Which is more deadly (aspirin vs XTC)

Gringo

Which is more deadly  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more deadly

• Aspirin
    • Ecstasy

Most of the aspirin related deaths are due to deliberate overdose.

That was my first thought when I read this, no-one deliberately overdoses on ecstasy, or I wouldn't have thought so, I imagine accidental deaths from ecstasy are far higher than accidental deaths from asprin.

Don't know anything about the dangers of aspirin, but its a crazy situation when alcohol is legal in this country and lsd and ecstasy illegal.

Alcohol is FAR more dangerous and addictive than both. But they are not 'socially acceptable'.

BOF - not sure of your definition of 'mind-altering' but I find alcohol to be as mind-altering as any other drug I have tried (not that many admittedly)

Regulation is potential solution, but a potential nightmare too.

Its rocky ground, you have to look at long term aspirin use too as many deaths come from the over use of aspirin and not just overdosing. People use aspirin on a daily basis more than once a day, my mum is pretty ill and she takes it all the time so is more exposed to its problems.

So this will distort the figures, you don't take an E every day!

Still the drug debate rages on, and more money is wasted combating the relatively harmless side of drug culture when the harmful drugs are still readily available and getting stronger.

I'm with rev - I got told to avoid aspirin years ago.

No, i genuinely am alergic to it.

I found out the hard way too. Took a couple for a headache, ended up at hospital!

BOF - not sure of your definition of 'mind-altering' but I find alcohol to be as mind-altering as any other drug I have tried (not that many admittedly)

A more severe definition than that experienced through alcohol.

Is ecstasy harmful to some people and not others?

To different degrees, to body and/or mind.

Same as the other drugs - legal or otherwise.

Everyone's different.

Most of my (ex) pill head mates are getting by, paying mortgages, running businesses, dropping sprogs, etc etc...

Still waiting for the sting in the ecstasy tail.

Possible early onset of alzeimers reckons my medical other half.

We'll see.

Possible early onset of alzeimers reckons my medical other half.

Which will conveniently not be definitively traceable back to ecstasy, just 'assumed'.

Apologies snowy, missed this

Also, what are the stats on the ratio of deaths to users and whether the deaths are accidental?

DYOR - how the heck would I know - do you think I hang around ER ;)

Gringo, no worries about missing it.

As far as your recreational activities go, I couldn't comment.

Though you could be a lawyer. :winkold:

What would drug dealers do if drugs were legalised? Find jobs and integrate within their tightly knit communities?!

That a point I often make when I hear the legalise drugs nonsense.

[sarcasm]

Personally I think all drug dealers would become missionaries in the south pacific spreading the word of the lord, praise Jesus! Can I get an Amen? [/sarcasm]

Aspirin doesn't make you depressed for a week after taking it, XTC IS baaaaaad mkay?

I bet you a lot more people had a day off this week due to drink than XTC ! You can get pills tested on the streets in Amsterdam for quality, no problems. People just jump on the anti-drugs band wagon because it's the easy argument, ban it, ban them, ban banning....etc.....it's all a bit sad.

There is a lot less wrong with XTC if you compare it too drinking or smoking, IMO.

Even if ecstacy was made legal it would be far too difficult and expensive to control properly. What would be the minimum age? Where would it be sold? How would the number sold to each individual be controlled? Would there be a maxiumum age? Would you need a medical examination first?

It is easier to leave it as it is. At least this way the number of takers is kept low.

Even if ecstacy was made legal it would be far too difficult and expensive to control properly. What would be the minimum age? Where would it be sold? How would the number sold to each individual be controlled? Would there be a maxiumum age? Would you need a medical examination first?

It is easier to leave it as it is. At least this way the number of takers is kept low.

All those questions and more were answered with drinking and smoking but because they can't see a way to earn out of it they can't be arsed, I suppose the down side is kids get shot on the streets because drugs priices are inflated by the law. Another reason they won't do it I suppose is that it will always justify tax rises to pay for the Police to catch people selling drugs that they set the price for....I think it's all a bit weird tbh.

Most people who die from ecstacy die due to drinking far to much water. It's not the drug itself that kills people more often than not. If you are with a good group of friends it is very unlikely anything will go wrong. If it does it's your own fault.

I think its a stupid question, the numbers are based on facts from america for Asperin and uk for XTC with the obvious population difference between the two, plus there are alot more people using asperin on a regular basis I would imagine, which means that the results will look alot further apart... Drugs are bad mmkay!

Why is a substance which makes you feel good and makes your outlook on those around you much more favourable be seen in such a negative light.

It can't be a safety issue because the problems associated with it aren't experienced in the vast majority of individuals who take it.

On a more genral point why do we expect to have "stuff" banned or made illegal or at the very least made to look bad by the establishment.

Why can't this "stuff" be produced in a regulated manner, have the populous educated in its recommended use (include instructions) and let us live like grown-ups.........

People use substances every day (alcohol, nicotine, caffine, etc... even recreational "banned" drugs) but are still able to hold down a job, pay taxes and contribute to society.

Is it an issue of state control? or do we not want to grow up?

Why is a substance which makes you feel good and makes your outlook on those around you much more favourable be seen in such a negative light.

It can't be a safety issue because the problems associated with it aren't experienced in the vast majority of individuals who take it.

On a more genral point why do we expect to have "stuff" banned or made illegal or at the very least made to look bad by the establishment.

Why can't this "stuff" be produced in a regulated manner, have the populous educated in its recommended use (include instructions) and let us live like grown-ups.........

The argument is that prolonged use of said drug can result in serious brain damage in the long term, as opposed to legal drugs giving you lung cancer...

The argument is that prolonged use of said drug can result in serious brain damage in the long term, as opposed to legal drugs giving you lung cancer...

:D Fair point - but if we know the risks why can't we make the decision?

Aspirin is arguably the wonder drug of the modern age - used properly it has saved countless lives. I know a couple of stroke survivors who take it daily. In fact my missus takes a quarter of a tablet a day as she has a slightly increased risk of heart disease after radiotherapy.

XTC is an unknown quantity, and as BOF rightly pointed out, you never know exactly what you're getting. My suspicion is that it will turn out to be no more and no less dangerous than alcohol - but that's not saying much, alcohol has some pretty nasty side effects, up to and including death. Human beings have alway had a propensity for experimentation with mind-altering substances - I don't think this will ever change - but we each have to decide where we draw the line.

The aspirin overdose/suicide argument is specious - that's like saying XTC is safer than a tall building.

Â