John McGinn

PompeyVillan

7 hours ago, Dale said:

But he isn't in the Digne, Coutinho, Martinez class...

Doesn't have to be

If he's fit and healthy mcginn starts every week for us, would get 90 mins 38 times a year (somehow...) 

In thay context of course he will be in the same ballpark as those players 

The benchmark for wages won't necessarily be quality because that's subjective, mcginns agent would probably do one hell of a power point presentation on why he's better than coutinho if it meant he got more money 

That's why I keep saying chuk is smart to wait until after this summer before signing a deal, our average wage is about to go up, the wages of our subs is about to go up, he benchmarks himself against minutes not against age or quality, sanson is on the bench never playing earning £50k a week chuk gets 10 mins here and there but should accept half... Why would he do that? Mcginn plays more minutes than coutinho why should he happily accept a lower wage than him? 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CVByrne said:

I believe he is considered that level by managers. I think he's an on field leader. He's incredibly fit and has only been injured when he had a broken leg. I think he's an intelligent player and when he's asked to do something tactically different in a game he does it. 

He's one of those players who coaches love but fans will never see fully what he contributes. Only if you know the instructions he's been given for that game could you know. 

Mm well thats a bigger issue at Villa than a lot of things. I like McGinn but if he is starting for us next season we are ****. I do know Gerrard loves him and shows up his crap judgement 

10 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Why would Tottenham want him. They already have at least 4 better midfielders already

Because he is a Conte type player. A player he can improve and make better if they want. 

Something our coaching team cant do and its so annoying 

12 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

Why would Tottenham want him. They already have at least 4 better midfielders already

Stranger things have happened, I find it bizarre that Conte would want him.

However, sometimes players can thrive in different clubs and systems due to the setup and supporting cast, whilst looking relatively poor in others.

We are in the " analytics " age ain't we?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

So no players have improved this season then 🤔

You seen the players player of the season and the fans player of the season yet?

But they play the same way they did before. I dont see your point. They improved playing the natural game. 

McGinn is the player in our team that needs coaching the most if we are honest and not hard. 

Our last manager made Mings, Hause, Whelan, Elmo, Hourihane, AEG, Trez and Luiz improve for example and a few more 

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

But they play the same way they did before. I dont see your point. They improved playing the natural game. 

McGinn is the player in our team that needs coaching the most if we are honest and not hard. 

Our last manager made Mings, Hause, Whelan, Elmo, Hourihane, AEG, Trez and Luiz improve for example and a few more 

There’s no one so blind as he that shall not see. 

• Like 1

I absolutely love SJM but it has been a stall in progress across this season for him.  Not sure if you saw the Fifa video that he did with JJ but he even said briefly "I'm sure my stats are down this year" when talking about how their player ratings on the game.  I'm sure he's conscious of it but then again, I do wonder if we have just completely screwed him by playing in a non-attacking role.  He's an all-rounder which hasn't helped this, fitting in to different places, covering for Luiz in DM, barely ever getting forward - I don't think I've seen him have a shot in the box this season.  He thrives there for Scotland and whilst we have a lot of talent in the forward lines now I do wonder where we could push him into a more advanced position and make the most of the lad.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

To be fair to him we play him completely different to how he plays for Scotland 

He's still an attack minded midfielder, who should be doing more in the course of a season for us. Also, he's scored most of his goals for Scotland against absolutely dismal teams like San Marino and Israel etc.

53 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

McGinn is incredibly fit? That's why you never see him have any impact on a game past 70 minutes except for arse blocking a ball and falling over.

He certainly doesn't look incredibly fit.

1 minute ago, Risso said:

He certainly doesn't look incredibly fit.

You're basing that on his massive arse. I keep telling you that your obsession with men's arses has got to stop

47 minutes ago, The Rosk said:

I absolutely love SJM but it has been a stall in progress across this season for him.  Not sure if you saw the Fifa video that he did with JJ but he even said briefly "I'm sure my stats are down this year" when talking about how their player ratings on the game.  I'm sure he's conscious of it but then again, I do wonder if we have just completely screwed him by playing in a non-attacking role.  He's an all-rounder which hasn't helped this, fitting in to different places, covering for Luiz in DM, barely ever getting forward - I don't think I've seen him have a shot in the box this season.  He thrives there for Scotland and whilst we have a lot of talent in the forward lines now I do wonder where we could push him into a more advanced position and make the most of the lad.

I dont get why he plays so deep either. He's better bursting in to the box and shooting closer too.

Â