John McGinn

PompeyVillan

23 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yep, 100% this. 

Gave us far more presence going forward and around their box, instrumental in the goal, cracking player and not one who can be left on the bench. 

Yep, today probably wasnt a game for Hourihane, Jack and McGinn as a midfield 3 from the start and he was the unlucky one to miss out.  I can see Whelan and Conor rotating as deeper midfielder depending on the oppo, surely McGinn will be guaranteed to start from now on.  Nothing wrong with keeping players on their toes though.

Shame he didn’t start today, we’re a much better outfit with him in it, he’s dynamic. When Grealish and McGinn link up, it’s a joy to watch. Birmingham City couldn’t handle him, he’s a very good footballer 

Thought it was the right decision, Whelan can hold his own and make crunching tackles in these sorts of games. Didn't deserve to be dropped but he kind of made it an easy choice after a 5 minute spell of wtf. Passed the ball straight into touch 3 times under no pressure.

Enter McGinn full of energy and carrying the ball which altered our way of playing and put them on the back foot, we then had 3 or 4 good chances including the goal.

Proud of all of them tonight even Taylor  😂

Edited by brummybloke

I agreed with not starting him, the way the midfield played last week, you couldn’t drop them. Perfect response by McGInn showed that he wants the place and that he is worthy of the start. I thought his energy would aid us last quarter and he certainly showed that. Swung the game in our favour 

Edited by mikeyp102

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Shame he didn’t start today, we’re a much better outfit with him in it, he’s dynamic. When Grealish and McGinn link up, it’s a joy to watch. Birmingham City couldn’t handle him, he’s a very good footballer 

To build a team rapouryou couldn’t drop any of the midfield after Derby. Him on the bench was correct decision.

its amazing what a rest will have done for him. I felt he was jaded before he got the suspension.

Mark my words, he will be our best player against Forest because of his rest.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

To build a team rapouryou couldn’t drop any of the midfield after Derby. Him on the bench was correct decision.

its amazing what a rest will have done for him. I felt he was jaded before he got the suspension.

Mark my words, he will be our best player against Forest because of his rest.

I think you are correct, it was good management by Smith, it’s a squad game

The suspension has done him good. 

Also Smith's decision to keep him on the bench was correct. Encourages the ethos of you only start if you're performing. Against Derby no one deserved to be dropped. Today McGinn showed why he should be in the starting line up. It's good for competition.

• Like 1

The most valuable arse in the Championship.

If any club should come in for him, the price is 20 million for each cheek.

Edited by AJ
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd bring him in for Hourihane, not Whelan.

The best parts of his game don't suit that deep role. He often carries the ball out of trouble and that can be risky from defensive areas. He also is someone whose energy is vital in closing down; again that doesn't necessarily suit that deep role, you need to have eyes everywhere and marshall space in front of defence instead of close the ball from your position.

Whelan best man to start in that position until later in the game. McGinn and Grealish too good to leave out. Hourihane drops to the bench for me.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 3

Â