John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 17/02/2019 at 02:58, briny_ear said:

I got shouted down last time I suggested he should try to stop getting so many pointless bookings but here he is now getting a 2 match suspension when we really need him. 

It’s a flaw in his game that should be corrected.

Could be wrong, but I think the last one wads for "dissent"? That ref booked a few players for that.

Overall I agree though.

Hope he enjoys his break. I can't remember a player who deserves one as much as McGinn. He's been doing the work of 3 for the last several games. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Merson08 said:

According to the Birmingham Mail, Dean Smith is using John McGinn as a LB in training while he is suspended. As he is unavailable he doesn't need him with the other midfielders. 

Seems a strange place to put McGinn for training. 

He’s probably playing against the first team in practice as we don’t have a back up there. Makes sense really 

• Like 1

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Surprises me, I didn’t see the game today but how did you come to that conclusion?

Surprised me too but he's not contributed a great deal lately and we coped fine in the midfield, dominating possession. 

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Sadly enough, didn't really miss him today. 

I think he could have made the difference with how we were playing in the second half to be honest.

More driving forward through the middle and we could have won the game.

Just now, lexicon said:

Surprised me too but he's not contributed a great deal lately and we coped fine in the midfield, dominating possession. 

Agreed but I still think McGinn is one of our best players, when McGinn and Grealish are in the same midfield, it’s some sight, were we on top for the most of the match then? I haven’t seen the match so can’t comment

6 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Agree with this. We got a bargain and i love his energy but not the complete player some seem to think he is. I keep reading that he will be off along with Jack, cant see it myself, we are about his level at the momemt, hopefully he will develop as i hope the team as a whole do next season and be ready for prem when we get back up (how ever long that’ll be). But right now no way is a premier league team coming in for him, not good enough with final ball and a bit raw still. 

I’ve just said pretty much the same in another thread. Great player but not currently PL quality. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, honest_bertie said:

Agree with this. We got a bargain and i love his energy but not the complete player some seem to think he is. I keep reading that he will be off along with Jack, cant see it myself, we are about his level at the momemt, hopefully he will develop as i hope the team as a whole do next season and be ready for prem when we get back up (how ever long that’ll be). But right now no way is a premier league team coming in for him, not good enough with final ball and a bit raw still. 

Agree. When he learns to look up and release the ball at the right time he will be a really top player. 

Currently he'll do something wonderful but then go again when there's no need to. 

That's all that's holding him back IMO 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, lexicon said:

Certainly. Not saying he's anything but a good player but he's not looked that decent lately. Think some time off will be good for him.

Totally agree with this. I actually thought he was one of the worst players on the pitch against Brentford.

I like McGinn, but he isn’t Premier League standard. He’s a very good championship level midfielder.

After Jacks injury, he has been given the number ten role. He isn’t a 10.  If you ask me he is a very good number 8. And could play for a middle Premier league team in that position. He works hard, is good physically and scores goals. He had a good understanding with Grealish. Maybe he will  get it with Carroll.

7 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

After Jacks injury, he has been given the number ten role. He isn’t a 10.  If you ask me he is a very good number 8. And could play for a middle Premier league team in that position. He works hard, is good physically and scores goals. He had a good understanding with Grealish. Maybe he will  get it with Carroll.

I think you are correct 

Â