John McGinn

PompeyVillan

He played ok apart from the glaring mistakes that could/would have led to goals if the opposition was better (as shown against Belgium). He was generally quite good apart from 5-10 minutes either side of half time when he just turned to shit and just gave the ball away every time it came near him resulting in the mentioned errors

Corner for the 2nd goal was good but the goal was more a result of some Nyland like goalkeeping rather than the corner being anything spectacular and the exact same corner 2 minutes later resulted in an easy clearance for the keeper that time.

Mail match report seems to agree.

" The reminder that Albania were no Belgium came four minutes before and half-time.

John McGinn gifted the opening goal to the ruthless World Cup semi-finalists and this was a night when the Aston Villa midfielder did some things right and a few things catastrophically wrong.

An awful pass on the halfway line allowed Ledian Memushaj to run 30 yards and thump a hopeless shot wide of goal.

Naismith nodded an Andy Robertson cross towards goal a minute after the restart and when Berat Gjimshiti deflected the ball into the net the assumption was that would be that.

Yet McGinn almost cancelled out the advantage with another blunder minutes later,.This time a short left-foot passback forced Allan McGregor to race from his line to meet Bekim Balaj as the Albanian number 19's bottle sank collapsed."

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6152617/Scotland-2-0-Albania-Steven-Naismith-bags-brace-Nations-League-quest-great-start.html

& the daily record had this to say

Box Office McGinn

The all-action midfielder has been earning rave reviews for his displays for Aston Villa since departing Hibs in the summer. The tough-tackler has a little bit of everything to his game but he was caught out on a couple of occasions with passes which would punish you against better opposition. He should know, he had a howler against Belgium on Friday and the real quality national sides will make you pay. He oozes quality but McGinn must be mindful and avoid kamikaze passes when a more simple option is available but let’s enjoy him for what he is, a real throwback and a player willing to make it happen.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-match-reports/scotland-2-albania-0-steven-13222283

Edited by LakotaDakota
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If this guy can start getting more shots on target he could be like the Championships Steven Gerrard. So much pace power and stamina. Hats off to Bruce and the club for this signing. 

He is very good isn’t he? Reminds me of an old fashioned midfielder; great stamina, a bit of bite in the tackle and great passing ability.

• Like 1

Very very good player. I think he would be even better if he chose the simple option at times. With his ability to be everywhere fighting for possession, you don't need to try and beat players and hit passes across the center that opens us up for counters. 

Still, by far the best purchase we've made in a while. Not sure how many players Bruce has signed, but this one is up there. 

• Like 1

My boy got McGinn to sign his shirt after the game last night, he seems like a lovely guy. When he saw my lad had McGinn on his shirt he had a little chat with my lad, it made his day. 

Seems like a top fella aswell as being a top player. 

Â