Which is more deadly (aspirin vs XTC)

Gringo

Which is more deadly  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more deadly

• Aspirin
    • Ecstasy

XTC is an unknown quantity, and as BOF rightly pointed out, you never know exactly what you're getting. My suspicion is that it will turn out to be no more and no less dangerous than alcohol - but that's not saying much, alcohol has some pretty nasty side effects, up to and including death. Human beings have alway had a propensity for experimentation with mind-altering substances - I don't think this will ever change - but we each have to decide where we draw the line.

The aspirin overdose/suicide argument is specious - that's like saying XTC is safer than a tall building.

WARNING: this may appear as if i am rambling through a drug fuelled hallucination in fact i don't need drugs.

This is a very sensible argument; for thousands of years we have experimented with different drugs, the type chosen was largely dependent on location. Here in the UK we have a long history of abusing alcohol- not having ready access to some of the other naturally occurring mind altering chemicals like magic mushrooms, salvia, THAT cactus etc etc... The UK then decided to take over the world, and as alcohol was generally accepted we came back with newly discovered drugs like cocaine and these were accepted with arms wide open, for a while- then banned. Alcohol is deeply rooted into the history we have created and the vast majority of the population loves a drink so public uproar would follow it's banning.

This being said Alcohol in itself is a particularly harmful drug, whilst detoxing from alcohol serious care is needed. People are not advised to detox at home if they live alone or are likely to spend periods of time alone. People requiring an alcohol detox will generally use (be prescribed) benzodiazepines to surpress the brain to prevent often fatal seizures. Heroin detoxification does not have these restrictions- a bit of pain (and sleeplessness, alternating body temperatures etc- Not advising it still VERY difficult)

Do we really want to give out the message that another drug is potentially safe by allowing the police to say this- Alcohol is a very widely used substance throughout society BUT i would wager that pills is restricted mostly to the rave/dnb scenes- You probably wouldnt pop a couple of pills before a night in flares/reflex/fab n fresh but would use alcohol. It is best to stop ecstasy from being thought of as safe and spreading.

The argument here should not be about the potential danger of the drug on an individual basis but for society as a whole. We have a responsibility to protect people- and probably encourage the safe, responsible use of alcohol rather than irresponsible use of drugs as a way to escape from our lives- are they really that bad?

FWIW- i like a drink as much as the next person and the above mentioned is merely my opinion and should be treated as such.

Â