Which is more deadly (aspirin vs XTC)

Gringo

Which is more deadly  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more deadly

• Aspirin
    • Ecstasy

Distorts which facts?

More people use asprin, so more people die of it? Ali, you are the Doc - any stats you could call upon?

Lots of people use ecstasy. Some die. Lots of people use aspirin some die.

Without some real comparative stats, we are forever comparing chalk with cheese.

I don't have any stats to hand, I am just using common sense

1) aspirin is more readily available

2) More people use aspirin than ecstasy therefore more people are likely to suffer adverse effects from it

3) Most aspirin related deaths are probably intentional overdose

If I saw a person who came in with an ecstasy related cardiac problem (I;ve seen a couple) I wouldn't tell them its as safe as aspirin.

I'm with rev - I got told to avoid aspirin years ago (not an allegery but a stomach ulcer which my doc blamed on alcohol but which I knew was really down to the stress of moving from lager to bitter) but no doctor has ever told me to avoid ecstasy.

I don't have any stats to hand, I am just using common sense
I'm not challenging your opinion - just wondering if you could get hold of such information as there is little in the mainstream. I'm sure you see shit in your working life which colours your view of the subject. But has there been any research - is it a real valid topic?

I don't really know what you're trying to suggest though Gringo. Are you saying 1 aspirin tablet is more dangerous than 1 ecstasy tablet (to someone who is allergic to neither)?

clicky

a quick online journal search revelaed this paper as probably the closest study, but its one of those things that is hard to validate as most people who take ecstasy won't openly tell you they are taking it.

Not really trying to suggest anything (Trim help me out here) but i't a question raised by a senior police officer which has been rubbished in the popular press without being answered. Ali's "subjective" evidence gives us one viewpoint, but as we are all worldly scientists on here we can't merely accept one persons experience can we now?

Is ecstasy harmful to some people and not others?

Is clean ecstasy harmful at all?

Would a legitimate trade create clean ecstasy and destroy the brewers hold on binge friday?

The real question is are we legislating out of ignorance or out of circumstances?

clicky

a quick online journal search revelaed this paper as probably the closest study, but its one of those things that is hard to validate as most people who take ecstasy won't openly tell you they are taking it.

Cheers

Regardless of the short-term dangers of 'clean' ecstasy I think there is long-term damage regardless of how clean so, to me, it's a moot point, I wouldn't take it anyway.

MDMA's impact on the public health and safety of young adults and teenagers needs further assessment.

Which is what I think I'm driving at

Twenty-four (35%) DR deaths had a mean delay of 6.7 hours (95% CI = 5.1 to 8.2) in activating emergency medical services.

If the use was legiitimised, this would be reduced and surely some of these lives saved.

It is impossible to attribute death to ecstasy of people who have died years afterwards due to a related issue. I agree it probably needs further study. Most things do. But I imagine we'd just be confirming our suspicions. Just my opinion :)

Gee, thanks! :lol:
Apologies snowy, missed this

I'm assuming that DYOR means do your own research?

Also, what are the stats on the ratio of deaths to users and whether the deaths are accidental?

DYOR - how the heck would I know - do you think I hang around ER ;)

It is silly to compare stats on 2 drugs which are taken for completely different reasons. We must also compare an even number of takers. The stats show more Aspirin deaths because more people take it. Its like comparing deaths in car accidents to deaths in free-climbing.

On the other hand, Ecstacy would be safer if it was made legal and properly controlled. The little pillls can contain all manner of substances and so its is difficult to judge how dangerous an ecstacy pill really is with its contents being a constant.

Your first paragraph is quite apt - more people die each week in car accidents than die each year from dropping ecstasy. So why do we make such a fuss about it. Why not regulate, control and in effect reduce the deaths from the drug.

The only thing we gain from keeping it illegal is enhanced profits for drug dealers.

Â