John McGinn

PompeyVillan

10 hours ago, brommy said:

The reason why the papers are reporting (read as guessing) that Rodgers wants McGinn is precisely because he wanted him at Celtic. It’s perfectly possible but not certain and needs filing under ‘lazy journalism’. In other news - brexit might happen.

Quite possibly. But for that exact reason I expect it to be a possibility, as I doubt McGinn was desperate to play for Aston Villa. I imagine he wanted to play in England, and work his way to the premier league, which he could now do. Rodgers now has a better chance to get him than he did at Celtic.

just read @Dave-R‘s post about the owners not selling our prized assets on the cheap. Which is true, given that if anybody wants our players then they pay the full buy out clause. But has anybody any idea what Mcginn’s buy out clause is? I imagine he’s worth a hell of a lot more than what we thought he’d be, but he hasn’t signed a contract extension where we could put in an updated buyout clause has he?

Edited by 7392craig
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Keep him on bench next week. Imagine his energy as an impact sub

I agree with this. They were saying yesterday on WM, Davis came back for them yesterday after months out and looked unfit. Craig Gardner likewise. Gary Gardner can’t play....

Therefore last half hr they will have no legs in midfield, bring McGinn on then and his legs in midfield will terrorise them

Don't agree with bringing McGinn on late as fresh legs.

The man is still fresh after 90 minutes.

It's not like he's gassing after 20 minutes that he'd better asd as impact sub.

Well the papers are saying Leicester are willing to meet our 20m valuation for mcginn. That alone will help significantly with ffp. As much as I love mcginn grealish is more important to us so if that were to help us keep grealish and help address ffp then we have no choice but to sell in summer.

20mis a great deal for us 

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Well the papers are saying Leicester are willing to meet our 20m valuation for mcginn. That alone will help significantly with ffp. As much as I love mcginn grealish is more important to us so if that were to help us keep grealish and help address ffp then we have no choice but to sell in summer.

It is considering we payed £3 million.

You want to win football, get back on top you keep your prized stallions not sell them on. How about we keep both Mcginn and Grealish build off of them. If we sell we will be back to square one trying to find players who fit together, bringing in players who we hope have the same workrate and attitude as those two. So far weve picked up a few more like Mings and Hause to me this is what the owners plan is, we are building something that requires us to keep hold of key players. I believe our owners will yet again make it clear hands off Grealish and hands off Mcginn unless as I said before a crazy offer comes in and I do not believe 20 million is a crazy enough offer for Mcginn. Mcginn will command a fortune I think especially if premier clubs come knocking he is one player where a bid war could start very easily. I do not think FFP is a thing, that's just me, when your spending 7 million on a keeper and other players then FFP can't be a thing, we would of been loaning without any clause to buy in these Loans.

At the moment all we say is assumptions and speculation on whether our star players will stay or leave, come summer we will know if our owners want to make money or to really build a team capable of winning, I would put a bet it being the latter.

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

You want to win football, get back on top you keep your prized stallions not sell them on. How about we keep both Mcginn and Grealish build off of them. If we sell we will be back to square one trying to find players who fit together, bringing in players who we hope have the same workrate and attitude as those two. So far weve picked up a few more like Mings and Hause to me this is what the owners plan is, we are building something that requires us to keep hold of key players. I believe our owners will yet again make it clear hands off Grealish and hands off Mcginn unless as I said before a crazy offer comes in and I do not believe 20 million is a crazy enough offer for Mcginn. Mcginn will command a fortune I think especially if premier clubs come knocking he is one player where a bid war could start very easily. I do not think FFP is a thing, that's just me, when your spending 7 million on a keeper and other players then FFP can't be a thing, we would of been loaning without any clause to buy in these Loans.

At the moment all we say is assumptions and speculation on whether our star players will stay or leave, come summer we will know if our owners want to make money or to really build a team capable of winning, I would put a bet it being the latter.

Just out of curiosity how do you expect us to address ffp if we dint go up this year if we don’t sell our players?

Edited by Demitri_C

Purely speculating but I don’t think FFP is not as black and white as people think. The football league want to ensure clubs don’t go bankrupt. They will discuss plans with clubs to decide if they are gambling with the clubs future or whether they have a sound plan to get back in the black.. That’s why they like/ of Blues are being punished whereas we continue to spend.

i think fans are worrying too much. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Purely speculating but I don’t think FFP is not as black and white as people think. The football league want to ensure clubs don’t go bankrupt. They will discuss plans with clubs to decide if they are gambling with the clubs future or whether they have a sound plan to get back in the black.. That’s why they like/ of Blues are being punished whereas we continue to spend.

i think fans are worrying too much. 

Thankyou and well said.

I think he HAS to come back in next week. But I'm not sure who misses out or gets reshuffled to accommodate him.

McGinn is far better than Whelan, but I think people have underestimated how important a proper DM is in the team so Whelan performing the way he is could be essential.

It's a tough choice for Smith. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think he HAS to come back in next week. But I'm not sure who misses out or gets reshuffled to accommodate him.

McGinn is far better than Whelan, but I think people have underestimated how important a proper DM is in the team so Whelan performing the way he is could be essential.

I don't think he will make any changes for the blues game. What message does it send to the players If he dropped anyone after the Derby performance?!

37 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I don't think he will make any changes for the blues game. What message does it send to the players If he dropped anyone after the Derby performance?!

Football doesn't work like that though. You can't just keep the same team every week.

The QPR game showed us that last year. Changes are often necessary.

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If that is actually our valuation then we had better raise it to £30m then. ;)

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I’d agree that intuitively he has to. He’s clearly one of our best players and it is now a huge huge game. I’m tempted to swap him for Whelan and keep Conor higher. He looks like he has all the tools to play that role really well. Equally he could just come in for Conor. It is a tough choice for Smith but that’s what he’s paid to do and you’d rather have that then having to choose between Jedinak or Bjarnasson which it was a few weeks back. 

• Like 1

It’s ok having the tools but it isn’t necessarily that easy to use them effectively with little experience in that role. Whelan may lack certain things but he definitely knows how to play that role. Putting McGinn in there on Sunday from the start would be a huge risk. 

Â