John McGinn

PompeyVillan

1 minute ago, KHV said:

It was quite clear today that he doesn't

We would have been much better with McGinn in today.  It would have been a cricket score. 

Just because a team played very well doesn't mean they can't improve. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Right 

Did you not see the Forest game? Put McGinn in for Whelan and we have the same trio in midfield as we did that night. Whelan , Grealish and Hourihane is the way to go.

3 minutes ago, KHV said:

Did you not see the Forest game? Put McGinn in for Whelan and we have the same trio in midfield as we did that night. Whelan , Grealish and Hourihane is the way to go.

But with a much tighter defence. 

You would say Hourihane but he scored two today so he has to stay. Mcginn will be on the bench next week. The only change will be for elphick. 

But McGinn is a great option from the bench. That's for sure against the blosers

• Like 1

It’s a tough decision to make but it doesn’t seem right if McGinn is on the bench. As much as there’s plenty of merit in keeping a winning team, it’s no guarantee that it will automatically produce the same outcome in the next match. You have to weigh up the next opposition (and in this case, the importance of the derby) and plan for that specific game. Whelan was great today, really great actually. But I think you can’t just use today in isolation for making a decision in picking/keeping a player. You have to assess the performances over the course of the season, and McGinn has arguably been our most consistent player this season. I feel Whelan is more at risk of making key mistakes than McGinn so I’d throw McGinn in. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

It’s a tough decision to make but it doesn’t seem right if McGinn is on the bench. As much as there’s plenty of merit in keeping a winning team, it’s no guarantee that it will automatically produce the same outcome in the next match. You have to weigh up the next opposition (and in this case, the importance of the derby) and plan for that specific game. Whelan was great today, really great actually. But I think you can’t just use today in isolation for making a decision in picking/keeping a player. You have to assess the performances over the course of the season, and McGinn has arguably been our most consistent player this season. I feel Whelan is more at risk of making key mistakes than McGinn so I’d throw McGinn in. 

Whelan was appalling against SHA at Villa Park so no way should he play. I'd like to see McGinn in front of the back four because he's a tough tackler and has the required energy to play there. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, villarocker said:

Whelan was appalling against SHA at Villa Park so no way should he play. I'd like to see McGinn in front of the back four because he's a tough tackler and has the required energy to play there. 

Agree. I just don’t think you lose any quality by having McGinn in in place of Glenn. 

Edited by roonst83

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Hourihane sat right in front of the back 4 that night. He was awful. Just saying. He was good today but can't pretend that night didn't happen. McGinn for Whelan next week for me. Horses for courses. They aren't going to sit back at home. They'll come at us and we need energy in midfield.

I think most of us agree that Hourihane isn’t great as a DM, and a lot of people also don’t like Whelan mostly due to his severe lack of pace. Hourihane proved again today that he needs to be further up the pitch to have any effect. McGinn isn’t really there for goals or assists and I’d say Jack and Hourihane together cover enough attacking intent to warrant them playing the advanced roles. McGinn is full of energy, a tough tackler and great at getting box to box. Personally I’d love to see him in the DM spot with Jack and Hourihane in front, as he’d do the job and still get forward when we have the ball. Unlike the DM’s we’ve had in the past who’ve effectively been an extra CB and offered little going forward. We need a DM with energy.

Edited by 7392craig
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Also, just seen the papers are reporting Rodgers wants McGinn as his first Leicester signing. Considering he wanted him at Celtic I can see this one being true.

Also linked with Boyata, cant see Rodgers veing allowed final say on transfers for long if this his type of player 😂

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Also, just seen the papers are reporting Rodgers wants McGinn as his first Leicester signing. Considering he wanted him at Celtic I can see this one being true.

The reason why the papers are reporting (read as guessing) that Rodgers wants McGinn is precisely because he wanted him at Celtic. It’s perfectly possible but not certain and needs filing under ‘lazy journalism’. In other news - brexit might happen.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Yes but if it is true I can't see Mcginn leaving or being sold cheap now, Leicester will have to pay a fortune for him now not like the 3mill Rodgers tried to pay.

I think I've called it many times over Grealish and Mcginn that our owners will not let them go next season unless some absoloute crazy offer comes in for each of them. I just don't think the owners are going to let the stars go, not if they want to build something for the future we will need to keep all of those players who have more than shown there worth this season to build off.

It's annoying because we had just got over spurs trying to come in for Jack and that will no doubt start up again soon. Our owners in the summer are going to have to show face because I can't see interest in either jack or John going away.

Our owners won't want to stamp interest out to early as the more interest shows they are highly wanted and drives price up. At some point they will have to say enough is enough and that those we want to keep are ours so keep away.

I think Mcginn will be called in at some point and be getting a new contract very much like what jacks is. No one knows the real details of jacks contract do we, it's a mystery but I would put a bet that he's staying put with villa for some time. Why do I think that Jacks staying put, because of the way the Americans work with tieing down players in there sports, they don't like to let there stars go unless a crazy offer comes in. However the fact that sawiris and edans have stated we want to rise villa from the ashes and win things tells me were not a selling club any longer unless it's to get rid of those that we do not want.

FFP has  been another mystery to us fans regarding our club. Many thought we were still I'm bad shape with FFP but there's not been a sniff from the EFL or anyone since the recent signings, no warning or nothing. I think we're not in any real danger anymore and investment is being bought in, enough anyway that we are no where near desperate to sell Jack or John. We've got some experience leaders now who know what they are doing in bringing money in and working back alley channels and way round rules. When you have the guy that helped set up FFP then it goes for you, that's like having the backdoor key for a program you just made.

I think we as a club are very much sorted financially for a very long time and it's in very capable hands who want to see our club win things. 

When you look at this list of who's who at the club, it's pretty impressive. I didn't know that Brian little was advisor to the board though and has been since 2016 apparently that one slipped right over my head I must say.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/club/whos-who

Edited by Dave-R

Â