John McGinn

PompeyVillan

11 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

That's got more heat patterns than a Global Hypercolor t-shirt. 

Google it Kidz. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 1

Not the best passer of the ball, not the best tackler, not the most skilful and his shooting is hit and miss. Inspite of this he probably our most important player and the fans absolutely adore him. 

There is a lesson in all this for anyone hoping to make it as a football player. 

Just now, av1 said:

Not the best passer of the ball, not the best tackler, not the most skilful and his shooting is hit and miss. Inspite of this he probably our most important player and the fans absolutely adore him. 

There is a lesson in all this for anyone hoping to make it as a football player. 

If he had any of those other attributes, he'd be at a top Premier League team already.  His work ethic is World Class, which is why I have no doubt he'll get there eventually.  

On 16/01/2019 at 22:07, S-Platt said:

A mate of mine met him on the train at Watford said he was a top bloke and had a good chinwag!  Loving life apparently nice to hear.

Was McGinn running alonsgside the train at the time? As I believe that is how he gets about. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Surprised he starts considering he can't do anything. 😀 He's a damn sight more than effort. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

Surprised he starts considering he can't do anything. 😀 He's a damn sight more than effort. 

That's not what I said is it. 

23 minutes ago, av1 said:

That's not what I said is it. 

It's exactly what you said. He's not the..... and then listed all of the things he's not the best at. 

Imo

I think he is the best tackler (faint praise in this team) 

i think he is the best passer

hes  not the most skilful, but he has bags of skill,

his shootings more Miss than hit. 

2 minutes ago, Stratvillan said:

It's exactly what you said. He's not the..... and then listed all of the things he's not the best at. 

Read it again and this time take a couple of seconds to think about it. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

The implication is that he's not the best at everything, but that his effort endears him to all, is the point I think you're trying to make. I disagree, I thinkthat he's much more than that. Not sure why I'd need to think anymore about it. 

Anyway, time to move on.

42 minutes ago, av1 said:

You DID say "in spite of", which is typically used after a negative - so I can see how someone would read into that and think the implication is that McGinn is basically just a try hard and that's why he's good for us.

FWIW, I agree he isn't the best at any of those things - however, he happens to be good at everything.  That works.

15 hours ago, av1 said:

Exactly as he was at Hibs and was always a fans favourite because of his attitude and work rate and so became a bit of a green and white talisman for the side and fans.

However I am beginning to get nagging doubts whether he will get to that next level as I would have hoped by now, playing for Villa in a better League and with better players he would be improving these other aspects of his game ( they are good but he could improve them to get to the next level) and so catch the eye of Premier League clubs. Chances to score yesterday which passed him by, which if he had taken would have averted the squeeky bum time in the last 10 when the tractor boys were striving for a leveller.

Hoping he does kick on but if this takes a long time at least this benefits Villa as PL teams won't come sniffing and the fans retain their claret and blue talisman.

Might have only been the bottom side yesterday but these are sometimes the hardest games as Ipswich are fighting for their Championship lives...........and the 3 points are the most important thing..........well done.👍

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Stratvillan said:

Imo

I think he is the best tackler (faint praise in this team) 

i think he is the best passer

hes  not the most skilful, but he has bags of skill,

his shootings more Miss than hit. 

12 hours ago, av1 said:

11 hours ago, bobzy said:

You DID say "in spite of", which is typically used after a negative - so I can see how someone would read into that and think the implication is that McGinn is basically just a try hard and that's why he's good for us.

FWIW, I agree he isn't the best at any of those things - however, he happens to be good at everything.  That works.

Having read my original post and the following conversation again I think I could have maybe worded my post better and my response to @Stratvillan was uncalled for, so apologies. 

To clarify, and as I said in my OP McGinn is probably our most important player, I'm not saying his attributes work rate aside are poor, rather that the work rate elevates him to being a much, much better player than he would be without it. 

12 hours ago, praisedmambo said:

Next step is to add more goals. His running though is incredible.

This for me, he gets into the positions but I think its something that can be worked on. He has time as for example Frank Lampard didnt get into double digits for a league season until he was 26

• Like 1

Have said it many a time about Mcginn, he shows many in our squad the way that they should all be working towards, if only the rest had John's work rate. 

Â