• Grealish
    • Kodjia
    • Adomah (Tuanzebe 64)
    • Hepburn-Murphy (Green 73)
    • Hourihane (Kodjia 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/08/18 at 18:45

27 minutes ago, chappy said:

Two wins from two without having looked very good... Got to be a good thing!

This is a good shout.

I just hope the improvement comes because it never did consistently for me last season. If we'd have played a bit more, we'd have easily gone up automatically.

With a team this good, we can go up again. Relying on individual talent isn't really a tactic that's worth paying £2m a year for.

Got lucky today. In patches decent going forwards but a mess at the back. Why play 2 centre midfielders in defence? Elphick not starting was strange. We all know Jedinak is not a defender since his performance at Derby away last season. We badly need another central defender. And yes Taylor has not been good for a while but he is our only left back at present.  Bjarnason is not a defensive midfielder- bruce could have played 3 other players correctly in that position and didn't, was which baffling.  I also found it strange that our 2 top goal scorers from last season did not even start. And that essentially half the team today has had no or very little pre season so far at Villa due to being new signings or just coming back from the world cup. It is not a wonder we looked very disjointed.  Still a win is a win I suppose.

I sometimes think Bruce over compensates, and then goes back to the norm. I think in pre season he said that he should have rotated the team more last year- so today he names half a new side from the match at Hull.  I suspect he will find his first XI and then stick to it once we get a few more in before the end of the month.

Moving fowards our defense need additions. And Nyland does not fill me with confidence unless that was first night nerves. Kodja has still to look like the player he was before he got injured about a year and a half ago, so we need another forward as well please Brucey.

Edited by The Fun Factory

Very impressed we kept pushing for the win and ended up getting it. 

Thought we were very poor though for large periods of the game. A lot of long balls forward and scraping for the second ball, and looked poor defensively.

Thing is, I think we will approach every game of the season in that manner and that's the most worrying thing for me. 

But, a win is a win and there were some positives out there.

• Like 2

Bit of a mixed bag today. I thought Grealish and McGinn were very good and linked up well together at times. I thought Green, Elmo, Hutton, Bjarnason and Chester did well. Jedinak was poor not for the first time at centre back. Axel to me doesn't look like a full back and certainly doesn't get forward enough to the point I can hardly remember him crossing the half way line. He clearly needs games though so I don't want to be too hard on him. Kodjia is lacking confidence and doesn't put enough of a shift in to make up for it and try to make things happen although did show more promise as the game went on. I thought Nyland looked nervous and I don't remember him coming for a cross and commanding his area which is a worry but it was only his first game behind what wasn't a tight defence.

Overall I thought we edged it but would have had no complaints with a draw. I was impressed with Wigan and they are certainly a threat going forward and will course plenty of teams problems although we did give them a helping hand. We will play better than this I have no doubt but it was good to see us go right to the last seconds in search of a winner. 

Clearly the squad needs strengthening at left back, centre back and up top and I expect it will be.

Great to see such a big crowd today and hopefully that feel good factor can continue and we as fans can play a part in a special season.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Am I missing something where is the championship highlights show on channel 5? Why is there a naff and crappy reboot of blind datw on instead??

IT’S ON QUEST CHANNEL 37 FREEVIEW CHANNEL SOMETHING ELSE (144?) SKY. There is also a Quest +1 if you miss it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

IT’S ON QUEST CHANNEL 37 FREEVIEW CHANNEL SOMETHING ELSE (144?) SKY. There is also a Quest +1 if you miss it. 

WHat the hell is quest tv? My god it’s that bad that channel 5 don’t even want it anymore

• Haha 2

Bruce really would melt your head ,from a manager that wouldn’t change the side with 2 games in 48 hrs he makes 6 changes from a winning side mind boggling ,plays a RB at LB a centre half at right back a holding midfielder at centre half ,but look we got the result but we are still short and defend like we did today and we won’t go up but it is a very good start to season and the potential is there to have a very good season.

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Good result......great debut for McGinn, very promising lad.

many underwhelming moments for me.....l'll leave it there.

Even if we’d played like Barca we wouldn’t have any more points

I’ll leave it there!

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Even if we’d played like Barca we wouldn’t have any more points

I’ll leave it there!

Its called building confidence.....and appearing convincing.........but yes, its all about winning.........I guess if the last goal never went in, the point would be more relevant.

shall we just wait until we lose.....to describe the play?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 4

I don't buy this we got lucky business. Yes we were disjointed and plucky Wigan were on track for a win and then a draw until a late moment of quality got us home. Both teams got a goal from a defensive error but over the entirety of the game we had 17 shots to their 10. With a striker in halfway decent form it would have been a comfortable win. In my view of course. 

• Like 2

Â