we currently are. We don't probably want to go too far though look at how Bristol City imploded after they reached the last four last season for example. A nice comfortable 3-1 win would be nice for tonight with some of our youngsters having impressive games.

Edited by John
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, John said:

We don't probably want to go too far though look at how Bristol City imploded after they reached the last four last season for example. 

They imploded after coming up against the mighty Villa on NYD.

• Like 1

starts for doyle hayes, the other keeper, RHM,  and Bree please. After that I don't care too much, but I'd like to see younger players get their chance.

Win would be good for momentum so perhaps don't need to go overboard in changes, as I do subscribe to momentum, plus an extra game to work on gelling the players can't hurt.