John McGinn

PompeyVillan

13 minutes ago, SuperJohnMcGinn said:

Morning all,

I'm a Hibs season ticket holder so thought I'd join your forum to give you an insight in to John McGinn and what to expect if you manager to sign him which I sincerely hope you do.

John McGinn is probably the most loved Hibs player within the support and the club and has been since he joined 4 years ago. During this time we've seen him develop from a rough diamond with potential to a genuinely top quality midfielder who IMO should be Scotland's first choice midfielder right now.

John's biggest attribute is his spirit, you get these players every so often like your Gerrard's, Schole's etc that have the ability to lift a team and drive them on. John will bring that in abundance, if a game is going against you he will single handedly give everything he's got to drag the team back in to it through grit, determination and fight. On the flipside, if you're winning a game well John has the classy side of his game as well, excellent strength, ability to spray 50 yard passes with ease and a very decent turn of pace.

He also has a wicked left foot on him and the majority of his goals tend to come from drives from outside the box including two 25 yard strikes in a 2-2 draw at Celtic Park last season.

He will dominate the midfield in most games he plays and Scott Brown who's been the Celtic captain for 10 years said last season McGinn was the most difficult midfielder he's ever played against in Scotland.

The bigger the game, the bigger the performance you'll get from McGinn and he will never ever be accused of hiding.

In my opinion John McGinn will be an English premiership player within 2-3 years whether it be with Villa or another club.

From a Hibs fans perspective Villa would be a cracking move though.

Best of luck for the season ahead and hopefully you guys get promotion!

Thanks for that! As someone pointed out upthread, two of our finest ever players came from the Hibs academy - Alex Cropley and Des Bremner. If he's half as good as those two, he'll do nicely. Best of luck to your boys this season, and drop into VT whenever you like! 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Some lovely long passing, crossing and some good pace and hustling on this:

He's already found a marauding Hutton on the right wing in the first clip of this video. That'll do for me.

• Like 1

It's also worth mentioning that there's another piece to this puzzle that could still affect the deal. Hibs are also after a former player of ours, Scott Allan, from Celtic and the talk throughout the summer is that we would get him back in any deal we make with Celtic for McGinn so if Celtic match Villa's offer then it gives Hibs a bigger headache. Overall the club would prefer him to go to Villa but know that we need Scott Allan and creating tension between us and Celtic would not bode well for future negotiations.

1 minute ago, SuperJohnMcGinn said:

It's also worth mentioning that there's another piece to this puzzle that could still affect the deal. Hibs are also after a former player of ours, Scott Allan, from Celtic and the talk throughout the summer is that we would get him back in any deal we make with Celtic for McGinn so if Celtic match Villa's offer then it gives Hibs a bigger headache. Overall the club would prefer him to go to Villa but know that we need Scott Allan and creating tension between us and Celtic would not bode well for future negotiations.

Ah Scott Allan the Baggies reject also played number of time for clubs on loan down here including the unwashed. Never rated that guy myself i am sure you can find a lot better with the money for McGinn.

Edited by Villan4Life

22 minutes ago, SuperJohnMcGinn said:

Morning all,

I'm a Hibs season ticket holder so thought I'd join your forum to give you an insight in to John McGinn and what to expect if you manager to sign him which I sincerely hope you do.

John McGinn is probably the most loved Hibs player within the support and the club and has been since he joined 4 years ago. During this time we've seen him develop from a rough diamond with potential to a genuinely top quality midfielder who IMO should be Scotland's first choice midfielder right now.

John's biggest attribute is his spirit, you get these players every so often like your Gerrard's, Schole's etc that have the ability to lift a team and drive them on. John will bring that in abundance, if a game is going against you he will single handedly give everything he's got to drag the team back in to it through grit, determination and fight. On the flipside, if you're winning a game well John has the classy side of his game as well, excellent strength, ability to spray 50 yard passes with ease and a very decent turn of pace.

He also has a wicked left foot on him and the majority of his goals tend to come from drives from outside the box including two 25 yard strikes in a 2-2 draw at Celtic Park last season.

He will dominate the midfield in most games he plays and Scott Brown who's been the Celtic captain for 10 years said last season McGinn was the most difficult midfielder he's ever played against in Scotland.

The bigger the game, the bigger the performance you'll get from McGinn and he will never ever be accused of hiding.

In my opinion John McGinn will be an English premiership player within 2-3 years whether it be with Villa or another club.

From a Hibs fans perspective Villa would be a cracking move though.

Best of luck for the season ahead and hopefully you guys get promotion!

Thanks chap. We've got another Scottish chap with that sort of spirit, Sir Alan of Huttonshire. If wee John has just a bit of what Sir Alan does, we're onto a winner. 

We'll look after him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

Ah Scott Allan the Baggies reject also played number of time for clubs on loan down here including the unwashed. Never rated that guy myself i am sure you can find a lot better with the money for McGinn.

Yep, that's him, Allan is a very strange one, literally failed at every club he's went too apart from Hibs, just one of these players that suits certain clubs.

3 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

Thanks chap. We've got another Scottish chap with that sort of spirit, Sir Alan of Huttonshire. If wee John has just a bit of what Sir Alan does, we're onto a winner. 

We'll look after him. 

You'll grow to love him very quickly and he probably has more about him than Hutton ever did to be honest although I have rated Hutton quite highly. Anything under £5 million is a steal for McGinn.

1 minute ago, SuperJohnMcGinn said:

Yep, that's him, Allan is a very strange one, literally failed at every club he's went too apart from Hibs, just one of these players that suits certain clubs.

Yep, i'm sure you could get him on a pre-contract in Jan as he is out of contract next summer isn't he? In my view mate plenty of much better midfielders around than Allan probably on less wages that you could bring to your club but obviously Allan has done it for you guys before.

Good luck for the season.

Edited by Villan4Life

4 minutes ago, SuperJohnMcGinn said:

Cheers buddy! Was actually down at Villa Park for a Premiership game v Man United in the home end about 8-9 years ago now I reckon, Villa went 2-0 up via Ashley Young and Mark Albrighton then United unfortunately got two late goals back. Cracking atmosphere and a beautiful stadium though, was made to feel really welcome by the Villa faithful!

Argh that game!  Although better than the one a year or two later where we went 2 up and United got 3 late goals.

Haven't beat the bastards at home since 1995.

So how does McGinn fit in then? He seems like a traditional center mid, could he be the 'holding' player to give Whelan a bit of a breather? Or competition for Hourihane. 

He doesn't seem like a replacement for Grealish to me. 

4 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Argh that game!  Although better than the one a year or two later where we went 2 up and United got 3 late goals.

Haven't beat the bastards at home since 1995.

We let a 2 goal lead a few times vs them. Fa cup game as well was horrible 

Just now, Zatman said:

We let a 2 goal lead a few times vs them. Fa cup game as well was horrible 

Yep and we've blown countless 1 goal leads against them too.

I will always despise Manchester United with every fibre of my being.  Completely ruined my childhood.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sounds like my type of midfielder. A Platt, Taylor, Viera, Petit type. Always baffled me why Arsenal stopped playing with that type of midfield. They've been weak in that area since adopting the tippy tappy lightweight midfield.

9 minutes ago, PompeyVillan said:

So how does McGinn fit in then? He seems like a traditional center mid, could he be the 'holding' player to give Whelan a bit of a breather? Or competition for Hourihane. 

He doesn't seem like a replacement for Grealish to me. 

He it a typical all action midfielder who can do the dirty side but also the free flowing attack side. He is used to playing in an interchangeable midfield three generally in the more attacking position. He could fit in to a CDM role but it would stifle him as a player and stop him making the impact he can on games.

• Like 1

Â