• Grealish
    • Kodjia
    • Adomah (Tuanzebe 64)
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Green 73)
    • Hourihane (Kodjia 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/18 at 18:45

Bonus win for me. Was on way in taxi with wife plus in laws to aiya napa centre and said I would turn phone off when we got there. Sky sports said full time 2-2 so felt a bit deflated. Google alerted me some 2 hours later 3-2 thought it was a sick joke but after treble checking.... a win.

Can only put it down to us having another game soon for the team changes but wtf? 

Lesson to not play big jed in defence again and to trust axel if resting elphick.

Taylor is dog dirt for some reason but Hutton played great in the first game so why not leave him there ?

Biggest thing by far is 3 points, style of play does not get you promoted, points do.

Finished the night off with a happy ending with the wife.. if we wernt going back home I would say life doesn't get much better right now !!

Edited by brummybloke

6 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Got lucky today. In patches decent going forwards but a mess at the back. Why play 2 centre midfielders in defence? Elphick not starting was strange. We all know Jedinak is not a defender since his performance at Derby away last season. We badly need another central defender. And yes Taylor has not been good for a while but he is our only left back at present.  Bjarnason is not a defensive midfielder- bruce could have played 3 other players correctly in that position and didn't, was which baffling.  I also found it strange that our 2 top goal scorers from last season did not even start. And that essentially half the team today has had no or very little pre season so far at Villa due to being new signings or just coming back from the world cup. It is not a wonder we looked very disjointed.  Still a win is a win I suppose.

I sometimes think Bruce over compensates, and then goes back to the norm. I think in pre season he said that he should have rotated the team more last year- so today he names half a new side from the match at Hull.  I suspect he will find his first XI and then stick to it once we get a few more in before the end of the month.

Moving fowards our defense need additions. And Nyland does not fill me with confidence unless that was first night nerves. Kodja has still to look like the player he was before he got injured about a year and a half ago, so we need another forward as well please Brucey.

Elphick is awful. Free header goal last week didn't gloss over how terrible he was. Jedi managed to fill in for Terry last season when we won 3 in a row and didn't concede a goal. Not saying he's great but Elphick is certainly not the answer either. 

Totally agree with Bjarnasson not being a CDM. 

From highlights Kodjia looked diabolical. I really think we were a better team last season without him. We need another option. Really think he needs dropping. Give RHM a go or even think Adomah would do better job than Kodjia in same formation

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

From highlights Kodjia looked diabolical. I really think we were a better team last season without him. We need another option. Really think he needs dropping. Give RHM a go or even think Adomah would do better job than Kodjia in same formation

He wasnt good. With Kodj though we know he has it in him. So maybe he just needs a goal.

McGinn fantastic debut, more of this please

I am not a Bruce hater or Lover, but he did try to please everyone. He gave the youngsters a game, blooded the new boys and made decent subs when needed.

Bringing on fresh legs while dropping Emo back was a great idea. 

We need a striker Kodja had chances

• Like 1

14 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Channel 37 on Freeview FYI.

After two hour-long episodes of Salvage Hunters.

Throw in a bag of pork scratchings, a box of tissues and the freeview number for Babestation and that’s a perfect Saturday night!

Right lads?

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Throw in a bag of pork scratchings, a box of tissues and the freeview number for Babestation and that’s a perfect Saturday night!

Right lads?

Depends which girls are on, if you know what I mean.

CDF53D43-3A04-439E-9789-8CB4FE7F1B6D.gif

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Rob182 said:

Right lads?

Bet you are barred from your local!

14 hours ago, Ponky said:

I don't buy this we got lucky business. Yes we were disjointed and plucky Wigan were on track for a win and then a draw until a late moment of quality got us home. Both teams got a goal from a defensive error but over the entirety of the game we had 17 shots to their 10. With a striker in halfway decent form it would have been a comfortable win. In my view of course. 

Too many unforced errors from our lot in my view.....If they can be eliminated, consistency will come.

Edited by TRO

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I thought the Wigan manager showed some class. He shook every Villa player by the hand after the game, and considering we'd just broke his heart with a last minute winner, it spoke volumes about his character.

does help ,when you come to sign players....thats the cynic in me.

Mourinho was a past master at it.

16 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I honestly don’t think the fans of any other football club would be so unhappy to win their first two games as the complaints in here. Hope we can keep it going!

There is no complaints, just observations.

We are all happy with 6 points, so far.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, AndyC said:

Anybody got a link for extended highlights please? 

just go on YouTube and subscribe to AVFC official and you get the extended highlights.  You don't even need to subscribe but as it's free why not!

Â